Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brad Weitzel Leaves Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by MadduxFanII, Jun 6, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know the details of the grumblings, but I do know that they have been here since he arrived (even in Omaha years). I also know that no FLORIDA coach has had more 1st round MLB draft picks. No FLORIDA coach has produced more MLB players. All that said, to whatever extent there may be a problem, it appears that Sully is attempting to address it. Show me a drop off going forward, and I'll pay attention to the import of the grumblings. So far it seems the squeeze and produce method had been pretty damn successful and at the same time, not for everybody.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Look, no one's perfect, and I've frequently criticized O'Sullivan's in-game managing. And this past season was a bit of a trainwreck, with basically none of the pitchers developing during the season. Kevin O'Sullivan is a well-paid public figure and that means he's a legitimate target for criticism.

But if you're going to argue that O'Sullivan is the kind of coach no one wants to play for and you're going to argue that O'Sullivan's coaching staff doesn't do any actual coaching or development, at some point you have to grapple with the question of how the program has been as successful as it has been under his eye. When a coach is as objectively successful as Kevin O'Sullivan has been, the burden of proof is very heavily on the person suggesting he's not doing a very good job.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    17 straight games without allowing a triple.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    This kind of coaching is difficult to find.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's the thing to me.....he's been here a dozen years and the style has been the same thru the whole run. And no one can argue the success.
    I don't think anyone is just now noticing anything new, I heard all these same things in the high school/travel circuit 6-8 years ago.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Would anyone disagree that based on its merits , UF is the easiest of the big 3 to recruit at? SEC, most central , public university , top education, etc.. you can’t argue that Sully has gotten the program to where it is by accident . He is an incredibly hard worker and very passionate . That’s to be commended . His media image is not what the players see on a daily . I’m not saying he is a fraud as he does an excellent job with the media and that’s a beacon of our beloved UF. When you are more positive at times and not leading by fear these players will run through walls for him. I think as Sully ages and his kids age he will have more of that . It’s only human and this coaching change may reflect some of that . I really like Sully personally but hope that he does improve on his relationships with the players as this programs future could literally be unreal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Good points—we are talking about life and growing with it—and as has been stated here before—life is hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Is there anything about his "media image" that suggests he's not a hard ass?

But to your point about recruiting, that landscape has changed phenomenally over the last 20 years. We were always behind Miami in terms of success (we still trail the overall series with them), we were always behind SWAC in terms of postseason success and fan support (we still trail the overall series with them...but not the series against Martin!). Miami has a much larger local pool to draw from. The kids don't come to FLORIDA over those other two schools because of our long term history, our fan support, our stadium, and considering the entire state, it's hard to argue that location is objectively better (although, I tend to agree). In terms of education, I'm honestly not familiar with this, but how many high school kids that are drafted come to FLORIDA because they value their degree (although, I will say, it's cool to see guys return to finish up). What is more attractive to a highly skilled young baller, a postcard from Omaha and players getting selected in the top X rounds or a Dr. Fuchs tweet about moving from a top 10 school to a top 5 school? Why do so many players return to workout? When have we ever had such a popular participation in alumni-related events? Like others, not suggesting that anything is perfect, but if you want to remove one single variable and see how things might change the most...remove the head coach (not suggesting that anybody is calling for his head, just indicating the significance of this particular variable ;) ).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I am with you on this. The HS kids aren’t choosing UF for the Mac, the fan support, or 40 regionals in a row. If Sully announces 2020 was his last year, does UF travel the way the SWAC fans have for their regional and Super? I don’t think so.

