Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

BREAKING: Vanderbilt Just Fired Mason

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LLCoolJ94, Nov 29, 2020.

1. dudeman

dudeman Junior

Oct 11, 2020
    He's not that good of a DC. What is wrong with people?

Also, what a dumb move by Vandy. They don't have the resources to deal with buyouts, coaching searches etc. Mason has kept his players from being gang rapists as far as I know - Vandy should just call that a win and keep moving with Mason.

They have a woman AD, just put a woman on the football team for a PR stunt - look for them to hire a woman as football coach.

They really should be kicked out of the SEC. Program is awful, field and stadium are terrible. No fans. Complete clown show.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. dudeman

dudeman Junior

Oct 11, 2020
    There are at least 100 guys on that campus that would have been a better choice. They have a men's soccer club team - literally any one of those guys would have been a better choice. But I guess the phone call to the soccer coach just made more sense, right? I mean, it's unlikely that half that club team also kicked while in high school. Nah, that never happens. Soccer players never dual sport like that in high school.

Oh, and all the people that run with "sexist" accusations because people don't like the mockery this PR stunt was, are just admitting they have no argument or principled stance to rely upon here.

For all the Sarah Fuller fans out there, please enlighten us as to her likelihood of success with an onsides middle kick designed for her to recover, a la Pat McAfee and others. Anyone think that's an option with a 6'2" girl with no upper body strength and a 7.0s 40yd time? Anyone? How about FGs on that weak leg and low trajectory? And how well will she do on selecting the proper angle, cutting off the middle of the field, using the sideline and making a tackle if a returner gets loose?

Face it, we all joke about the majority of kickers already, saying they aren't real football players. And now you trot out a woman that is slower, weaker, and less capable, but that is worthy of hero worship? This is like a bad joke.

There are videos of women from the US Women's National Team, trying to kick FGs. They suck. Badly. High school kickers are better. Those women have a slow run-up, require twice the distance that men require for the run-up, take twice as long or longer, low trajectory, and little to no distance when you make them shorten to a quick run-up. But it's sexist to point this out?

Stop with your blanket accusations and come back when you have an argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Sacrcasm, Sheldon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nothing goes over your head, your reflexes are way too fast.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 5
  5. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    Yeah... unfortunately we all have our share of annoying fans... present company excluded, of course!

That whistle is not as grating to me as the damn cock at Williams Brice!

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That damn cock is music to my ears compared to that grating electronic sandstorm noise they blast incessantly over the PA

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    Yeah.... I had forgotten that, not having been in the stadium in several years! The cock is much more audible on TV!... but, yeah, the music IS ... well ... “grating”!

8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry to continue to disagree. But it is not logical to believe something totally unproven. No evidence that there was not one player on team who cannot place kick. Nor is there not one male student on some other sport (baseball?) who was a good kicker in high school.

Also, note that at half time of football game vs Mizzou, she gave a speech to Vandy team chastising them for not cheering doing game. Hmmm. Imagine a walk on fr dressing out for his first game at UF and chastising our players, as in guys like Pitts, Trask, Heggie, Slaton, Elam, etc.

In my opinion, it was a stunt. A team at 0-7 trying its best to be politically correct, as if side stepping the bad season, by being so "woke", so glass breaking, so much a champion for gender destruction, etc.

Then we have the media gushing over her and vandy.

She kicked off to start 2nd half. She squibbed it to 35. There were choices: (1) kick to end zone, (2) on-side kick and (3) squib. Why not 1 or 2?

Who is the last line of defense in a kick off return? The kicker. Was she? No she ran for the sideline, clearly no intent to be last line in the event of a return. Evidence of a stunt.

Vanderbilt, Coach Mason and Sarah Fuller disrespected the game of football. That's my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr All American

Oct 5, 2007

I AGREE. SPOT ON

10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    I guess for me it comes down to if it's him, or the fact that it's Vandy as to why he doesn't have better defenses.
    If he is a good recruiter, is he not getting the players because it's Vandy? Are the lower ranked players the reason their defenses aren't ranked higher? Kind of a chicken and egg thing.
    Maybe the guy isn't a good coach but maybe he would be a good analyst. We'll see if Saban picks him up.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You may be right. Maybe there was a more highly qualified male on campus after everybody else had left before Thanksgiving. Then again, maybe there wasn’t.

One thing we can definitely agree on is that the media ruined it by making a mockery of the special teams award. Without that nonsense, the girl could have made the kick and everybody would have gone home happy. But noooo.....got to grab their freaking PC torch and ram it down our throats. Again....and again...

It’s what they do - they literally make everything worse, when they’re not just making shit up altogether. Freedom of the press has morphed into something divisive and destructive

Go Gators.

• Winner Winner x 5
  12. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    During normal times? Sure. I agree.
    But Coach Mason said - and others have confirmed - the campus had been damn-near empty for a week. Campuses all over the U.S. sent students “home for Thanksgiving” on FRIDAY 20 NOVEMBER.... with the plan in place that the last week of classes and also finals week being virtual.

So was the men’s soccer CLUB even on campus? Who knows? But there is at least a strong possibility that the “100 guys” who would have “been a better choice” were not even there. Maybe the 100 guys who WERE on campus were a couple of professors and the janitorial staff. Just a thought.

And yes, the question still remains about whether any of the remaining healthy guys on the football team could have attempted a squib kickoff
    and/or a PAT or FG. No clue.

Like I said originally (on this topic), I really do not think that “stunt” was the goal... but it certainly turned into much of the result. IMHO.

13. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Here is some useless Vandy trivia for the day. There are actually 2 of them.

Most college baseball fans think the Vandy whistler is one man, but it’s actually two guys. Jeff Pack is a 64-year-old from Hermitage, Tennessee. Preacher Franklin is a 72-year-old from Smyrna, Tennessee. Both are lifelong Vanderbilt fans who started whistling years ago at sporting events independent of each other. They are often confused with each other.

14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Jay Cutler is the only one I can think of. Remember him dueling it out with Tebow in OT, we were a little bit fortunate to win that game. Then dueling it out with Rex in Chicago.
    He wasn't a blue chip recruit, but proved to be one while in college (kinda like somebody else we know) and was the #3 QB drafted into the NFL in 2006.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well played sir. :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1