Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(Brockway) UF’s Egbunu may need second knee procedure But,

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Feb 11, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF’s Egbunu may need second knee procedure But, the Florida basketball program is still holding out hope the senior center could return this season.
    Kevin Brockway Gvl Sun

There was hope that the 6-foot-11, 265-pound Egbunu would be back on the court by now, helping shore up UF’s deficiencies in rebounding, post defense and inside scoring. Due to recent setbacks during the rehabilitation process, however, Egbunu has yet to be cleared for contact practices, let alone games. Egbunu did not travel to UF’s game at South Carolina because of concerns over knee swelling while flying and hasn’t worked out before a game since Jan. 27 against Baylor.

Florida men’s basketball trainer Dave Werner still holds out hope that Egbunu could still return before the end of the season, but admits he could need a second procedure on the surgically repaired knee either before or at the end of the season.

“We started throwing him into non-contact practices in January hoping to do that for two weeks, and then go into contact practices to where he could play the first week in February,” Werner said. “But we were never able to get to the contact part of it because the more we did non-contact stuff, his knees would swell. And with the swelling, people start getting some pain, so we weren’t able to progress him to that next step.”

read the full story at: http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180211/ufs-egbunu-may-need-second-knee-procedure

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Good luck to John but I won't hold my breath waiting for his return.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    His only option to play this season is to take a pain shot and take care of the procedure after the season. That decision would have to be a two way street between John Egbunu and Mike White. I don't think that street exists based on Mike White having said recently that he isn't putting John Egbunu out there until he is fully recovered.

Good luck Big John.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ncgator91

ncgator91 Junior

Dec 16, 2017
    It'll be a miracle if any of the 3 bigs currently out make a return.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    At this point in the season - my concern is only for John's well being. Period.

I realize that is what Coach White and John's doctor's priorities are as well.....just wanted to post my feelings on the matter.

Get well Eggs!!!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I think we all saw this coming weeks ago. We gotta hope Gak and Bassett can put in more performances like yesterday's. And, of course, good luck to Egbunu. Tough break for a kid who was starting to play his best basketball before the injury.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Paging Willis Reed, paging Willis Reed. Needed in Gainesville, STAT!

8. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Any chance Egbunu plays for the Gators next year? Think he would get a hardship waiver if he wanted it.

Either way, he probably should have the procedure done now if he needs it. Feel bad for John and hope in the end, if he plays for Florida or not that he makes a full recovery.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If anyone is eligible for a medical hardship and a 6th year it is him.

I think the only thing that would not make it happen is if he decided to finish rehabbing in a pro environment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    John isn't getting paid big bucks to do that.

If there is any chance that playing will screw him up then he should not play no matter how much it would help the team this year. I love the Gators and want to see them win, but not at that price.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Such a shame. Feel bad for the big guy. The play he originally injured it on seemed like he tweaked it at most, was very surprised to find out it was as serious as it was. Now here we are 12 months later and he's still battling. Shows you how delicate this game is, and any sport for that matter. At least he's getting the best treatment available, wish him nothing but the best in his pro career. Agree that is what he needs to focus on now.

Man oh man he would have been a beast for us this year. What coulda/shoulda/woulda been

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And what is up with Chase Johnson? Not criticizing the medical staff but this has to be the longest concussion in sports history

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s a real head scratcher.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. BTEGator

BTEGator GC Hall of Fame

May 24, 2007
    My guess is he's taking a redshirt. I think at this point, it's probably best for him and the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    He has a problem with scratching is head?

Man. we DO have a lame medical staff. These have been around for a LONG time...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    We're at mid-February, with only a handful of regular-season games left. Even if any of the guys could suddenly play they likely would be ineffective. Conditioning, timing, meshing with the lineups, all that stuff would be way behind.

Play on, Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Wish the news was better for John, but all the best to him in life after UF.

Also, kudos for Brockway for finally getting after answers to questions that have been lingering in the Gator fan base too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Those rotating bone locations: Neck, Bracteating Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist, Hip, Knee, and Ankle, primarily, but also both fingers and toes, are the most difficult things to return to full strength following any injury as a person with totally destroyed ankles can tell you.

I still recommend the Horse Stance for 10 minutes a day for Egbunu and anyone else who has knee issues, it certainly does wonders for Martial Artists and me when I began doing it daily. Incredibly strengthens the knees, tendons and ligaments throughout the leg.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    If he does need another surgery how does the athletic department handle pre- existing conditions if he graduates or leaves school? I would hope he gets more than a pat on the back and well wishes.

20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Didn't know that. I do it twice a week when we're doing weapons (boken) work. It's certainly strenuous.