Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brock Vandergriff commits to UGA

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by StrangeGator, Jan 1, 2020.

1. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Taught him everything he knows. Lol.

Fun fact...he is a huge Ohio state fan. His first head coach gig was in Florida at a newly built school and he got to pick the school colors and uniforms and mirrored Ohio state. And Fields transfers to Ohio state? Hmmm. Coincidence? Probably. I couldn’t convince him to push fields to Florida.

2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Nice pick up for UGA. Not exactly a shock is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    It doesn't matter. We'll still kick their arse as the coaches are clueless. Especially the head sharter. :D The sad thing is these HS kids are incapable of learning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I mean it was more of a shocker he commited to OU in the first place rather than UGA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    2021 signing day is a long way away.

9. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    And that’s a solid mixture of dual threat and pro style QBs in Athens. Has Kirby decided what kind of offense he wants and ready for half his QB room to transfer once he decides?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Both at the same time. No RB, lineup QB side by side and randomly snap to their one and see what happens. Revolutionary really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Who decides what the * ratings are? Is it strictly determined by the numbers? Not trying to minimize him, but he doesn’t look like a 5* player to me playing against a bunch of 4/5* guys. He’s slight and not very big. I believe Tater Tot was ridiculously rated a 5*.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Kirby’s got his warts for sure, but at the very least at least our players always wear the right play card wrist bands during the game. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah...they for sure know that that fake punt on their play card right after rolling in the run-threat QB that never played on punt teams before. Brilliant! [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. avgator2000

avgator2000 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    Beck will not be liking this at all. The loser of that QB battle for the 2021 year is going to hit the portal. To top it off Georgia does not have the depth at QB to actually redshirt Beck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    As far as you know.

16. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Spend an afternoon looking up the profiles of the people doing the ratings. I haven't come across one who doesn't have a profile on LinkedIn (Facebook for business) that lists professional accomplishments and degrees. Most of them have a strong background in journalism and many of them were beat writers for a college sports team.

After hours of research I have never come across resume that has talent/player manager, coach, player personnel, former player, etc. If you want someone to contrast their resume, look up Mike Murphy who worked for the NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins, et al. The guy has over 20+ years of experience as a talent scout for college and professional and "retired" as a sports agent for his own company. Obviously, he's not the only one.

Professional scouts subdivide regions and territories, are transparent about their responsibilities and readily publish their roles within an organizational hierarchy. Even their business cards sometimes print out how many players they're responsible for keeping scouting profiles updated for (i.e. 400, 500, 1,000, etc). It's not unusual to have a background in sports medicine and some coaching.

Now, look at the Director of Football Recruiting for the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, website: Steve Wiltfong. He started as a staff writer for the South Bend Tribune (Notre Dame). Then became an affiliate writer for ESPN. Then he became an employee of said website, eventually ending at his aforementioned post. He's even said before that he just "reports" what he hears.

All these guys' biographies read like his. No experience playing, coaching, managing or scouting actual people as a career. They're just hacks who develop relationships with sports clubs. They're not experts. They do not get paid on their expertise. Ever. At all. And, to answer your question, they're the ones who "rate". They do it to make money. To generate subscribers. They do not get paid to evaluate players, but to keep people buying memberships to read their articles.

17. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Like I said....Kirby's got his warts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Why do the top QBs go to UGA? Who is their QB coach? Does he have a reputation like CDM? Does UGA have a reputation in producing great NFL QBs? I remember Fran Tarkenton, but I don't think most of these kids know him. I don't understand why they all want to go there. I mean everybody knows CDM is a QB whisperer. WITH is the matter with these guys? I am not talking about this guy in particular. I am talking about the top QBs in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    We do some really stupid shit in Jax from time to time.
    (I'm talking about the fans).

20. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    and UF does? lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1