Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

California governor signs bill on presidential tax returns

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jul 30, 2019.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    So does trump just not enter the California primary? I can't see him releasing his tax returns, and it's not like he has any chance at all to win that state regardless of what happens in the primary.

California governor signs bill on presidential tax returns

Most of the major Democratic candidates for president have already publicly disclosed their personal income tax returns as Trump has refused to do so, breaking with decades of tradition by candidates from both parties.

The Trump campaign said the law signed by Newsom is "unconstitutional." But even if the law withstands a likely legal challenge, Trump could avoid the requirement by choosing not to compete in California's March 3rd primary.

The Republican National Committee does not require candidates to appear on primary ballots in all 50 states. With no credible GOP challenger at this point, Trump likely won't need California's delegates to win the Republican nomination. The law does not apply to the general election ballot.

Harmeet K. Dhillon, one of California's two representatives on the Republican National Committee, called the bill an "illegal voter suppression scheme." Removing Trump from the state's primary ballot would likely depress turnout from GOP voters for down-ticket races and ballot measures, she said.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

republicans don't really even have to have a primary there this year.....so good job by the California legislature in doing nothing.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Calling this "doing nothing" is pretty shortsighted. trump will not be the only Republican to run for president in the future. Not to mention the down ballot issue brought up in the article.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

The rnc could just do what the dnc does with their delegates votes.....just throw them out

5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I guess this opens up a chance for Weld, the much better candidate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Other states may try to do this.

Trump will probably fight it all the way to the Supreme Court.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It'll be fun watching Kamala Harris lose in her own state either way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I would love to see Trump throw a rally at the Rose Bowl even though he likely has no chance at winning the state. I bet it would sell out and help move California the right way...

It would be a National success for Trump with other positives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    trump would help move California to the right just like he did in the last midterm election.

(and if you're keeping count, it's 7 - Valadao lost)

Endangered Republicans: California’s last 8 7 in Congress

Not since the 1940s has California had single-digit Republican representation in Congress.

Now there are eight, and that may drop to seven by the time the counting is done.

Republicans held 14 of California’s 53 seats in the House of Representatives before the midterm election. But with the final votes being tallied, Democrats have succeeded in ousting Republicans from every congressional seat in the GOP stronghold Orange County. Now, who from California is left representing the party of Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan on Capitol Hill?

There are eight Republicans remaining among California’s House delegation: Kevin McCarthy, Doug LaMalfa, Tom McClintock, Paul Cook, David Valadao, Devin Nunes, Ken Calvert and Duncan D. Hunter. Valadao is clinging to a hair-thin lead [he lost - Mark it "7" Donnie!].

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    If, God forbid, I were ever a Republican running for President against Trump the first thing I would do is release my tax returns and anything else necessary.
    The debates would be sweet! People could actually see a definitive line between candidates too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    States have a lot of leeway in their elections. This is an area in which the Constitution doesn't come into the equation. If individual parties can force candidates to provide however many signatures before a candidate appears on the ballot, and can also prevent registered members in one party from voting in another party's primary, then this is perfectly legal under the Constitution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Elections must be left to the states.......oh.....wait.....never mind.

13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I would think the SCOTUS would rule it unconstitutional. The Constitution gives the requirements for eligibilty to be President.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, its on the same level of stupid as the birth certificate requirement law to be on the ballot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Are the requirements to become eligible to be POTUS and the requirements to get on a ballot within each state two separate issues?

I am eligible to POTUS I meet all the requirements.
    I am not eligible to be on the ballot in FL because I haven't met the state level requirements.
    Ballot access requirements for presidential candidates in Florida - Ballotpedia

In order to get on the ballot in Florida, a candidate for president of the United States must meet a variety of state-specific filing requirements and deadlines.These regulations, known as ballot access laws, determine whether a candidate or party will appear on an election ballot. These laws are set at the state level. A presidential candidate must prepare to meet ballot access requirements in advance of primaries, caucuses, and the general election.

16. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    The Constitution states minimum standards.

17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Federal Judge Blocks California Law Trying to Force President Trump to Release Tax Returns...

Why do these leftist controlled states keep filing bills they know are unconstitutional when it comes to federal candidates? Because Trump you know...:D

18. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It is not unconstitutional, see post 15.
    The constitution sets who is eligible to be president.
    As written:
    No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

ARTICLE II, SECTION 1, CLAUSE 5

the states set the laws for who gets on the ballot.
    Ballot access laws.

As I stated before, I am eligible to be president. I'm a natural born citizen and I'm over 35. I have lived in the US for more than 14 years.

I'm not eligible to be on any state ballot because I haven't met their requirements.

If states are not allowed to set requirements, than every single person that satisfies Article 2 should be on every ballot.

If you read your own link, the judge filed a temporary injunction because he thinks the law runs afoul of a federal law. Not because he thinks its unconstitutional.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    BS the fed courts have ruled before states can't add mess like that or keep felons off the ballot etc.They can only do stuff like that with state offices.

20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    This has nothing to do with felons.
    What does keeping a felon off the ballot have to do with meeting a requirement to be eligible to be on the ballot you need to provide your tax returns?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make it illegal or unconstitutional.

Please provide a link that has to do with tax returns and ballot access.