Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cade Cunningham

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here is the fallacy with him coming to UF if we are to believe his title contention theory. A year from now after Blackshear is gone, most people are assuming Lewis and Nembhard will be gone and anyone else that has a great year if we make the Final 4. If we lose that much talent, it is a large stretch to believe UF will be a title contender the next year without another large influx of talent, more so than just CC. I for one think the title contention is just another thing you hear prospects say like so many others. Thus this would strengthen his likely hood of OSU because of his brother and since he is from Texas. I get that he doesn't need to be close to home (i.e. Montverde) but the path to OSU has been set. He can go to OSU, be the featured player, contend for the Big 12 ttitle, and have much success in the tourney. Either way no matter where he goes he is a 1&D, like you said.

2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The early departures likely would be Lewis and Nembhard. Cunningham would give us a dominating 6’7” point guard to play in the backcourt along with Appleby, Mann, Locke and Glover. That should be the best backcourt in the country. Keyontae moves to small forward where he is a potential All-American. Duruji starts at the 4, and Bassett, Gak, Payne and Jitoboh fight for the starting 5 position and backups at the 4 and 5. This looks like a national title contender without taking into account anyone else we sign.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    No source, writing is all over the wall on this recruitment. Don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good answers for sure, I'm not so sure the three players in Cunningham, Duruji and a 4 headed center (you pick) are as good as AN, KB and Lewis in roles we need for this team. I do agree the 5 possible starters from your list are very talented and may go far but let's see if and how they come together first.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Cunningham is better than Nembhard right now. He would have been a lottery pick if he was in the draft this year. We also should be better at the 2-guard spot. Keyontae, as a junior could be as good at the 3 as Lewis as a freshman. We likely would have drop offs at the starting 4 and 5 spots, but we should have more depth at those positions.

6. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    More opinions than facts, Jack!

7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    This a thread and a message board that is all about opinions. However, Cunningham being a lottery pick is a safe opinion. As for whether Cunningham is better than Nembhard right now, that is my opinion, but it is based on watching Cunningham play several games this year. The kid is a monster. He’s around 6’7”, which is huge for a point guard. He overwhelms other guards. He scores from the perimeter and at the rim and is a great ballhandler and passer. Cole Anthony was the #2 rated player in the high school class of 2019 and deservedly so. He is great and could be a lottery pick after one year. Cunningham dominated him in the Montverde/Oak Hill game in Tampa. I have been pitching Cunningham as the best player in high school since that game. The recruiting gurus seem to finally be agreeing with me. As for Nembhard, he was a legitimate 5 star player in high school and is a potential All-SEC player. However, he is not as talented as Cunningham.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I agree with you that message boards are full of opinions, which is a great thing. It gets folks debating and discussing, which is also a great thing.
    However, you shouldn't be making statements like the quote above, because the fact is is that you do not know who is better. No one knows for sure. That's also a fact.

Probably would be better if you add caveats such as "in my opinion..." or "I think..." instead of trying to pass off your opinion as a stone-cold fact.

But I do agree with your opinion that Cade is very, very good. He may be athletically better than Nembhard, but Nembhard has a full-season's experience playing in the SEC and also in CMW's system.

Does athleticism trump experience?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very good point, while I agree with Jack that CC as a junior at Montverde was better than AN as a junior or senior at Montverde. But it is "in my opinion" that AN as a sophomore at Florida with a year's experience in the SEC will be more useful to this team than CC would be as a true freshman if he were to come to Florida. Personally I don't think CC is coming to Florida anyway so none of this really matters. I'm out of this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    That is some good talent. I do think Lewis is gone if he performs as advertised. NH 80% to leave. Whats the staring backcourt on this team. Is Cunningham the PG over Appleby & Glover. Locke at the 2. Johnson at the 3. Does Mann come off the bench?

11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Okay. I should have said that it was my opinion. But isn’t that a bit redundant? If you say that one thing is better than another, it’s got to be an opinion. IMO, LeBron also is better than Nembhard, and he’s taller too,

12. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Ahhh, the "X better than Y because I saw him live that one time" argument.

If you're asking if I'd rather have Nembhard or Cunningham running the PG position this season, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Cunningham may have a higher ceiling but I'm taking AN based on what our team needs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, I will roll out my usual take: Mike will probably sign him just so that Kentucky doesn't get him.

If he contributes well then great! I don't think Mike will sign him and then recruit over him. Well, unless we go 40-0 this next season and then all bets are off.

Karma is SUCH a bitch!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not sure what team needs you think that Nembhard would bring to the table that Cunningham would not also bring to the table, but I’m fine with that being your preference. I think that Cunningham could be a dominating force as a freshman, but who knows. As to me basing my evaluation on watching Cunningham play against one of the best teams and best players in the country, I stand behind that as the best way of determining how good a player is if you can’t watch him play multiple times. In fact, I also watched Montverde play several games on television, and that only confirmed my opinion of the kid.

In that game in Tampa, Cunningham went for 26 points, 9 assists and 7 rebounds in leading his team to a 25 point win over one of the best teams in the country; plus he outplayed the highest ranked senior guard by a wide margin. FYI, Cunningham also led the U.S. Under 19 Team to the FIBA Under-19 World Team title with 21 points, 7 assists and 7 rebounds in the title game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

I'm not sure what was even the point of bringing up that he's better than Nembhard. Cunningham is never coming to Florida. 0.0000% chance. He's a great player, he's just not coming here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Look around at some mock drafts for 2021....Cunningham is listed as going either #1 or #2 in most places I'm seeing. AN is not even listed as being drafted

kids what 16/17 years old right now and already looks to have the physique of a 22 year old.

There's plenty of 5 stars and then there are the can't miss sure fire NBA all-star guys.

Cunningham is in THAT category.

But whatever happens, it's nice to be in his top 5

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I doubt that Cunningham signs with the Gators, but I will not be surprised if he doesn’t choose Oklahoma State.

18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For the record I appreciate your opinions on high school players in all capacities. Please carry on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Hopefully Leesville will play at one of the Cary schools this year. I'll go decked out in Gator gear!

20. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Nembhard's passing and decision-making abilities late in the season were about as good as we've ever seen from a PG at Florida as a freshman. We don't need a ball-dominant PG, we need a PG who makes the correct reads and makes his teammates better. The last thing I want is a PG looking to average 20ppg. If I'm an NBA scout, of course I'd take Cunningham first. He's clearly going to have a long NBA career. But with this team I'm taking AN.

• Agree Agree x 2