Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

California governor signs bill on presidential tax returns

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jul 30, 2019.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I am more in agreement with the judge that the CA law possibly runs afoul of the federal law (Ethics in Govt Act) than I am that the law is unconstitutional. Article 2 is straight forward. Its states eligibility for president, it says absolutely nothing about ballot access.

3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    You may be on the up and up but it is a bad look to fight turning them over.

4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Maybe I could be a federal judge!!!!:emoji_grin::emoji_grin::emoji_grin:

5. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    DJT will carry Cali in 2020... the people that make it work are tired of bums shi##ing in the streets....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Why is the man so obsessed with hiding his tax returns?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It has nothing to do with the constitution. The parties don't even have to hold primaries and really didn't put much emphasis on them until the 1970s. The nominee used to be selected via bribes and backroom deals or at the convention. Humphrey won the Democratic nomination in 1968 without ever winning a single primary. "Honest Abe" Lincoln was said to have sold his entire cabinet in order to get the nomination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Smiley thinks he is smart below, but I think you are spot on.
    The swamp is slowly draining from both sides. The liberal hot beds are not happy with how far left the policies have gone.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

10. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I wonder if its like Obama not turning over his birth certificate. Let the wingnuts wring their hands and lament this nonsense and then let him release them before the next election.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not analogous at all. In 2008 the Director of the Hawaii Department of Health certified that Obama was born in Hawaii and Obama did release a "Certificate of Live Birth", a document provided by the state of Hawaii and accepted universally by every government agency as proof of birth, but not by the birthers because it wasn't an actual "birth certificate". It's extremely unlikely that Trump will ever voluntarily release his tax returns considering that he hasn't done so yet despite a pledge from him during the campaign to release the returns following the completion of alleged audits and the fact that he has been using every possible legal device to prevent the release of the tax returns to Congress by the IRS although the agency is obligated to do so by statute.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    If you dont think Obama played a game here, I dont know what to say. I dont think it was ab evil game but he let idiots be idiots for years before his birth certificate was released

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Obama released the Certificate of Live Birth, an official document from the State of Hawaii, during the 2008 campaign. I will concede that he may have waited until 2011 to release a copy of the actual long form birth certificate for political purposes although even that didn't stop Trump from playing the birther narrative until 2016. Maybe I will be surprised but I cannot imagine Trump ever releasing his tax returns or if he surprises me and finally does release his tax returns it will be no earlier than a day or two prior to November 3, 2020, the day of the election.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Because Gavin Newsome makes most of the. Democrat candidates look Conservative. He is a clown.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    The homeless, mentally ill, and addicted have been defecating, urinating, and overdosing in the streets of California for many decades now. It's nothing new. Many of them are Veterans.

You would think that with this super duper world record setting economy that we have, with DJT $hitting gold bricks on every street corner and in every American's bank account, that all the homeless in this country would be employed or at least properly housed and on government assistance living a half way decent and humane life.

It's either that, or we throw em all in labor camp style prisons, or just eliminate them like many of DJT's heroes do and have done. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I wish it were so, and there are many people who feel exactly as you say. Any state that would elect Diane Feinstein, Kamala Harris, and Gavin Newsome in statewide races is a long, long way from electing Trump.

17. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    Not even close..

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A661FAA3-D845-44E6-9C61-1750024907BF.jpeg
    Yep, he’s right on the cusp.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Couldn't even finish the ellipse? I've no idea what is "not even close.."

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    True it's not analogous. Being a natural born citizen is actually a constitutional requirement to be president while showing the nation how much you make isn't. The birth certificate thing was stupid though as is the tax return obsession. He has no obligation to show the returns and didn't prior to the elections. The remedy for withholding information from the public is supposed to be losing votes. He won anyway, so we apparently decide by a majority of electors that we don't need to see the damn returns. The guy has been perpetually investigated since the day he took office and has a ton of enemies who would gladly reveal whatever information they had that would take him down. The media has been digging like crazy because whoever writes that story that takes him out of office is going to win a Pulitzer and have book deals for life. Nobody has found that smoking gun and if you have actually ever seen a corporate tax return it's not in there either. There is a ton of information, but the kind of details that would prove corrupt dealings aren't detailed in there. They aren't going to hand over a document to the government that says they are corrupt. The only reason the politicians keep mentioning it is that there is widespread ignorance in the public who believe in this hail mary attempt to get him out of office and supporting it gives the pols a bump in the polls.

Personally I think the states should have control over ballot access, but doing something like California is doing is a setting a dangerous precedent. You should set some rules that establish access with some minimal level of support to avoid 5,000 random people filling out the paperwork just to say they ran for president, but when you start targeting individual candidates or parties with the requirements then that is interfering in the electoral process. What if Alabama only allows candidates on the ballot who swear an affirmation respecting the sanctity of the life of the unborn? Or maybe some states establish residency requirements or education requirements that tend to favor white candidates? This partisan BS is really getting out of hand. Trump won and he will serve his term unless some miraculous information appears. Now just focus on turning out the vote in 2020 to make sure it is only one term. That's how democracy works.

• Agree Agree x 1