Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breakout Freshmen and Portal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 26, 2023.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I went back and looked at who has been added to the roster for 23. It is my belief that a large number of the class will play as well as several from the portal. After watching the O&B game and listening to guys who have seen development up close and personal I've listed my top 5 from the freshmen class and top 3 from the portal.

1. Kelby Collins
    2. Andy Jean
    3. Eugene Wilson (needs to catch up but he will play a lot.)
    4. Aidan Mizell
    5. Sharif Denson
    surprise of freshmen class (Jordan Castell)

Portal
    1. CamRon Jackson (no brainer)
    2. Micah Mazzccua (if healthy)
    3. Graham Mertz
    surprise of portal class (Ronald Nunnery)

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes!!! We have some high quality offensive weapons at WR and solid pieces on the D. Likely a struggle to get to 8 wins unless the QB’s were sand bagging in the O&B game.

3. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I think Mertz was still learning I anticipate him to be much improve come August

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Does this season really come down to if Mertz can play to his potential? We all are expecting the defense to be mildly improved, which would’ve probably won us 2 more games last year. We have receivers now, however they’re all young. So if the receivers and Mertz can find a groove, we might shock some people this year? Is it wrong to think that?

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    As you know, QB play is particularly important.

No, it's not unrealistic to believe we could be better than 5 or 6 wins, especially with a decent defense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    that's pretty much my take (pearsall in addition to the young wrs). whether it's mertz or some other qb on the roster, it appears our fortune will come down to if that position can be slightly above average.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Jakeem Jackson will see some time as well

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm not one who bets on games, but I don't have my hopes on Mertz; hence I wouldn't bet the farm on him. To a large degree, the Gators will do about as well as Mertz. Plus, there are too many new, as well as, freshman players. I believe in miracles, and this season will take a miracle with so many new pieces. We will need the OL to gel; the RB's will deliver and do even more with OL help; the WR's to run crisp routes, get open, AND catch the ball; and the QB to be on target and exhibit great pocket presence. I fear that is asking a lot! I wouldn't be surprised if our defense plays better than the offense! That's scary, because that means low scoring and very close games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I think Mertz will pleasantly surprise some people this season. There are less then 4 QB's in D1 with more starts then Mertz. He has experience. And I really can't remember the last prolific passer Wisconsin produced so I'm not sure I can really hold that against the kid. He was highly ranked coming out of HS, did well at the Elite 11, set a TD record at the army all american game and then got to Wiscy amd did about the same as previous Wiscy QB's. I'll reserve judgment on the kid till he plays for us in the O&B.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017

12. Finlake48

Finlake48 Sophomore

Jul 19, 2017
    I tend to agree. I just re-watched the spring game again. The defense blitzed a lot to start the game..seemingly leaving the OL surprised and unprepared. He didn’t have time to set his feet and hit the first option. Still..he had a decent completion percentage. I’m more worried about our passing game scheme than Mertz himself.
    In a separate point…I like the WR room more than some and not just because of the true Freshman (whom I love). Pearsall (proven). Douglas (produced At every opportunity..hate the fumble spring game)). Fraziars (shown good catch radius…unlucky injury last season just as he started to shine) Burke (simply under utilized…hope he reads this haha ). These points along with the improved talent of the T freshman make it about X’s and O’s more than talent.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Solid, dependable and experiencd are underrated traits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    We don't need a hero, we just need someone to complete most their passes, utilize short to intermediate routes, keep the defense honest work the play action and open it up for our very talented RB's. With an improved defense, that scheme.can win us at least 2-3 more games than last year. I don't think anyone is realistically thinking playoffs this year but I would be ecstatic with 8-9 wins, with some good wins over most of our rivals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Playoffs? Playoffs???!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. gcger520

gcger520 Freshman

Jun 27, 2019
    I’m over in Ireland on vacation. I noticed a Wisconsin hat on the gentleman next to me. Started up a conversation with him. He says we are going to enjoy Mertz big time. Said he was one of the best that got killed by coaching changes. He went as far to say he’ll play on Sundays. Encouraging to say the least.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Week go as far as our run game will take us. If we can't run the ball effectively, Mertz has no chance against SEC defenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. larsrover

larsrover Recruit

Aug 3, 2022
    Mertz and all played Spring game without starting center.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    15-0 brother! Damn Right!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1