Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

California politicians pushing for convicted felons to serve on juries

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Jun 14, 2019.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    California moves to let felons serve on juries – Orange County Register

Despite all of these efforts, the number of inmates hasn’t dropped dramatically enough to satisfy the state’s ruling Democrats, so they’re kicking tires on a new approach — rigging the jury system so no one gets convicted in the first place.

This most recent push is Senate Bill 310, authored by state Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, and would allow Californians who have prior felony convictions to serve on juries.

In a press release promoting the proposal, Skinner wrote, “SB310 will help ensure that California juries represent a fair cross-section of our communities…People with felony records have the right to vote in California. There is no legitimate reason why they should be barred from serving on a jury.”

Currently, felons are prevented from serving on juries because of their obvious and inherent bias against prosecutors and law enforcement.
    ------------------------

Just when you think the leftists can't dream up any crazier ideas. They may allow hardened felons to judge felony cases at trial.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not all convicted felons have an "obvious and inherent bias against prosecutors and law enforcement". When I was a prosecutor I left a convicted felon (with civil rights restored) on juries several times - once in a case involving the sexual battery/murder of a young child - resulting in guilty verdicts.

A 60 year old man with a prior conviction for burglary as an 18 year old or a conviction for drug smuggling during the 70's may well be a fully law abiding citizen and may make a good juror.

Prosecutors will continue to have the ability to exercise their judgment regarding whether any particular prospective juror with a prior felony conviction will be fair to the State and will be able to excuse those they feel will not.

This is not a big deal and will not result in the inability of the State to obtain convictions going forward. Just fear mongering from some conservatives because it is being proposed by democrats.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    In most states there are limits on how many people the prosecutors can strike from a jury. If California says hardened felons are eligible to serve it could lead to some crazy mess if even one makes it onto the jury.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While there are limits on the number of peremptory challenges of perspective jurors; there are no limits on challenges for cause. Obvious bias would probably fall into the latter category. In practical terms the probability of multiple convicted felons ending up in the jury pool would be relatively small meaning that any obviously or apparently biased former convicted felons would be struck using one or other form of challenge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    At this point I’d trust a convicted felon more than some of the corrupt pieces of garbage in the government.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I see your point but If I was a defense lawyer I would just try to get one of these crooks on the jury and play the crooked lying cops card if the crime wasn't caught on video.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What about cops, should they be barred from jury service for inherent bias?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I am less concerned about a felon on jury duty than I am about allowing them to carry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    If a felon has served his time and has his rights restored it should be up to the lawyers if they make a jury

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    No - but if I was a defense lawyer I would try to keep most of them off a criminal trial jury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Many times the crime of the "crooked lying cops" IS caught on video and Juries without any convicted felons see fit to let the criminals go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Wonder what the reaction will be when a convicted felon sitting on the jury makes a run for it and breaks out court. I would imagine they needs some heightened security in place.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I agree that dashcams and smartphones etc. have exposed how a lot of cops take liberties and outright lie with their arrest affidavits. When I used to be around court some when I worked for the state when dashcams started hitting the scene I couldnt believe how many DUI's and other late night stops were getting tossed for the cops lying about having a founded suspicion for the stops. Some of their reports would have you believe the person was swerving a lot and other nonsense and then the tape was played to the Judge and the person was driving fine and the cop pulled them because it was 2 am in reality and lied about it. In the past those cases would just go by what the lying cop said.

• Like Like x 2
  14. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 All American

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm pretty sure they are talking about convicted felons that have already served their time and have become a part of society.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly. So why shouldn't the same hold true here? If both lawyers are ok with the person, I don't see why we should complain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    And . . . ? This is no big deal. The prosecutor can use his strikes if he wants.

Checkmate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Given it's CA it's difficult to tell what is on these peoples minds.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Only the cops that are convicted criminals... Or do think that all cops are bad and not worthy of being a juror?

19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... that as more like a checkers move. :rolleyes:

20. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bias ≠ “Bad”

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1