Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brexit not running smoothly

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The real problem? Simon Cowell didn't run the PR up to the election. How is anyone going to know how to vote if they are entertained along the way?

Not that it isn't any different here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    UK's next PM
    British police called to home of PM candidate Boris Johnson after altercation - Reuters

Probably a couple of "remainers" trying to take down Boris.....:D

3. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

My country is sinking to the bottom quicker than metal feather.

The sheer number of people 'defending' Boris today without any facts, is insane. Likewise, those automatically criminalising him, equally disgusting. We live in a vacuum of politically-charged insanity where logic, reason and listening are dead arts. But perhaps most worryingly of all, I can't get over the volume of tweets I've read chastising the people who called the police and questioning their motives (and even suggesting strategic harassment of them to be named and shamed... from prominent journalists even!!).
    We have hit absolute rock bottom. I don't care who you are, what your politic leanings are, your race or orientation ... I don't want to be part of any system/society which demeans people calling for professional intervention when someone is at potential risk of domestic violence. That's not being partisan or political - it's a ludicrous state of affairs.

And speaking of insane political news... Boris is apparently refusing to do any live TV debates with Jeremy Hunt, except for one in mid July, after postal voting ballots have long since opened. This is how he'll become PM - firmly through the back door. Politics in the UK is officially dead to me - it's as corrupt as I can ever remember. I guess the only good news is that he can't hide when he's in office and based on his efforts so far, it'll make for a moderately entertaining maelstrom while the economic storm envelops us...

This tweet sums it all up beautifully. Chronic shame:
    upload_2019-6-22_14-51-12.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I hope this helps you. You all have a LONG ways to sink...unfortunately.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LimeyGator

Brilliant. :) That definitely made me smile and yes, it's right.

It's all relative I guess. Have a great day, Tegator and thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 2
  6. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    If Boris does get it hopefully he will keep his word and allow a hard BREXIT for the people if that deadline comes again. May was a disgrace lying about that so many times. I am skeptical he will keep his word with how the crooked elites control a lot of these politicians.

[​IMG]

An insightful letter to Nigel Farage.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  7. LimeyGator

An absolutely wonderful short read on Brexit, 3 years on from the vote, if anyone feels so inclined.It talks it through in plain terms and starts from the assumption that you haven't been following, so if you've not known much about it to date, this is your shot. :) It captures the situation pertinently and cuts through the fact vs fantasy. I highly recommend.

One quote that I love:

"You either accepted objective reality, in which case you recognized that Brexit was going to be a painful process toward a suboptimal outcome. Or you didn’t, in which case you saw it as a heroic adventure of macho national destiny. It goes without saying that the first team lost. At the heart of the Leave campaign was a large lie: Britain could leave the EU, take full control of every aspect of its regulations and laws, and still maintain frictionless trade with Europe, its largest market."

Have a look!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may opine...again...about what us truly going on, it really is all about the makeup of the people in modern society, obviously including England and the associated countries. So...we shot first and then asked questions later and that is WHOSE problem? We voted for Obamacare so that "we have to pass it in order to find out what is in it" and...that person is AGAIN the third most powerful person in the US?

We are a bunch of distracted and self-serving jerks masquerading around as nationalists. And stupidity is rife. And so...a bad vote is the politician's fault because they should have put us first instead of their own self interests? They should be adults so that we get to play in the sandbox? REALLY???

My point is simply this: if all these decisions are DAMN COMPLICATED and the only way we can negotiate them is to be sold by "noble persons" and not self-serving jerks - also known as human beings - then the train wreck WILL happen, sooner or later. Brexit is a way of saying "this may be ours." In the US, I have to think that while Trump may not be The Big One, he is definitely setting us up for it. I am a Never Trumper for a reason and that is not because of the man per se but rather what he represents: a fundamental shift away from a weak POTUS to a strong one. And so it is what he will incubate that I am the most worried. A Chavez IS taking notice. History says so. It is in our DNA.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  9. LimeyGator

Oh and this is the guy who will be our next Prime Minister. Seriously.

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    That is some exceptional handwriting for a 10 year old. Esp. in the age of the Internet where 99% of our writing is done with a keyboard of one type or another.

11. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    The only fantasy is the doom and gloom presented by the crooked pro-globalists. The people have spoken and BREXIT needs to be implemented.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado

13. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Knowing the EU will not renegotiate the already agreed upon terms, if Boris had the balls he would pull the UK out on the first day in office.
    The truth is he praying the EU blinks first and gives him some crumbs to hang his hat on.

The EU should start negotiations with Scotland about leaving the UK for the EU.

15. LimeyGator

That's what he says his plan is. To withdraw, offer them a free trade deal, not pay the $39bn divorce bill...

It's a pipe dream for several reasons.
    1) This GATT24 idea has been thoroughly debunked by lawyers. WTO rules would be the only way without a trade deal, and that's going to hurt us monumentally (and yes, more than it will them).
    2) The divorce bill isn't optional. It's to settle our legal obligations of committed money. Sure it's technically negotiable but that bit already happened. They aren't going to forgo the rest because we don't fancy it.
    3) The EU have already done their negotiations. Why would they suddenly settle for less? This whole fiasco is because nothing will be good enough unless we get our way entirely, which is an utter farce.

Johnson is a self-serving buffoon and his time in office will be short and disastrous. Hopefully it'll be spectacularly bad enough to help some finally find some sense again.
    And in all this, had there been a credible Opposition, they'd be 25-35 points ahead in the polls by now. Alas, it's Corbyn and he's just as pathetic...

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Limey, do you think Scotland will leave the UK if there is a no deal break up? How bad would that hurt the UK and England particularly?

17. LimeyGator

Can't guarantee anything, but yes I'd very much expect them to have a second referendum on independence and overwhelmingly vote to leave. I'd then expect them to go through whatever channels are necessary to get back into the EU over time. Wouldn't that be a thing?

How it would affect us, heck knows. I wouldn't be a fan but I couldn't blame them one bit.
    I guess Little Britain could get even Littler*... cheerful stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

Welcome to the mad house......we have Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I hear that Boris has....um....mate issues. Is this a deal-breaker?

20. LimeyGator

Nope. He's Mr Teflon. Nothing sticks to him, it seems.

His core will vote him in and then he gets to play out his fantasy as PM. It won't last long...

• Informative Informative x 1