Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brittney Griner Pleads Guilty to Russian Drug Charges

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 7, 2022.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Brittney Griner Pleads Guilty to Russian Drug Charges: 'I Did Not Want to Break the Law'

It appears from reading several articles about this, that she will be used in a prisoner swap for Russia to get back Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer nicknamed the "Merchant of Death" who is currently serving a 25-year U.S. prison sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to people who said they planned to kill Americans.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Merchant of Death who conspires to murder Americans
    Smuggler of less than a gram of cannabis oil into Russia

Seems about equal

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope she is getting reliable counsel. I hate everything about her being detained

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know, but you can see it coming a mile away. Putin got his "high profile" asset to trade when they arrested Griner.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is all about politics and how it makes Putin look to his people...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    A couple things. She traveled to RUSSIA and she had to have known she was carrying cannabis oil. So she broke their laws and should do the time.

Bigger picture is why would ANYONE go to Russia or some other authoritarian country where their policies don't align with yours. Americans going anywhere in this world could be a target.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. Potzer01

Potzer01 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    Welp she went for a payday. Estimated at 1.5 mill a season to play for a russian oligarch vs her 250k$ annual wnba salary.

Ya know its strange, I was offered 250k a year to go work in Shenzhen... I contemplated it for approximately 1 day, before deciding I would end up in a Chinese detention camp if I did that... Seemed like an easy decision to me, however I'm of the opinion that the US is a country I want to live in despite the idiocy we see daily.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    To be a United States citizen and live in the United States is a blessing. Some people find this out the hard way. To be honest I haven't followed this story much and could have cared less but since it's in the news time to take a look.

Brittney Griner may not have intended to take cannabis oil on her trip I would say it's unlikely Brittney has never transported cannabis oil on any of her trips both abroad and nationally. If that were the case she wouldn't have had it on her.

For the Russian courts to claim her intent was distribute cannabis oil is just as far fetched as I believe it most likely for personal use and possibly sharing it among her mates.

None the less Brittney got caught with the cannabis oil. To initially claim she didn't have it to start with rings hallow in my mind. Why would the Russians pick on Brittney in the first place? Was she singled out as a scapegoat among many of the other travelers?

Why was Brittney in Russia to start with?
    I woke up to the phone ringing just after 5 a.m. in Portland. My colleague was calling from the East Coast. “Lindz, it’s BG. She’s been taken into custody at the airport. She has her phone and can text.” Brittney Griner, who had spent several WNBA offseasons starring for UMMC Ekaterinburg, an elite Russian basketball club team, had been traveling back to Ekaterinburg from the U.S., connecting in Moscow when she was detained. She was now in the custody of Russian officials at the airport and, for the next several hours, I tracked her location on my phone and continued texting her, trying to stay with her as long as I could.

So we find out she has been playing with an elite Russian Basketball team in the off season not that I have any issue with that. Make the money where you can. But knowing this bit of information tells me Brittney was well aware of the laws and what could possibly happen if she were to get caught.

The other aspect here is she got caught on her return trip no doubt going through customs in Moscow. This raises other questions that need some resolution. Did Brittney take the cannibus oil with her or did she obtain the cannibus oil while in Ekaterinburg? If no where did she get it from? Given US foreign policy concerning Russia why go in the first place? Given US foreign policy what would Russia hope to gain from detaining Brittney?

Too many questions and not enough answers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It was stupid to carry cannabis oil or any substance into Russia where it's illegal. But I have no right to call anyone stupid since I don't even know what cannabis oil is. (Cannabis is marijuana, right? I didn't know you could oil yourself up with it. For kinky sex?)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Very interesting. Seems clear that she got the CBD oil in Russia.

This screams set up.

The only question remaining, is whether BG was/is a willing accomplice.

Heres how it likely went: Putin agent offers her big $$$ to take hit w CBD oil--which is categorically benign to US public--Russia permits her access to tv to generate public sentiment and public pressure on Biden to cough up the MOD for BG....

Smells to hell.

I was sympathetic to BG b4, but now feel like we're being played, and that she's in on the big joke.

Plea today, and leak of info that it was CBD oil, and not even pot...that's awful clean...and not very plausible as an innocent mistake that wasn't detected on way in, but was detected on way out???

Sounds very much like she is in on the ploy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Derivative of same plant yes, but CBD oil has the hallucinogenic component (THC) removed.

....rendering it just another vegetable oil (albeit spendy and trendy).

I doubt Russia even gives a shit about something so benign.

We're being played.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its for vaping or topical/oral dosing, so you dont have to smoke it

13. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Sounds like someone needs to get out of the house more

14. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    According to reports the cannibis oil cartridges are used for vape. Another aspect is Brittney plays for WNBA Phoenix Mercury (Az) where cannibis oil is legal for recreational use.

I did point out the claim by the courts was intent to distribute which I find hard to believe. If it was a plant why would you plant less than 1 gram?

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I mean, its not like people have not been locked up in rather absurd circumstances here over minor drug charges. It sucks to be a geopolitical pawn, but on the same token, her fame is an asset here for her getting back to the US.

16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Bc its complete BS.

Else why would she plead guilty?

17. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Her fame may be an asset to some. Personally I didn't have a clue who this woman was until today. What is that fame worth to the United States government is the question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Same reason many criminals and yes sometimes innocent people do. A plea deal is better than spending 10yrs behind bars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tjenkins78

tjenkins78 Junior

Jul 2, 2022
    Good grief...I'm at a loss for words.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and far more compellingly, for Putin to use to tweak public sentiment for her freedom, and to look past the transgressions of the MOD.