Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cade Mays in portal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by justinwitt07, Jan 8, 2020.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Chase Brice from Clemson. I believe he’s a grad transfer target

2. jpullen

jpullen Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure which is more upsetting. That the parent of a recruit lost a finger on a recruiting visit or that the recruit STILL signed with them afterwards. Can't imagine us landing anyone if we started taking body parts from their family.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    *cough* $$$$$$$$$$$$ *cough cough*

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    It really is a brilliant bagman strategy. Right out in the open. Industrial accident befalls family member during OV, son signs w UGA, guaranteed fat settlement for pops. All good and above board. Genius I tell you. Not even Saban is that devious.

6. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Confederate money

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. hobegator

hobegator Junior

May 16, 2017
    Hobe Sound
    Mays has a built in hardship appeal. His father is disabled and needs him closer to home.

The NCAA might see that as a fitting close to the story.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Family suing XUGA makes it uncomfortable to stay there

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    It feels like that to me too but maybe it's just time to sweep out the chaff to make room for the next batch of suckers or recruits.

10. g8rboy

g8rboy VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    That would be a great story. HS teammates, kind of the qbs the other team’s offense fits better.

11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Seems like this is pretty orchestrated and they must feel really good about getting the waiver. Has to be, doesn’t make sense otherwise. Sitting the year before he can leave doesn’t jive. It’s not like y’all are hurting for talent. I did think Mays was really good though

12. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Been the best back in the league for 2 years. Relieved he’s gone

13. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Buck was lobbying something serious for the wake gt yesterday. Kirbys started a freshman qb half of the time he’s been in Athens so it’s not without precedent but.. you’d think Kirby would have to give some assurance to the kid that he be able to air it out some. Only reason a kid gt a qb is to upgrade is draft stock. Hard to do if u don’t throw it. Kirby could sell Jesus to Muslims so it’s in the realm that he could pull whoever he wanted but it’s worth noting Newman May want to be assured he can throw more than jake was allowed too. Who knows

14. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    I’ve heard of paying “an arm and leg”, in this case a little pinky, for certain things, but I didn’t think it applied to 5* recruits.

Any truth they wouldn’t give his pinky back until his son signed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    That is only part of it. In the last 2 years you've lost Fields, Cox, Holloman, Ford, Gibbs, Hunter, Downing, Bishop, recruit Braun, and recruit Evans. These are players recruited by Smart's staff, so not "coach transition losses," and were expected to either play very large roles or at least contribute. You also lost offensive coordinator Jim Chaney to the same position at Tennessee, which is a very curious move given the state of their program when he left to go there.

Losing a few players is normal, every program will have attrition. It is part of college football, especially with the transfer portal. But the numbers fleeing Georgia are not within the normal range at this point.

Bama may be losing more to early entry this year, but that is relatively new for them. Saban has done a great job of keeping kids in school and happy given how many great players they have recruited. I think we will start to see their losses affect them on the field now.

16. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Fair enough. Losing players is bad, but at the same time the degree to which things are happening is a bit overblown.

Lets go through these.

That hurt

Kicked off

Kicked off for punching a girl

Moved closer to home to be near his sick grandfather.

Kicked off and was buried on the depth chart

Buried on the depth chart

We're listing walk-ons in this now?

You can Google his issue on your own.

This happens when a position coach leaves 5 minutes before signing day

We told him he couldn't come.

The same could be said for every 4* or 5* guy that doesn't pan out. We recruit at an elite level every year. Guys are going to get passed on depth charts or other issues will arise. You take the good with the bad when you bring in so many blue chip guys. They want to play and if they can't now they have an avenue to do so elsewhere.

They also bumped his pay from $950k to $1.5m per year.

Is there some statistical point to back this up? Or are we just doing this off feels?

So is the transfer portal.

Saban has processed guys for the entirety of the time he's been at Alabama when it has been beneficial to him. Now the players are just bolting earlier when things don't go their way.

By all accounts this appears to be a very last minute thing and orchestrated by Mays' father and Tom Mars. From the reactions of some of our players it doesn't sound like anyone was given a heads up that this was in the works.

I agree with your point though...I'm sure the timing of this is angling towards using the lawsuit as a basis for the waiver.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    So he caught his own finger in a folding chair standing up and it's somehow uga athletic association, board of regents, chair manufacture and the office furniture company's fault? Unless he's a hand model how will he possibly continue to lose income? I know this is an attempt to get a waiver but come on man

Dude you're a dumbass for cutting your own finger off, I'd be embarrassed and keep quiet about it not bring even more attention to my own stupidity

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    There are certainly reasons every time a player leaves, frequently valid. And there is no bright line number at which attrition goes from normal to abnormal. But at this point, you can look at Georgia's losses and see the losses are substantial and ought to be worrisome for Georgia fans. I don' listen to their talk shows, but form reports on here it is my understanding many of their fans are worried.

Roster management is one of the important aspects of maintaining a quality program. Georgia substantial losses are clearly red flags. Doesn't mean the ship is sinking, but it should be worrisome for Georgia fans and Smart.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hmmm, dawgs didn’t want the 5* rb. If true, which is likely true, kid has another mark against him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Zach Evans got suspended from his high school team twice this season, the second time for the state championship game. By all accounts he's mixed up with a lot of bad people in Texas that he needs to get away from. The story I've heard from our end is that another issue arose between when he signed his LOI and when he was supposed to announce at the UA Game which was the final straw for us. Never did hear what it was.

A great RB though. I hope for his sake that he can turn things around for himself.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1