Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brad Weitzel Leaves Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by MadduxFanII, Jun 6, 2019.

1. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Perhaps ,I think Meat might want to go to another school and maybe then comeback. Personally I think it will be Bell or Jarrett.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Thank you kind sir.

3. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    How do you rate sober Bernie in that group ?

4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    never worked with him, the others most I was on a first name basis, at one point I was lobbying the Leg frequently in tandem with the UF team and at other times I was involved with community efforts that included UF brass

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have posted what I truly believe are the candidates. The other candidate outside the ones I posted would not be coming from an SEC school. He would be a huge coup for FSU if they in fact landed him. However, I have a very hard time believing they can afford him. To put it in perspective, they spent at least half the season without much of their AC functioning correctly in their clubhouse. The problem.....money.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Where would Meat go? He had his chance awhile back and didn’t get either job. It’s now or never in my opinion for him. Bell isn’t in the discussion. Jarrett is. As is Grifol and three others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Don’t know—Meat had the opportunity to take a HC job a few years back which would have been more in line to coming back with HC experience and on time for “11’s” departure, but I have no inside information—

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    jd—

I never knew if Meat actually wasn’t offered or turned down either of those jobs—

9. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wasn’t offered.....
    Wake and South Alabama

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    True, but as you know right way and wrong way to do it.

Development is a huge part of the job. Some recruit and develop snd others simply recruit. Some just exoect development.

Some coaching at the college level
    Baffle with their decision making and treatment of kids. Obviously they won’t last a long time but still surprising the people that get hired sometimes.

11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Kids hitting with their first hitting coaches/their dads is very normal. Not many college coaches are great hitting gurus.
    BTW ask Chipper who his best hitting coach was. He’d say his father.

What I said for hitting goes with pitching too.

College coaches often do not develop talent.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post!!
    Agree with you 100%. Could name 5-6 examples right now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BillGator97

BillGator97 Power Wheelchair Bowler VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow, they had trouble getting the AC fixed due to money?! That sounds crazy for a "big-time" baseball/athletic program.

And now they have to pay for a trip to Omaha. Obviously that is a problem they wanted to have, but it is still a good chunk of change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

They actually will not have a ton of expense for Omaha. Most, not all, is covered.

Per Diem. Each member of the official 35-person traveling party will be provided with per diem of $150 per day based on the NCAA formula described in the team expense report guidelines.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...all/d1/2018-19D1MBA_MCWSParticipantManual.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah....definitely right and wrong way to handle. And as much as I like Sully I don't think he will eve be accused of being warm and fuzzy. Would like to see him soften in that regard, but it just may not be in the DNA

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Sully has the Earl Weaver Managing gene not the Walt Alston :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sully is a tough guy to play for and if you aren’t mentally tough, the program can wear you out. But, by the same token, you need mentally tough kids in order to compete for championships. It’s the same way at almost every program. Everyone talks about what a nice guy Mike Martin is and in general, that is correct. But if you are a player at FSU and can’t help the team win, be 100% assured Martin will push you out as quickly as almost any other coach would. It’s college baseball and if you can’t contribute, they will try to find someone else who can.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    It’s not that Sully is so tough and gruff as most kids have played with intensity out of their coaches most of there careers . Sully can be very personal and demeaning to the players and word travels through the travel circuits that if your son stumbles he better be

• Like Like x 1
  19. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No one’s blasting anyone and I am very aware of what goes on in the program. To say there is no instruction is ridiculous. Some kids may resist it because they think someone who has worked with them in the past knows better, but again that happens everywhere from HS to college and even into the pros. Heck, you hear stories all the time of guys in the big leagues that still go back to their father or previous coaches for advice.

Look, is everything perfect at UF? Of course not and nor is it perfect anywhere else. But it is a top program in the country and rest assured Sully will do his best to make sure it stays that way and perhaps it starts with this coaching change.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Haters gonna hate—always have, always will—

People need to realize, “this ain’t All-Stars, and your son ain’t the SS”—

Either support me or take him and leave the program—

Like @wingtee says, sometimes life can be hard.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1