Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breaking: NATO allies should spend 4% of gdp on defense per Trump

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Jul 11, 2018.

1. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    nothing like making things up as you go along and dropping it on your allies like a bomb.

Edit-no link yet, just a WSJ headline on my phone.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    President Donald Trump has suggested that NATO allies commit to spending 4 percent of their GDP on defense, up from the current goal of 2 percent by 2024.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirms Trump raised the idea at a closed-door meeting with fellow NATO leaders Wednesday in Brussels.

It’s unclear by what date he’d like to see the increase.

Trump has been pressing member countries to spend more on defense, accusing them of freeloading off the U.S.

The Latest: Trump suggests NATO allies spend more on defense

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    What's the problem?

They rely on the umbrella of security we provide; why not seek to get them to pony up 'their fair share' (as ol' Barry was so fond of saying...)--then maybe we can afford to take a little better care of our own, like the luxury they currently enjoy.

Figured the libbies would welcome such news...

(alas, it came from Trump, therefore...it's *bad*...). :ninja2:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Neo-progressive Democrat TDS snowflake trigger-reaction:

"Trumps suggested X".

Therefore X=bad.

• Winner Winner x 4
  5. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    100% incorrect. I’ve generally supported Trump pushing our allies to commit their fair share, which has been agreed-upon at 2% of GDP

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I see...that came out so crystal clear in your OP. Don't know how I could possibly have mis-read that... :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I love the idea of our NATO allies putting up 4% of their GDP for defense.

I'm very skeptical of Trump's approach in getting them to agree to it. The fallout from his assholish behavior could be tremendous.

I'll withhold judgment until we see the results.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NATO pledges to boost defense spending after stern words from Trump

NATO leaders pledged their “unwavering commitment” to boost defense spending on Wednesday, following stern words from President Trump criticizing European leaders for spending too little.

The U.S. and European allies signed a declaration stating they are “committed to improving the balance of sharing the costs and responsibilities of alliance membership.”

The declaration comes after confrontational and testy discussions between Trump and other NATO leaders.

Since the election, Trump has criticized NATO countries for not paying their fair share, while suggesting he would only come to the defense of NATO nations that fulfilled their financial obligation.

NATO pledges to boost defense spending after stern words from Trump

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Good deflecti. The initial post has nothing to do with 2%, and everything to do with his just waking up this morning and deciding That 2% should be 4% because he said so. And 4% would be about 15% higher than we’re paying now, which is patently ridiculous

10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Which they aren't doing, and is probably inadequate anyway from what I have read.

So you think it is our responsibility to fund most of NATO, while the countries that most benefit from NATO don't pay their fair share?

I'm pretty sure if Trump had proposed more spending by the US on NATO, you would have been complaining about that.

11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    We're only paying a scant 4% of our GDP (rather, 15% less than 4%) on maintaining our military, and providing the umbrella of protection our allies enjoy???

I'd like to see your source for that figure...

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. diehardgator1

Apr 3, 2007
    How do you come up with that figure as we are paying 3.62 % now

[​IMG]

13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and btw, how do you suppose to get someone footing less than 2% of GDP to pony up the full 2%? By asking them to pay 2%?

...or maybe shooting a little higher, then maybe *settling* for something a little less than what you asked for, but higher than what they were doing...

hmmmmmmmmmmm....

(Is Trump that brilliant? ...or are his detractors as dense as they seem to present...).

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    No, I think he’s just trolling our allies.

Yesterday tweets that everybody should spend 2% of GDP on defense.

Today says well everybody should spend 4% of GDP on defense

He’s just making shit up as he goes along to be unpredictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. diehardgator1

Apr 3, 2007
    Did not say any such thing. he suggested everyone to pay 4% big difference

""suggested that countries not only meet their commitment of 2 percent of their GDP on defense spending, but that they increase it to 4 percent. Trump wants to see our allies share more of the burden and at a very minimum meet their already stated obligations."

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    No. NATO already has targets, this isnt a renegotiation. Either they hit the targets that they established within the agreed-upon time frames Or they suffer the consequences, Which in this case would be our reallocating troops elsewhere., Because we are not about to reduce our overall military spending.

17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    So Draconian...

Why not give them a chance to make things right?

18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Why don't we just lower our percentage of spending to something like 2.5%?

My concern is that we spend too much. I'm much less concerned that other countries aren't contributing "their fair share."

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    We are giving them the chance, don’t they have until 2024 to hit their targets?

I negotiate for a living. Asking for more than you need is a very basic strategy when the parties are establishing their positions. The positions Here are established, And need to be enforced. Vacillating on your terms from day to day to enforce an existing agreement is just a bad strategy.

20. diehardgator1

Apr 3, 2007
    How long have they had to make things right ? 10 years or more and still have not. Money talks and bullshit walks . About time somebody called them out. Dam tired of the U S A having to borrow money that we the tax payers have to repay to support these free loaders

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1