Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brock Vandergriff commits to UGA

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by StrangeGator, Jan 1, 2020.

1. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Playing time on a top program I suppose. Selling the sizzle?

Not this staff but Stafford was a #1 pick in ‘09 and Aaron Murray left in ‘13 with sec records. Fairly recent. Fromm of late.

2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    That's not what I'm saying. They could go anywhere else. Why GA? I only mentioned CDM'S reputation as a QB guru, but in no way I suggested that UF is producing NFL QBs.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Enjoy yourself Carson Beck, enjoy yourself.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I think we gotta remember that Fromm, Fields, and BVG are from the state of Georgia and while they were growing up, Richt had UGA right (got to see Richt coach up Stafford and then Murray) and GT was running the triple option so being drawn to UGA was easy. Add to the fact that Smart is an ace recruiter, them going to UGA makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    except for the one trivial fact that BVG openly acknowledges that the O at UGA does not fit him while that at UF under Mullen and OU with Riley is a better fit. I am wondering if we stopped recruiting him after getting Carlos Del Rio. I wish Mullen was more of grinder in recruiting and pursued BVG after he decommitted from OU.

6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think those are actually cheat sheets with cayman bank act numbers on them to keep straight who still owes them money...but we can go with play card. :)

7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Being an in state kid combined with kirbys recruiting chops makes this almost a forgone concluding I would think

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    BVG from his own mouth was going to be UGA bound no matter what UF did after he decommited from OU. I posted this when he decommited:

2021 QB Brock Vandagriff Decommits from OU; Could Florida Pursue?

Florida was always going to be behind UGA in his recruitment.

Vandagriff plays at Prince Avenue Chrisitan and hails from Bogart, Ga. He lives just minutes away from Sanford Stadium. And the proximity to Georgia played a big role in him picking the Bulldogs.

“My Dad and I we talked and stuff,” Vandagriff said. “We are kind of sacrificing the best fit for me just for some other things that are priorities now.”

Why the addition of 5-star QB Brock Vandagriff could be a great sign for in-state recruiting

9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Like Louisiana and Tennessee, Georgia is a state that only really has 1 real P5 school. Georgia Tech is really an Atlanta school that mostly draws student from out of state. Once you get outside of metro Atlanta, UGA rules the state and almost every kid grows up a UGA fan.

CDM, like Spurrier, has a reputation of being a great college QB coach, but neither is really known for developed great NFL QBs. CDM pretty much has Dak Prescott (MSU) and Alex Smith (Utah).

• Like Like x 1
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    For what appears to be some game day weakness, Kirby is lights out on the recruiting trail. Who watched Ron Zook and believed he would make anyone better? He could sell. Kirby seems similar but with better on field results.

Makes sense to me why kids go there.

UF has to start winning in Jax. Do that, and maybe the tide turns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    Thanks for this clarification. Interesting quotes I should say.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And there isn’t really a wrong side of a fire hydrant.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Staying very close to home appears to be the primary factor.

14. sqgator

sqgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    should see him on transfer portal soon?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Top flight QB already on campus isn’t going to concede a QB competition to a guy that is still a year away from being on the team.

16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Jacob Eason says hi...

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    I never said he was going to win the job. Someone is going to lose it. In our case between Mathis, Beck and Vandagriff two people are going to lose the job. I'm just saying I would assume that all three believe they are going to ultimately win the competition when it rolls around. I would also assume that Beck and Mathis (assuming he is medically cleared by August) would not be conceding the 2020 job to Jamie Newman.

Players that get to the point where all of them have made it have done so by assuming they are the best player in the room. That isn't going to change just because 1 guy happens to have more stars next to his ranking.

And let's not forget that Jacob Eason beat out Fromm initially for the job. Eason just had the personal misfortune of getting hurt and having the team catch fire while he was recovering. No way you could upset the apple cart at that point.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Kirby will make the wrong choice and stick with it

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Agree with the above regarding UGA QBs. I’m sure Brock Berlin did not think he would lose the QB battle to Rex Grossman back in the day. At the same time, look at all the QBs transferring now for better opportunities to play and start. There had always been some of this in college football, going back to Troy Aikman transferring from Oklahoma to UCLA, or a Russell Wilson transferring from NC State to Wisconsin, or even a Joe Flacco from Penn State to Delaware. Now it is common place with last 3 Oklahoma QBs being transfers, Ohio State QB a transfer, LSU QB a transfer, ... Gators have had many QBs transfer over the years. 4 Gator QBs that transferred actually played and started at least one game in the NFL last year, which is an amazing stat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Newton, Driskel, Brissett, and, who else?