Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brexiters are waking up to the damage they've done

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Jan 19, 2021.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Brexiters are waking up to the damage they've done | Polly Toynbee

From horse racing to fishing to road haulage, British industry is in chaos. No wonder leavers are turning on each other
    All these losses to a host of smaller industries mount up fast. But look at the Sunday Times report on the crisis in a car industry that’s worth £42bn in exports, employing 823,000 people, where car-part delays are halting production at some factories. Yet still, most economically deadly is the unseen slipping away of invisibles, where that 80% of the economy in services is already leaking tax revenues. Bloomberg keeps up its grim recording of no likely progress: “City of London’s plight laid bare as Brexit deal hopes fade,” it reports.

And then there is the unfolding Northern Ireland disaster. Stena Line ferries has diverted its Great Britain-Northern Ireland sea crossings to the Rosslare-to-Cherbourg route instead. The Times headline reads “Doldrums ahead in shipping forecast as Brexit complicates customs”.

2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Brexit not going smoothly part 2. Being single isn’t as fun as it seemed when you had a GF.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    We have friends who are from Liverpool, they say it's a fumess.

4. boligator

boligator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    The brexiters drank the nationalist kool-aid espoused by dishonest politicians telling their "base" what they wanted to hear for self serving reasons...sound familiar???
    Like it or not, we live in a global community with intricate ties across borders. Period. If you want to go it alone...look no further than NK for a shining example....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Strange how going along with Mercer and Russian info ops doesn't work out well. Maybe they don't have good intentions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Thanks.

As an American that is only somewhat familiar it seems to me that the UK HAD to see what chaos would occur with this legislation.

I would not be surprised to see the UK go into a deep recession over this.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It was weird that there were multiple people on this forum (mostly the alt-righties at the time who were obviously taking their talking point orders from Breitbart) who were hugely into Brexit. They were actively pulling for it. Made no real rational sense. Other than I guess some were so deep down into “nationalism” they cared about nationalism prevailing in OTHER countries (which seems sort of conflicted to me).

At best an American should have been “neutral” on it. Seems like for most of our purposes, having the UK in the EU would be a matter of convenience (for travel and such). But it probably doesn’t effect most of us much beyond that. Unless you see EU as an economic competitor or something, in which case, you might want to see their economic bloc fail. But I don’t think EU is much of a threat to us in terms of trade, so for me Brexit is only a negative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Nobody could have seen this coming. Nobody! :rolleyes:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    On the bright side it has shut up some of my British friends. They tell me our political situation is such a mess that we should rejoin the monarchy. I tell them that when they go bankrupt from Brexit, they can apply to join the U.S. as the 51st state. If they can't figure out a way to undo that referendum they are screwed long term.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Sounds like Brexit is a giant Bruckup.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

It’s almost like some of us said this would happen...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hopefully it drops the hotel room rates in London. $550 per night for room I can get in Miami or Paris for $250. I think that covid is part of the impact now though

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    On this side of the pond we found that dumping large quantities of tea into the harbor tends to get the point across. You might try that next time?

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I saw a tweet that there was a big gravy and jelly shortage. Poor bastards.

15. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Tea and Jelly shortage? It's on now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The British Trump. Not a single one of those idiots who voted for Brexit can claim they didn’t know exactly what was going to happen. They took the tradeoff to feed their racism and xenophobia. They are just upset that it’s hurting THEM now. Mirror image of all the “normal” establishment republicans who would never let a man like Trump on their property, but voted for him to feed their inner racist, and now are clutching their pearls and calling for their fainting couches because the Putin puppet has nearly destroyed our democracy, directed a seditious insurrection trying to overthrow the US government, and murdered some of their friends and relatives by intentionally forcing covid to explode and make America the most dangerous place on the planet.

All these Americans and Brits should live all the remaining minutes of their lives in suffocating shame.

But they won’t. They’ll blame dark-skinned people and “the libs”.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I have product that starts life in the Netherlands but goes to either Scotland or England for finishing.
    Been a goat rope.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It's one thing to be part of a large group of nations where you must follow all their rules for trade production etc and quite another to be a closed society run by a dictator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Perhaps if you looked at what they complaints about the EU were that fueled Brexit you would realize it wasn't about racism or xenophobia. Not everything is man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Don't agree about xenophobia, huge driver IMO.

Britain will tale-spin into a deep recession before they emerge on the other side of Brexit.

• Agree Agree x 2