UF is able to out-recruit the others because Sully can out-recruit them. UF sells well but I don’t know that it sells baseball specifically better than Miami or the SWAC. Sully does though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    Historically, UF was a distant third in the Florida baseball triumvirate. It's only since O'Sullivan took the job that we've been able to out-recruit and beat Miami and FSU.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    We just completed a decade that included 7 CWS appearances and a championship, and you're suggesting here that the program is underachieving.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Should UF recruit well? Sure. But UF has long been behind UM and FSU for whatever reason you might conjure.....and it basically didn't change till Sully.
    As WESGATOR said, his media image that I have always seen is pretty much as a hardass, haven't ever seen any warm and fuzzy representations.
    I do agree he could do some things better....and very much agree that aging and maturity may impact some of his philosophy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Lately, at least to me, Sully persona after games is very good, even in a loss. His first few years, you could tell he was angry and couldn’t tolerate failure very well. The pressure to perform was evident. Now, post-title, I see Sully has evolved.

I’ve enjoyed the ride he has given us. Hoping for more and continued evolution by Sully to become the best he can be.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I listen to nearly every post game and Sully's demeanor was very controlled and made me believe that he understood the short comings of this team and knew it would not be helpful with the kids for him to come out guns blazing. Now what he said in the locker room post game others can chime in but publicly he was very understanding most if not all of the time, disappointed but not demeaning or strident in his comments. To me It was noticeable all year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I think there are a few things to consider. Sully is a winner. Always has been. I am 100% happy with him not being in a great mood, being hard nosed, or whatever it is called. I think this shows our players that while yes we were having a bad year he never took his foot off the gas and let them be ok with losing. If you look when he was interviewed about making the tournament there was not a look on his face that showed, "Hey we are happy just to be here" It was a look of yeah we are in and now we are going to try to do damage. At times this year it would have been easy to throw in the towel, I think the Mizzou series showed that he had willed that team to play hard and sweep that series. Yes, you could say we got great pitching etc and I will not argue that. What I am saying is how many other coaches would essentially throw in the towel and just chalk it up as a bad year and move on. Sully is an absolute grinder. Blue collar, hard worker and that does not resonate with a lot of kids these days. I think you will see the mentally tough players continue to shine under Sully. Others may need to be transformed to think being barked at does not mean the sky is falling. We all have yelled at our own kids and they still know we love them. It is ok to be gruff sometimes but through HS and travel these stars for the most part get put on a pedestal.

That leads to recruiting. Yes Craig is the recruiting coordinator but BW was never out on the circuit recruiting. I am sure this did not sit well. When you are going to Omaha every year it is easy to let winning cure all. It will be interesting to see if the third spot is filled by LD or if Sully brings in another recruiter for that spot. I am sure it would ease the load on CB and give us someone who could go sell our program to some hard nosed kids if they look for someone outside.

As far as development goes it is hard to assess if you are not in the locker room, at the practices and in the meetings. Truly and honestly we simply do not know what is going on behind closed doors. I think there can be a tendency for some coaches to micro manage. Some guys are arrogant and want to say yeah I changed this or that on this kid, so they can put their stamp on a kid. It is a fine line between too much and not enough.

It takes a kid with resolve and make up to play for this staff but there is not a single staff I would take over ours. History shows this correct and in the near future we will be back competing in Omaha.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I agree 23—

There’s a lot of perspective and awareness/knowledge in your post with regards to Sully. I will say this—IMHO Sully is a driven perfectionist—he , I believe, does not expect anything out of his players that he does not expect from himself.

He is not the coach that is going to pat you on the back for making the plays that you are expected to make—if you came to UF with that notion—you came to the wrong place.

From the personal aspect (excluding city league ball) out of my HS, American Legion, JUCO, and D-1—I played for 4 hard ass coaches and one laid back coach. Everything that I learned both that made me better and about the game I learned from the direct hard nosed coaches I played for.

Baseball as we all know is known as a grind—that in itself makes it hard. Be both glad and proud that we have a coach like Sully to run our Florida Gator Baseball program.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  17. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Brian (volunteer assistant) and Chuck both coach down there. Brian of course, part of that fun 2005 run. They played against each other in 2004 at the MAC (no triples hit by either player that weekend).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Chuck Jeroloman - Baseball Coach - USF Athletics

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2