Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cal strikes a nerve with Stoops

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I like UK football, BBall, well not so much, Stoops has done a helleva job.

Having said that, last year was a gift for them, I like our chances 2nd game.

But it's ridiculous for Cal to say anything except something positive about ANY other UK sports program. Just bespeaks ego.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    You can’t blame the coach because of bone head players decisions on the field.

Who is a cocky Cat fan? All I said was this could be the best team in my 45 years of living.

I understand it’s easy to just put a W by the Kentucky game, but we have some major talent and our defense is going to be damn good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    If UK would have listened to me they would have parted with Calipari in 2015.

4. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Jeff,
    You have just cause to be excited about the coming season. While I love the Gators, we have two really tough games to open.

Personally I am caught up in the new coach mania and the recent excitement about recruiting.

I'm just glad we have so many home games to start the season. It gives us fans hope for an exciting start.

Back to KY, I really admire what Stoops has done and continues to do. I like the program, the fan base and the stadium.

Ky has proven they belong and can compete in the SEC.

I'm glad UF opens with two meaningful games this year instead of scheduling Canon Fodder.

I wish the cats a great year but not so much game 2!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    UK may be a basketball school but football makes more money.

This is from the 2016-2017 fiscal year, but likely still similar:

“You may think Kentucky is a basketball school, but football remains quite lucrative. Take this excerpt from Penn Live: "Even though the Wildcats dragged six consecutive losing seasons into 2016 with not even a bowl since 2010, their 7-6 year capped by a fleabag-bowl loss to Georgia Tech still generated 30 percent more gross revenue than Kentucky men’s hoops ($28 million) during a 2016-17 SEC championship season ending with a No. 5 national ranking and Elite Eight appearance. Comparative profits: $10.8 million for football; $8.8 million for basketball."

Every SEC football program's gross revenue for last fiscal year

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    True, but Stoops should have taken it to the AD and the AD call out Cal, then Cal publicly apologize to Stoops and the football program. As it is, I'm good with it as there is in-fighting at pUKe.

7. Bradass

Bradass GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Pretty wild to have the two head coaches firing shots at each other publicly like this, very cringey.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Appreciate the post!! We are very excited but we also know a bad break here or there could doom one or both programs this year. It is nice to have a football team that is decent. We shall see how it goes!! Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
  9. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I do see what your saying. Let’s hope this is another mail in the coffin for Calipari. I was one of the first off his bandwagon seven years ago.

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought that was Emery Worldwide Air Freight.

11. dailydoublecat

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Lol oops nail. Whatever we have bought lately have been gag gifts

12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    We're going to kick their you know what in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Cal wasn't incorrect in anything he said but was wrong to include the part where Bama and Georgia are "football schools." Supposedly, the biggest obstacle the football program faces is recruits being told essentially "why do you want to go to UK? Its a basketball school." It definitely is historically but why go and make things worse for your own school's football program?

How about this part though... All of this was call rallying support for a new practice facility and, in response, UK's AD (who does not get along with Cal) was quoted as saying something along the lines of that there will be no new facility and that if Cal is unhappy, coaches change all the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi REM - Wrong forum but while your here - What do you think of the team Golden has put together at UF?

I always like your "expert" opinions. Think UF has the crew to finish in the top 4 of the SEC? It's such a new outfit, I thought I would solicit the opinion of a non Gator.

Most here seem to think we will be pretty good.

15. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Snake oil salesman. It's irritating to hear him talk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. coachsayre2

coachsayre2 Freshman

May 23, 2022
    UK is a blue blood because of basketball. The football team has been doing well and give credit to Stoops for building a solid program but UK will always be a basketball school. Let the football team win 8 championships and then Stoops can have a reason to feel slighted by Calipari. Not a fan of Calipari but give the devil his due. UK doesn’t have a reputation of being a great football team but the basketball team has always been a team that has Final Four potential most years.

17. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

dailydoublecat, good to see you still posting here.

I agree with your sentiments re Stoops. Basketball people, in my experience, including among many Gators, are extremely jealous of the primacy of football. I can remember having serious arguments on the InsideCarolina message board years ago with people who honestly thought Duke-North Carolina basketball was bigger than Florida-Georgia football.

It was an absurd take then, and is absurd now, but they insisted.

I take joy in the very rude awakening the last few years have likely been for them.

As for UK as a basketball school -- just as many of our fans forget how recent the memory for all recruits in any sport, so too with U.K. basketball vs football.

Recency bias is a real thing.

Kentucky, in my memory, has always had great football fans. And they know the importance of football. I suspect Stoops is far more popular for a variety of reasons, not the least being his obvious sweat equity investment.

Calipari doesn't have that, and probably never will. In college sports, that matters bigtime.

I want to beat the everloving hell out of Kentucky this season, but it's likely to be quite a fight -- perhaps moreso than Utah. That's phenomenal credit to how smartly Stoops has built that program.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

I know that this is a basketball board and I know that most of you all know that I root for Kentucky; however, Saturday night I had Florida on the top TV and UK on the big TV, but I watched more Florida than Kentucky. I was 100% Gator when you guys pulled it off. Holy shit what a game. Poor little unranked Florida handed it to top 10 Utah.

Saturday it will be "screw you guys", but you need to know that I love SEC football. The Bigger the Better. I am proud of Florida whupping UTAH.

The only SEC team to lose this week was LSU and it was by a whisker.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks Bert. Have a great season watching football. And if you're anything like me, you can't wait for tip-off.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well, Cal had better beat the Gators or he'll have some 'splainin to do.