Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Building in Surfside

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by justinwitt07, Jun 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm with you. When I was in my 20s, I always wanted to live inside the Atlanta perimeter. Thought it would be cool and all. As I've gotten older (much older), I want my space.

This morning, my wife and I decided to drive into Atlanta to go see the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, just to do something different. The gardens were nice and we had a great start to our day, but then it went South. I decided to try to find a really local spot to eat lunch since my wife is relatively new to the area. Something casual that we don't have in the suburbs. It's the weekend and past the lunch hour ... how difficult can it be?!?! Apparently harder than I expected.

Tried to go to Mary Mac's, but there were probably 40+ people waiting outside ... so we drove right by. No time in my old age for lines! The next attempt was the Steam House Lounge in Midtown but there was no place to park and nobody attending the valet. I started to get very frustrated (old age again) and decided we were going to the Vortex in Midtown. I pulled onto West Peachtree Street and before I knew it, some douchebag in black Nissan Altima flies up on my butt, whips around us, cuts us off, and then immediately slams on his brakes trying to get me to hit him (there wasn't another car in sight).

By now I was pissed and just wanted to get the f&$k out of Midtown. Drove into Buckhead and my wife says "let's go to South City Kitchen" ... I reluctantly agree as in my old age I hate crowds ... like Buckhead! I reluctantly agree and work through a maze of traffic and u-turns to pull into a parking deck. We walk in to find there's a 90+ minute wait! WTF?!?! So we leave ... after paying $6 for being there probably 10 minutes and head back to the burbs (by this point, I'm starving and totally aggravated) and end up at a local Mexican favorite for a pleasant lunch and a margarita (Texas style).

I swear to God that I will be perfectly happy if I never have to go inside the perimeter again!!!!.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I live in the "burbs" and works like a champ for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sounds believable. Crooked developers/politicians strike again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Shocking isn't it. Especially in Miami. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Next time you venture in and if it’s not out of the way for you, try Kimball House near Decatur. Really good people running it, awesome vibes and not TOO much of a popular spot that you get into 90 minute waits (their good about picking up the phone when you ring and accommodating).

Live in LA but was Atlanta based for a year right up until the pandemic. Kimball House is the best of the best

6. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    I try not to go south of Duluth because Atlanta is a shithole, third world country.

7. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Developers of doomed Fla. tower were once accused of paying off officials: report
    The developers of the Miami condo tower that collapsed were once accused of paying off local officials to get permits for the site — which needed $15 million in repairs just to bring it to code, a new report says.
    Surfside’s developers had contributed to the campaigns of at least two town-council members, then demanded that the donations be returned when the allegations surfaced, according to the outlet.
    The developers behind the project had included Nathan Reiber, a Polish-born Canadian who was also once charged with tax evasion and cited for legal misconduct in Canada, the report said.

Reiber, who died in 2014, had been charged with tax evasion by Canadian authorities in the 1970s when he and his partners were accused of skimming cash from apartment buildings they owned.

Developers of Fla. tower were accused of paying off officials

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Buckhead residents have raised over $600k to commence the process of seceding from the city of Atlanta. Crime and lack of city services.

The restaurants all over this country have a shortage of employees. You can go in one, there are some tables open, but the service is slow. Shortage of cooks, servers, etc. Federal $ being sent to them still.

And it is not just the restaurants. Includes construction and logistics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yep, but I believe Buckhead accounts for about 40% of Atlanta's entire tax base, so you can bet that probably never happens. North Fulton County has seen the recent creations of Milton, Sandy Springs and Johns Creek as cities, which has reduced Fulton County's tax base. North Fulton County also wants to break from Fulton County to create Milton County for the same reason but that's not likely to happen.

But Buckhead really needs to be a separate city. The city of Atlanta, with crime spiking and the reduced number of police officers, appears to have pulled it's police resources closer in town where they feel it's needed, but crime has gone WAY up in Buckhead because of it.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We’re dancing around the real problem to keep this out of TH

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So lesson here would be to just wait and eat at your first place

12. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Getting back to the topic, it has been almost 4 1/2 days since the collapse. What are the chances now of finding one person alive underneath the tons of debris?

13. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    This is such an awful thing to think about but I'll make an attempt. I haven no information on the survivors as to how they escaped almost certain death. I find it hard to believe that they could have fallen from any great height in this scenario and survived.

Most would have plunged down a good distance and then collided with something very solid and would almost immediately be crushed from what is still coming from above them. If by some miracle a person was not bleeding after falling 20 ft or more into a pile of rubble with more rubble falling on top of them, they would start to die of dehydration by about 4th or 5th day.

To your question, the odds against survival would have to be in the order of millions or billions to one for most in the building. Only exception would be if there was a pocket near ground level that didn't collapse as the upper floors came crashing down. But even then it is unlikely that anyone located there could be rescued on time with so much debris on top that has to be moved slowly and carefully for the everyone's safety, the rescuers as well as survivors (if any).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm shocked I tell you, simply shocked. A RE developer pay off official for their own gain? No way. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So me and my wife were discussing this last night. Since the condos are probably almost completely owned by individuals as personal real estate - who is responsible if litigation is brought? Im sure there is a management company and that would be my guess as they control the common areas of the grounds. But what if its proven one of the units personally owned was the culprit of the collapse. Horrible situation that Im sure will drag on for years in court, and forever in the personal grief of those who lost loved ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    There is no bedrock in Florida. What rock there is is Limestone, and it is all full of cavities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I have a somewhat insensitive question for anyone who knows condo law.

As I have always understood it, if you own a condo unit, you basically own the space within your unit and that's it. You don't have any ownership in the actual structure. Is that true or do I misunderstand that?

If so, what happens in a case like this? I assume whoever owns the actual building has insurance on the building structure itself. They are taken care of in the case something happens to the building. But my understanding that insurance for the individual condo unit owners is more like renters insurance and only covers your furniture and belongings.

So let's assume that the remaining structure of this condo is condemned and torn down, then the likely hundreds of lawsuits keep the building structure owners tied up for years in court, all the insurance money is used to pay legal fees or more likely they take the insurance money and disappear or go bankrupt and the building is never rebuilt. In that event, are the surviving condo unit owners who either weren't home or lived in part of the building that's still standing, just screwed out of the money they paid for their condos?

I know it's a kind of insensitive question right now but I'm just wondering how that works. Not just for this building but if they start inspecting other beach condos in Miami and up and down the coast and they find structural issues that force other buildings to be condemned and the building owners decide not to rebuild, what happens?

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I am one who thinks this will end up being on the HOA--, not the developers. And then who controls the HOA- the condo owners and the board they voted for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Good questions. Along the ‘insensitive’ line, can you imagine the impact on property values for thousands of other condo owners either in the surviving building or neighboring buildings of the same vintage? What a freaking disaster

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

No idea with condos - but in housing developments the HOA is essentially the developer until it’s a certain % built out - like around 90% owned by residents - at which point the residents become the HOA, complete with legal responsibilities for stuff like, somebody wanders into the pool and drowns, etc.

So the HOA for this old condo complex would have to be the “homeowners” - and what entity would actually “own the buildings”? I mean, who buys a decades-old condo building full of residents? What would be in it for them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.