Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breaking: Tiger Woods, Extracted With Jaws Of Life after roll over accident.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Feb 23, 2021.

1. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I work in orthopedics so looked at the details they released. He’s got significant hardware including a rod completely through his tibia. Screws and pins in his ankle - probably encouraging that there’s no plates.

He will walk again. Will have significant foot/ankle arthritis in time. Most ankle arthritis is due to a traumatic event like this.

With the back surgeries he had - probably safe to say the likelihood he would be an “elite” golfer again was not good. More likely not happening again now.

Hopefully he can find something else to do with his time, recover and have a good life with the kids. They’re young - he’s got a lot to do there still.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Thanks for the analysis. I have arthritis in both knees. Not from a traumatic event, just getting old. I can't walk 9 holes let alone 18. I am not an elite athlete like Tiger but I do believe his career as a competitive golfer is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Yep - arthritis elsewhere is typically just genetic or as you said - getting old.

My father-in-law shattered both ankles in a plane crash like 18 years ago. He’s done excellent actually. But when we got married (on a beach) 16 years ago there was some concern on how he would navigate the “walking down the aisle” with my wife. All was fine, but it was a concern.

He’s now a candidate for ankle replacement but not sure he wants to go thru it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

True. However I think the Kobe thing is still fresh and I think when the images first emerged folks thought the worst and then the snowball was already rolling.
    I am a big fan too. He is a great human story. The fall from grace. The climb back to win the Masters, seeing him with his kids etc.

I heard Michael Collins (ESPN - Former caddie) say yesterday that TW used to be uncomfortable with people being comfortable around him on the course. (He wanted to intimidate his opponent.) He is now the opposite. He is only comfortable around people who are comfortable around him. He doesn't have that killer instinct as much, but appreciates the experience more.

I honestly hope he can play at some level again. He is very important to the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    "Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling."

Very significant injuries, not good. I would imagine he will now face a lengthy road of rehab, just to regain full mobility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. First I heard. I guess it could be worse. Crazy.

7. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Being an athlete with these injuries plus the back surgeries at age 45. That will be tough if not impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He got screwed and pinned. o_O

9. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm not a fan as he has shown to be an ass from way back. Speaking of intimidation tactics, I heard a quote a while back that he wanted to see a rival just go away, or something to that effect. As far as not having the killer instinct, maybe he has grown from being an ass-wipe. I've never understood why he's been important to the game as he's always been given a pass for being a jerk. If anyone else had his attitude towards others, they would have been drummed out. I know why (I won't say why to keep this from going to Too Hot) he's given that status, just never understood it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Tigers perception from those around him has completely changed. I agree that young Tiger was all of those things.

11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    Well I honestly think everything is a blessing, even bad things according to our limited vison. Tiger did some very wrong things in the past . Life has a way of helping us atone for that. Maybe he needed another wake up call in addition to his ex-wife's golf club and all the shame that came from that. Like some of you have said, hopefully, this will remind him of how lucky he is to be alive and start focusing on things that make him a little less visible in the eyes of the public, but more profound in the eyes of his children. Be a dad. If he put as much energy into being a dad as he has in being a golfer, he will be an awesome one. I pray for his healing, in every way he needs to be healed.

12. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I put this on another thread but my daughter plays soccer with his daughter and Tiger is at every game. Not only is he there, but he engages with other parents as well and I have found him to be quite a good guy to be around.

Despite his obligations in California this weekend he was at his daughter’s soccer game which ended around 9:00 pm Friday night.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Not ashamed to admit I cried when he threw that dart at 15 or 16 ( par 3 can’t recall which hole) and iced the 2019 masters. As a person that’s been about as low as one could go and worked my way back I most definitely had a soft spot for the man given all the public ridicule keyboard gangsters were so eager to pour onto him over the previous decade. I can’t imagine him being able to compete in any real fashion moving forward, that sucks honestly

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. traveling gator

traveling gator Freshman

Mar 7, 2017
    Hopefully he can recover through hard work like Hogan did back in the day. Of course Hogan was only 36 so that is a huge point of difference. Tiger does have the Hogan trait of relentless drive to be the best, although Tiger has much less to prove at this point in his career.

15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    From a golfing standpoint he'd be better off if the bulk of the damage is to his right ankle/leg. Since his back issue he's moved from his center pivot to more of a front post/center pivot. If he cant pivot and post on that left leg, he's done from a golfing standpoint. He may have been done anyhow before this with the back issue.

16. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    All things considered, it looked much worse when I first saw the news. If he get's back to playing at any real competitive level I'd be surprised. Of course, I thought he was done 4 years ago. I could see him teaching his son and putting his love of golf into his son's game.

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That’s a good point. For a right handed golfer there’s a lot more torque put on the left leg than the right through the downswing. Still, you probably can’t get away with too much of a debilitation on either side for competitive PGA tour and major golf. If not just the wear and tear and possible additional stresses on other body parts (back, hip). The senior tour is more accommodating with golf carts and such, to keep the old guys going.

That being said, with the type of issues Tiger already had with the back I didn’t think the senior tour was in his future. I always assumed he’d go more the Greg Norman path and focus more on his business ventures and other stuff - with the occasional major appearance. I figured he’d play the senior majors and that was about it *if* he could keep
    his back healthy he might do a few years of very limited appearances (kind of like 2020 where he already only did 9 total tournaments), but any flare up and I figured he’d be out. Now that senior schedule seems far more unlikely even...since his body will likely be under far more stress if he can even get back at all.

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Jack Nicklaus is a genuine ass too, I mean a guy who literally treated people like shit pretty much everywhere. These ultra competitive people are sometimes just wired differently. Some guys just hide it better than others or put on a different persona for tv interviews. A lot of people supposedly hate Phil inside the locker room, but he also has a reputation for being a nice guy who goes out of his way for fans and a big tipper to the help wherever he goes.

Tiger seemed to be somewhere in between. On the one hand, he was obviously a douche to (reportedly) speed out of the parking lot after being delayed. On the other hand, it seems he really cared about being on time to his filmed TV appearance, which is just amazingly weird to think this is what Tiger nearly died over. A true primadonna wouldn’t care about being late to give someone a taped TV golf lesson, Drew Brees can wait 20mins.

19. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Back in the day, I was a Tom Watson fan, not Jack.

RE: Tiger turning it around and being a good dad and all, that's expected of every dad. Does not make up for his past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Read Hank Haney's book on TW.. It appears he had turned a complete 180 when he returned to the tour.. You would actually see him smile & interact with other players in his group.. That NEVER happened before..

• Agree Agree x 1