Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brenton Cox Jr. has been dismissed from the Gators [Cox Tweet at #213]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by flgatormike, Oct 31, 2022.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Gonna defer to the coach on this one. Clearly not a flippant decision to make. No problem with this unless further info comes out to the contrary.

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    This. Something happened to fill that cumulative bucket. What that something was we may never know, but I think we can piece together enough to have but a few hypotheses of why he's cumulatively gone.

I commend coach for the move. I'm sure this was a calculated decision that he feels is best for the team. I hope this is the type of move that pulls the team together - that shows what is required to succeed and that ain't slacking or being selfish or being a bad teammate.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gatornee

gatornee Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    Napier said it was “cumulative”.

4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bummer but have to trust the coaches on this one.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    No doubt, I would just think that other remedies might have been attempted first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree with this. I think Napier doesn't want to kick the kid when he's down. No reason to pile on a kid if he did something stupid. Let Cox explain himself instead. Napier only addressed what's good for the team, and I think that's fine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    How do we know other remedies were not used and this was the last straw? We the fans are not privy to every single thing that is going on behind the scenes...just like in a family-what goes on in the confines of your home is private...so without embarrassing him-and announcing to the public what they were trying with him-they probably tried different solutions-as a now retired high school counselor-many times the parents and I tried different solutions without announcing it to the world-sometimes they worked and no one was the wiser, sometimes they did not and again-no one the wiser

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I agree but again, I'm going to assume that was tried or considered before deciding on such a decisive move. We'll find out down the road I imagine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sure, no doubt we don't know if anything behind the scenes were tried, but the odd thing that we all know wasn't tried was impacting his playing time.

11. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    Running into a pile and throwing random blind uppercuts on the off chance you might knock the ball out is not a football play. I don't care even slightly if you disagree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm guessing he just doesn't want to hurt the kids draft stock any more than being kicked off the team. It seems strange that he wouldn't be suspended for a week, or just not play a week due to coaches decision before being dismissed, but maybe he's been a cancer all year and they just finally had enough. I can't imagine it being the punch thrown in the game, that stuff happens all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Good point. There might be exceptions. But, generally, I don't understand why it's a secret. I mean, are the offenses shared with the other players so that they at least learn what constitutes a capital offense? I just kind of feel like if he did something wrong, then he should be embarrassed about his actions. That's part of the consequences that accompany bad actions. But, we don't know what he did, so, I guess we can't even really form an opinion on that. I'm not challenging the coach releasing players; we have entrusted them to make those decisions. I just wish we knew why. I agree that avoiding further embarrassment to the program might be a good reason for secrecy though.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    There are ways other than game time though. If this were Mullen or Mac who let the inmates run the asylum I'd agree but given everything Napier preaches I'm going to assume he has been dealing with Cox through various methods which is to say this has been an ongoing situation.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Maybe that was the remedy they tried-as long as you go without doing ____, you will keep playing, but if you misstep one more time after , you are gone-I am sure his parents were in on what ever was going on-used to do "contracts" about behavior, grades, etc all the time

• Like Like x 1
  16. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm sure some info is going to come out from another source on exactly what he did wrong. Aint no way you can keep that many secrets from 80 guys in a locker room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    I hear he prefers Mr Pibb over Dr Pepper

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Stuff like this usually is cumulative to football related activities: punctuality for meetings, respecting authority, accepting coaching, going to class, entitlement lots of stuff.

The transgressions are never made public BN hasn’t been one to roll the bus on players in public I don’t even expect him to start now.

He is clearly leaving the door open for BC to land somewhere else with minimal baggage to carry forward.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Usually the first step as a football coach to correct unwanted actions is either the bench or the depth chart.... I think something more egregious must have happened between Cox starting the game on Sat to now that precipitated this reaction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    You thought our defense was bad, just wait until we play without BCJ!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1