Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

C Rob Not to Michigan

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 15, 2021.

1. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, I believe he excelled. He wasn't an all american, but I thought he played well here. And with the advanced QB play and RPO action, most LBs struggle in pass coverage. Who was our last LB who was strong in pass coverage?

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    To answer the question in all honesty, he plays Buck/OLB but Moon is actually really good in pass coverage

3. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I recall Reese and Joseph being MIKE and SAM, respectively. Then Polite being Buck.

So I thought the poster I responded to was referring to ILB, I could be wrong. In regards to Moon, even though he's an OLB, he's ok in coverage, but since he's just an OLB, he's never really chasing TEs/RBs on drags across the field. I don't recall him running up the seam defending go routes. I mostly recall him defending flats.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    ive seen him down the field a lot last year and dropping into coverage. Kinda caught me off guard tbh lol. Hopper have the athleticism ti be good in coverage, remains to be seen if he can do it. Think Diabate got a bit better this past season in coverage but he’s still green

5. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm very high on Hopper, mostly hope obviously since they didn't play him much. But I thought he showed some nice LB instincts in the Vandy game.

Won't lie, but I'm worried about Diabate. I'm not going to forever condemn any players based upon what I saw last year (well, maybe Quincy). He's still green and new to the position, but he doesn't take on and shed blockers too well. Open field tackling is suspect (again, this was universal for almost the whole defense last year).

6. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I will say to your point, when you mentioned Moon being good in coverage, I can't really think of any moment in his whole career where he was just getting worked (ala Vosean vs UGA before halftime). I'll definitely keep an eye on him to give him his props next year.

7. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Not really doubting this, especially the hit @ LSU. But, more to my point was~that like 2016. Who has played LB under CRob that made us all warm and fuzzy? Ventrell played well. Who else in his tenure? Why is this a thing?

• Like Like x 1
  8. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Played well and excelled are two different things

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Davis?

10. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    N/A

11. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Are we giving c rob credit for the outside backers ? I thought they were under grantham and that c rob covered the inside and possibly star. Am I wrong

12. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I can understand that. So in the last 20 years, wouldn't you say we've only had about 4 ILBs who have excelled? Spikes, Siler, Crowder, and Jarrad Davis. If that is the standard for excelling, I definitely agree with you.

13. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Jordan Reed excelled at UF (in a Muschamp offense at that), but he certainly was not Pitts or Hernandez.

14. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Jarrad was definitely better than Vosean in coverage, but I dont recall him being strong in coverage. It's just too hard nowadays (and even back in 2016) to cover these backs and TEs.

I'm a huge Spikes fan (as most Gator fans are), but I can't help but think how bad he would get worked against the modern day college passing offenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Really just 3 who have played either solid or pretty good: Reese, Vosean, and Ventrell.

I think part of that is the love affair with Burney. He's been playing for 3 years now, and I really can't think of any big plays he's made. It also seemed like his best year was his freshman year.

So we have 2 ILB spots, Reese manned MIKE the first 2 year, then Ventrell this year. The SAM, Vosean for 1 year, then Burney, Diabate and others.

I think if we can finally find a playmaker for that SAM, we could be alright. Obviously we'll need the dline to play much better. I'm still holding out hope that Diwun could be that guy, even though I have no idea which position they'll put him at (IF he makes it in).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Jarred Davis was a baller. I’d give anything to have a kid that moved that well at linebacker. Yea spikes would’ve been abused at times in today’s offenses but he understood the position and how to play it. I can’t stress enough that linebackers are a different breed. It’s been a minute since I feel like we’ve had one. Davis was the last one that came to mind. Vosean played linebacker but I never felt like he was a linebacker

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    felt like he was a tweener between a strong safety (his size) and an olb so olb is where he ended up at. Thought he should have stayed one more season tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s how bad our linebacker play has been. I’ve been longing for dudes that were “pretty” good

19. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Now that I think about it, Jelani Jenkins probably was our strongest cover ILB over the last 20 years. Thoughts?

PS: Sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wasn’t Jelani a DB?