Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

California to Prosecute Desi?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Even if the notion that there was fraud was undisputed, the notion that DeSantis took part in that fraud is not only disputed, it is unsubstantiated by any evidence. Yet, here we have Gavin Newsom and Too Hot posters calling for DeSantis's head.

Ahh... thanks for the silent part out loud. It's not about the fraud, the fraud may be bad, but it's not about the fraud. It's that you don't like DeSantis sending illegal immigrants to Sacramento, so you want criminal punishment for it as a deterrence.

That my friends, is politicizing the justice system.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Surprisingly I dont? Like I understand the "protest" aspect of this, but this does remind me of a lot of some liberal protests where they want vague "action" or to "draw attention to something" and don't have anything specific beyond that. Reminds me of the "force the vote" controversy, where some people wanted to force the vote on M4A in congress, even though there was no chance of the vote succeeding. It was just to get people on record ... and then? I dont know. People think shame works, and it does in some situations, but the American political system has insulated itself from shame and public anger in various ways. Charges of hypocrisy mean very little, and certainly dont spur any action that I can think of.

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You seem under the mistaken impression I don’t genuinely think what is done here is fraud/trafficking. I do, which is a big part of why I want it to stop. There is no “silent part”. This is not “politicizing” anything. Unless you think politicians should be able to commit crimes at will.

Ironically, even though it’s nowhere near as bad on the humanitarian front as using “kids in cages” as official govt policy, it is also much more apparent that the actions in misleading these people are criminal actions. It’s really simple. If you trick people to board a plane, lie about what awaits them, give them a piece of paper with false info, and dump them somewhere (whether that’s the VP’s home, Chicago, Martha’s Vinyard, wherever….) - that is human trafficking. There is no legitimacy to the transport if it’s done for false pretenses (otherwise known as fraud when money is exchanged).

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    So the Florida Division of Emergency Management has gone rogue, and cut DeSantis out of the loop? The same guy that keeps getting millions of dollars in appropriations to fund just such endeavors?

Why would anyone think his fingerprints are all over this?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    That's another confusing thing here, on the one hand DeSantis is trying to send a message loud and clear on sanctuary cities, on the other, who knows who actually ordered it, maybe it was a rogue official.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    It's a conundrum. Or do I mean a Catch 22? Maybe a paradox? Hmmm... :emoji_thinking:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    you mean like that poor guy from The Villages that dared to oppose their agenda so desi had him prosecuted for anything they could find and then sent his old, retired self to jail on some trumped up perjury charge because he revised his answer to the trumped up sunshine law violation after his wife talked to somebody? that was weaponization of the law to the highest order.

Revolt in The Villages Ended With a 72-Year-Old Political Prisoner (theintercept.com)

or threatening to take liquor licenses because a place hosts a drag show?

prosecuting trump for his many crimes or desi for his current crimes is just applying the law to criminals

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    No wonder the cost-per-immigrant was so high:

"The flight was operated by Berry Aviation, an active US defense contractor, according to flight tracking data on FlightRadar24. When reached on the phone, the company declined to comment. Acorn Growth Companies, an aerospace investment firm, which owns Berry Aviation, did not answer calls."

"Acorn’s managing partner, Rick Nagel of Oklahoma, is a major Republican fundraiser. He was the campaign treasurer for congressman Tom Cole, who chairs the House rules committee. Cole is a former head of the Republican National Congressional Committee and a fervent backer of Donald Trump’s anti-immigration policies."

Follow the money, and this whole circus is just a noxious stew of cronyism and corruption.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You're right.

The most logical explanation is DeSantis, like a movie villain, got a call from the grunts taking care of this and he was like "do whatever it takes to get them on that bus/plane, lie to them... oh and treat them as poorly as you possibly can."

[​IMG]

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and his buds are making bank off of it

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    False equivalence

Revolt in The Villages Ended With a 72-Year-Old Political Prisoner (theintercept.com)

False equivalence

Wrong. It's targeting the two front runners for the Republican nomination because you find them threatening.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    No, you're right. Some nameless "grunt," in the government approved the flights, made the arrangements, and disbursed millions, without running it by the boss. Makes perfect sense.

He's not at all like a movie villain. Just an unfortunately common money-grubby, spotlight-loving, power-hungry politician.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You missed the most important part: fraud.

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The question isn't whether he "ordered it."

It's whether he instructed them to lie.

There you go again being intentionally obtuse.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, guess again.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Dude I asked you if fraud is an element of the crime, then you must prove fraud beyond a reasonable doubt.

If my understanding is wrong (and it very well may be) make your case.

18. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Your Mr. Burns post didn't mention fraud.

19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015

Oh dear. :D

The migrants signed consent forms, said they had a good time, and were happy to be in California.

Nope, nothing political here.

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It mentioned lying.