Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breaking my Silence . . . With a Bracket Contest

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Mar 13, 2020.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I stopped posting back in January (thanks for noticing :ninja2:). Won't get into the reasons why. First - like many/most, I found this season frustrating and disappointing. For whatever reason, the team did not come together. The offense was, at many times, offensive. The coaching was suspect. But now it's over, so onward.

The tourneys were taken away and for many of us, it feels as if our souls were stripped away. We LIVE for this time of year. Folks make pilgrimages to Nashville and Vegas just to enjoy the spectacle of tournament basketball. There can be no replacement for March Madness, but I do have an idea . . .

I've seeded 68 teams for a hypothetical 2020 NCAA tournament. I'd like to locate a handful of judges, who would pick the scores of each game. Their picks would be factored to determine which teams advance. Another group of posters could submit bracket picks. We tally points and anoint a winner.

This is just a prelim post to elicit thoughts, suggestions, and determine the nature/extent of interest.

One final thought: This will not be a Lunardi bracket. It would consist of the seedings appointed by yours truly and I reserve the right to be wrong. Would not bother me at all for folks to critique the bracket. That in itself would provide some fodder and would be the starting point of the venture.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I was thinking we on NBN could seed the tourney, first. Fill out the brackets, then go game by game...?

also, might be fun to invite fans from the boards of the teams to post or petition us on why their team would win a particular game...and we vote. I wonder if it is possible to partition the board off, those from other teams/schools only have access to a subforum to post their petitions...or, maybe it’s okay they vote too?

3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    So you would have us discuss each game, and then vote for the winner who would move on?

• Like Like x 1
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    LOL..I see a very quick exit by f$u

• Funny x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I would have the participants fill out brackets just like the real tournament. Three judges would pick the game scores, which would be averaged to determine the outcomes.

I like bogeys ideas, but it sounds like alotta work and waiting for banter before getting to the actual games. In the real tourney, the masses don’t get to decide seeding - we only get to complain about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I almost made a post game post about how Florida beat UGA on the unexpected triple-double performance by Tre Mann. I figured I could have Florida winning the SEC Tournament and then, who knows, a surprise natty? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Me too. I'd be curious as to your reasons. PM me if you want to chat.

8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I think FSU plays my favorite team in one of the "first four"...

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Just omit the 5 seeds and let the big 12 dog rule.

10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I have a sneaking suspicion the Gators will win this hypothetical tournament ;)

And welcome back @gatordavisl...you were missed

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for the welcome, brother. I don't think your suspicion will last, once you see where the Gators are seeded. ;)

Edit: The key will be to locate a few judges whose bias can be minimized.

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    VERY interesting. Would like to see how their bracket shapes up against mine. For the sake of disclosure, I spent about four hrs last night reviewing data, standings, etc. Took the 15 or so automatic bids, then used standings and kenpom to determine the remaining automatic bids. This minimized bracket-busters and opened the tourney to more P5 at-large selections.

I tried to seed regionally, rewarding conference champions to be seeded in their region, but did not account for location, as I only had 4hrs to seed the field. Tried to minimize the potential for rematches and did my best to spread the conferences evenly among the regions. It was really quite fun and while my bracket might present plenty of room for disagreement, I'm certainly no bracketologist; just a sports fan who has been following the tournament for a few decades.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I think it's a good idea if I can totally figure it out.

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sorry to those who found this confusing. The proposition is pretty simple. We run an imaginary tournament. The judges are neutral and determine who wins each game. The contestants simply fill out brackets.

16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Okay, that's easy. I vote myself to be a judge and then declare I am also a winner. That's making up for doing so badly in the other contest. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Are the discussions -(( if there are any?))- between judges to be aired in a thread to determine who wins a game.? Or do they just vote independent...via PM to you @gatordavisl ?

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good question - thanks. My first thought is that the bracket itself is going to generate plenty of discussion. I don't think it needs to be manufactured for the sake of determining scores. I'd probably prefer that judges make up their minds, present their scores (perhaps with some reasoning) and let the discussion ensue from there. I'd be interested in what others think.

19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Starting the call for judges here:
    @OklahomaGator
    @tampajack1
    @akaGatorhoops

If you agree to be a judge, you would pick the score of each game - that's it. Plz let us know if you are so willing. I'd like to have three judges whose scores would be averaged to determine the outcomes.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Would be nice to have at least 10 contestants also. Here's an initial call:

@jeffphillips21
    @twodaparty
    @33hoop
    @golfinggator
    @diamondted13
    @cincinnatigator (please let him back, mods!)
    @gatorbogey
    @GatorTodd
    @INGATORSWETRUST
    @SJB612
    @demosthenes
    @GatorPlanet
    @ApexNC
    @Singaporegator
    @eastowest
    @channingcrowderhungry
    @GatorLurker
    @llm85
    @Agator

To be a contestant, you would simply fill out a bracket after I release the seedings. Once your bracket is complete, you're done. Just sit back and watch the scores come in.

EDIT: Anyone, except for the judges, may participate. I'm just calling out folks who are regulars on the board in this post.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1