Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brad Weitzel Leaves Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by MadduxFanII, Jun 6, 2019.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Yeah, I worded that wrong,, no idea if same year or not.

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    2005—Tommy Boss over UNC and A. Miller....:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    More staff news.
    Athletic Trainer John Michelini leaving the program. I find it interesting news. Been following our TJ guys and we have had 3 in last couple years.

- Blasucci’s elbow supposedly blows up swelling after every outing. Threw 97 at TCC. Nowhere close to that now. Maybe 92?
    - Ruth had several good outings and was up to 95 but reportedly kept dealing with arm issues after outings all thru the Spring.
    - Milchin had to have a 2nd TJ procedure.

Something is amiss when you consider 80-90% (depending on the study) of MLB P’s who have TJ, come all the way back to the MLB level, and we are 0-3.

I’d guess it’s a combo of the rehab (i.e. Athletic Trainer) and strength and conditioning (i.e. Strength Coach) to build back the durability. Be curious to see if we make a change at S&C.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Very interesting. I would think that is a rather niche job with very few qualified people but I assume you just go hire Michigan’s or something like that (Michigan was just an example, no clue if the person is any good).

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

27—

Who did the procedures on our guys? Typically the sports orthopedic surgeon that performed the surgery is who writes the rehab protocol—

Just MHO from personal experience but for me James Andrews is the best with writing rehab protocols as well as doing the surgery itself.

Number 1 without question is absolutely no shortcuts—the player basically has to dedicate himself to his rehab program.

I have no knowledge as to how this was approached/handled with our guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Blasucci was Farmer (UF doc), Milchin was Altchek in NY and Ruth was Andrews.

So three different rehab protocols with same result. Not sure who/what you point to here, but something is amiss. Also don’t know that you can tie Michelini’s departure to these issues, but common sense tells me, that’s his job. That, and treating blisters....

upload_2019-6-19_9-6-38.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Good info 27—

All I can verify with regards to this topic is I know when Alan went through his rehab not only did he adhere to his protocol but to get back to full speed (not just velo) he worked above and beyond with every aspect of his rehab going the extra mile, doing the extra work, with the mindset of “well, it tore up as strong as it was—so I’ve got to get myself stronger than before”.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Like Like x 3
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Welcome aboard Chuck Jeroloman!

• Like Like x 2
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Seems like a good hire. I like the outside blood.

Obviously you have to assume he is gone in 2 years, 3 max. 36, working his way up, wants a HC job I would assume. Hey, let’s get a couple good years and then best of luck in his future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jon Michelini is a highly regarded trainer and will be shifting over to a different sport at UF. Not sure the reason but he has young children and being college baseball is such a long season with a lot more travel days than most other sports, perhaps he wanted to work with a sport that would allow him to spend more time at home with his family.

And to even insinuate Michelini is the cause of the three kids having post surgery issues (from three different doctors) is a bit unfair. It is a fact when a renowned doctor like Andrews, for example, does a surgery, the patient is expected to follow his strict rehab regimen and go back to him for follow up visits.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    We have had a good run with Brad at third base.

I don't want to say anything more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1