Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

California's High Speed Rail Project Runs Out of Money

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Oct 13, 2021.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Things have gotten so desperate that they are thinking about pulling people around with a diesel locomotive (at low speed) on one section of track that might be finished soon. As is typical for government projects in general (and HSR in particular), the final cost is projected to be triple the original estimate and close to a decade behind schedule.

California bullet train's latest woe: Will it be high speed?

Florida dodged a bullet with HSR during Obama's administration.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember years ago there was a poster who was a huge proponent of Florida's HSR. There were numerous threads about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, it was supposed to be shiny and new. If that doesn't make it a good investment, I don't know what does.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    The boondoggle everyone saw coming.

"It's the latest setback for the project, originally expected to cost $33 billion and be completed last year. Today the vision of shuttling passengers between Los Angeles and San Francisco in less than three hours is a distant dream. The first leg of rideable track, connecting two cities in the Central Valley, won't start until at least 2029, and the project's costs have ballooned to $98 billion."

Now, just IMAGINE what would happen to the cost of the 12 TRILLION dollar Green Deal idiocy. o_O

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but i thought california had a 20 billion dollar surplus.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    $75 billion. This is about appropriations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wait, I thought I had heard it was either going to be Free or Mexico would pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    We didn't dodge it. We just had to wait until a crony of Scott's was willing to do it and that's what is happening.

9. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    There are a lot of issues for HSR to work and mostly it's our love of our cars and being used to going anywhere at anytime and not having to schedule things.
    Like most things it sounds like a really good idea until you start getting into the details.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was one that voiced my opinion opposing that potential boondoggle. The boondoggle that I knew it would be.

Also, didn't someone here just post that California had $85 billion budget surplus? Or some amount in the area.

11. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    I would absolutely take a HSR train to Miami to spend the day or weekend there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Man, if there was an easy way to take HSR from S FL to Gainesville for football games, absolutely sign me up. The turnpike traffic has been horrible for YEARS now. And apparently "your toll dollars at work" would rather build sound/noise walls everywhere rather than add a third traffic lane. It's maddening...

• Like Like x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Miami/Orlando/Tampa HSR would be great for international flights (or air travel in general) too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    How come when we spend money on high speed rail it is a boondoggle, but when we build new roads it is "infrastructure spending."

ALL government (and corporate) spending has the potential to be poorly used. However, it is idiotic to ignore that rail plays a role in relieving congestion and addressing climate change. Anybody who has been to Europe or Asia knows how effective high speed rail can be (and how great the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka is).

As for HSR in Florida, bright line is on its way from Miami to Orlando (then Tampa). Count me as one that would love not to pay $20+ to park at the airport.

But back to the topic - seems that this sums up the entire analysis from some:
    Government spending to support carbon based transportation (from fighting wars in the middle east, to subsidizing gas extraction thru taxes/leases, to paying for roads) is good. Any spending on non-carbon energy sources is bad.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Cars sound like a really good idea too until you start getting into the details of how they've locked us into a system of transport that is going to make the earth a pretty hot and bad place to live (not to mention the countless ways automobiles have made current life bad for anyone near a city). But yeah, I dont have to memorize a train schedule to go most places.

16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Or get an Uber when you get there. The train system in NYC, Boston, Chicago etc. are very good and if you live there, you don't need a car. With HSR, it's kind of a replacement for an airplane ride (to Miami to Tampa). I don't think HSR will be a replacement for cars like in those big cities. Not sure if that is the intent or not.

Even the trolley here in downtown Tampa isn't heavily used (by locals anyway).

17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It'll be 250 billion by 2028.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I used to be a fan of it. Not so much now. One of the problems is where do you have stops. There is good rail service in the NE, including subways. The country is just too big. I would love one between Asheville and the airports in Atlanta and Charlotte, or to Gainesville for football games. Everyone has their wish list.

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    At one time, trains stopped even in the tiniest of towns because that's how people got around. The issue is more in how you connect those stops to all the sprawl encouraged by widespread use of cars.

20. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    And the problem is, once you add all those wish list stops, the train is not high speed because it has too damn many stops. Or you add in your time driving to the train station, and transportation (uber? rental car?) at the destination and you're not saving any time.

NYC has great train/subway service. Europe too. But with the suburban sprawl and typical city designs we have, that stuff just doesn't work the same way here, because everything is designed to be car centric. A train that dumps me on the outskirts of Orlando is of limited benefit when it's a headache to get anywhere from there.

I've done trips to London where we just set up base camp in a budget hotel across the street from King's Cross / St Pancras. Easy access to anywhere you want to go via the tube (in London) or rail (outside London). From that as a base we've literally taken day trips to Dover and York. You have easy access to/from Gatwick airport.

Heck, an express train from London to Edinburgh is basically a wash with flying, at around 4 hours. To fly the same route, you need 45 minutes to get to the airport, an hour and a half to clear security, sit at the gate, board, etc. Then a short hour and a half flight. But the train is far more comfortable and scenic. And dumps you a block off the royal mile. Trains here don't work that way...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1