Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Buddy Teevens injured when hit by a car while cycling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Mar 22, 2023.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Hopeing for the best.

In 2002 there were a lot of players who wanted Teevens made head coach, he went to Stanford.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He was on my short list as well

4. RayGator

RayGator Administrator Emeritus Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Sorry about this incident to Coach Buddy Teevens. I hadn’t thought about Coach Teevens many times the last several years. When he was with the Gators during Spurrier’s final years, we got to meet up and got back and forth for a while, then slowly we didn’t, time goes on. The Polk County Gator Club use to have a “get together” about a week or so after Signing Day. We would have a couple of assistant coaches come to Lakeland and go over the info of our new Signees. Well, while Buddy Teevens was at UF, he always came to Lakeland every year with another Assistant Coach and gave good info on our “new Gators”. Of course as time went by with the internet as it now is, we all know so much about the “new Gators”, we don’t have those post Signing Day reviews anymore. Then Spurrier left UF after 2001, and slowly Coach Teevens and I got out of touch. I suggested to the AD at UF at the time, that Buddy Teevens would be a great HC for the Gators. Of course I had no influence in the selection of a new Gator HC and time goes on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sad to hear this. One of the professors in my department at UF was killed riding his bicycle home to Micanopy. The streets can be dangerous. Prayers for a swift and full recovery for coach Teevens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. RayGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    My goodness, just regardless of one’s age, riding a bicycle on a busy road can always be a little unsafe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    My daughter begs me to stick to the bike path.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    Still no update of Coach Teeven's condition. A former Gator player, Sam (now called Sammy) McCorkle has been named Dartmouth's interim head coach in Coach Teeven's absence. Remember him as a pretty good ST player in the early/mid 90s.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. RayGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Well, her Dad is very important to her and she doesn’t want anything bad to happen to him. It’s all about her love for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I bike. I avoid roads cars use. I try to always stay on sidewalks and if none, I seek rarely used streets. I am very very careful if I cross a well traveled road, I'm very slow to commit to cross.

A friend of mine was hit by a truck last year going about 50mph. He broke legs, pelvis, etc. Was air vacced to Orlando Hospital. Incredibly he never lost consciousness. After multiple surgeries, metal implants, rehab, here we are 11 months later, and you cannot tell when he walks in a room. Rarely has pain. Getting married in a couple of months.

Yesterday, I watched a guy on a bike weave thru traffic in the middle of the road on a 3 lane one way road. He crossed a red light and continued ahead till I passed him, noting that he would likely be passing away in the coming months.

Lastly, last year I almost hit a guy in my car, he was on a bike and went thru a red light. I hit the horn, he shot me a bird. Nice!

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Bikers quite frequently don’t seem to understand the rules of the road apply to them, can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen bikes (and golf carts) dangerously blow through stop signs at intersections, even when there are cars around.

One of the scariest traffic/bike incidents I had was on UF’s campus. Some Pizza delivery guy came flying down the hill from Reitz Union down to the dorms west of North-South Drive. He was technically on the sidewalk and going through the crosswalk, so in that case he actually had the right of way. Here’s the problem: he must have been screaming down the hill at 30mph, like a bat out of hell. Even with me following the speed limit in my car (20mph) it was a near miss as we both slammed our brakes, he barely kept control of his bike stopping in the middle of the crosswalk. He of course gives the stare-down as if it was 100% my fault. Sometimes common sense should be in order.

Sounds like in this case the bicyclist crossed in front of a car doing 50mph and there was no crosswalk at all. He’s lucky to be alive. Maybe there is a visibility issue causing incidents in this area? But if there is no crossing, bottom line is the person going across illegally takes on all the risk. The driver was uninsured, which is a separate can of worms for her.