Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brad Weitzel Leaves Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by MadduxFanII, Jun 6, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    No, that that kind of engineer. Driving that train ...

My PhD was in Engineering Mechanics. I was told that we need more good mechanics by someone on my wife's side of the family. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Lots and lots of mechanical engineering went into the train’s design.

Plus, old steam engines, one had to know the Carnot cycle! That’s still taught in thermo, right?

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Now that’s some classic @wingtee right there folks if I’ve ever read any—any time, anywhere—

4. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would be totally shocked if it’s Jeff. There are six serious candidates. One is a surprise outside of the FSU family. However I would be shocked if he left his current place and contract. No way FSU can afford to pay their head coach $1M per year. While I don’t believe Meat is the top candidate in the minds of the committee, IF FSU gets to the World Series, I can see Thrasher stepping in and searing it to Meat based on the performance they have put together this season along with 11’s overall accomplishments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    had lunch in Tally yesterday with a group that included several baseball donors, paraphrasing: they said the net was wide but they were not expecting #11 light to be in the finalist and would not be happy if he was in the real final group at all

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    While I completely agree with this assessment along with something else I know, this could come down to Thrasher OVERRIDING the committee.
    There is one candidate they really like, but as I mentioned, I don’t think they could come anywhere close to his salary requirement.

4 of finalists have FSU ties
    One is the coach at Chipola
    6th candidate is a Head Coach somewhere else

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    thanks for the insight, I don't know Thrasher, he came along after I had moved on from walking the Halls during sessions it will be interesting to observe the fall out if he crosses up the Chiefs :)

8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Apparently in the 20s or 30s someone gave Yale a big endowment for a Chair in railway engineering. Since it’s a rather obsolete specialty now, they can’t find anyone to fill it, nor is there any student demand. The $ is sitting there collecting interest and the donor’s family can’t or won’t change the gift agreement.

9. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Junior

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages

Thrasher is a politician, not a President. He is well versed in counting the votes and his count more than the others.

10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    My experience tells me that successful University Presidents are politicians, politicians who understand their mission is to serve their university or college, I worked with UF presidents from Steve O'Connell on until 1990, the best were good at politics and understood where the lines were drawn, one of my favorites was John Lombardi, he was out when he decided principle was more important than politics, it was what made him my favorite, in my opinion Criser was by far the most successful and Marston probably the best at raising money. Bob Bryan should have been UF Pres as he was much like Lombardi in his wit and depth but never made the jump from interim or #2 at UF. He, Lombardi & Criser were the 3 brightest but all were top notch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Junior

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages
    M

Most of them have better credentials than M.D. or Junior College President to go with their Speaker of the House, Senate President cred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I certainly would agree that "show up and perform" is the reality at UF, and it can be harsh and rude awakening for kids. But it is also the reality just about everywhere else too. Limited ships and pressure to win make that the rule rather than the exception.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As far as kids leaving the program, it happens everywhere in DI Baseball my friend. The University of Tampa recently one another DII championship this past week and their starting lineup included five DI transfers, including their ace pitcher (Kevin Pimentel) who came from Miami and started two games at the CWS. Overall, Tampa had 12 kids (none from UF by the way) on this year’s roster who “showed up but didn’t perform” at DI schools (to quote you) and then transferred into their program. You can argue whether or not multiple transfers are a “nasty wart” but again, they happen every year at most every top DI program.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Agreed to some extent, but there are tremendous hitting and pitching coaches at the collegiate level that will work with kids. There is also an increasingly public recognition in the travelball recruiting arena that there is very limited coaching/development that goes on at UF. There are numerous (down-low) stories of high profile/drafted players running back home or sneaking away with fathers, travel ball coaches and hitting/pitching coaches to area cages and hitting facilities to work out because they get no help from the staff.

Its remarkable and hard to believe. I've seen posters make similar comments on threads here before, only to be blasted and berated by fans who don't want to hear anything could possibly be amiss with their beloved program. But, they don't know what they don't know.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would argue that is the rule rather than the exception. Probably the most shocking thing to me as the kids I knew/worked with migrated to college, was that there was little to no coaching....anywhere. It's almost as if the assumption is that you are supposed to be a complete player on arrival. Travel coaches, high school coaches, dads....they do a ton of work with kids when they come back for summer and over winter break. UF is not an exception in this regard.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As we have discussed many times...the Sunshine Conference is filled with SEC, ACC, FSU, Miami and in state D1 transfers. Every roster in the league will have a half dozen or more

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Sure, transferring is absolutely normal, friend, for lots of reasons.
    Does this seem "normal"?

2016 class - Our would be Junior 2019 leaders.
    Andrew Barker - Gone
    Keenan Bell - Gone
    Austin Langworthy - Drafted 10th rd in HS, undrafted this year
    Nick Long - Gone
    Garrett Milchin - 2 TJs
    Tyler Dyson - Injured
    Kirby McMullen - Small contributor
    Billy McKay - Gone
    Cameron Wienberger - Gone
    Cole Maye - Gone

Transfers were not the warts of which I spoke.

18. charlestong8r

charlestong8r Premium Member

Dec 8, 2010
    It would matter because I told the person who told me that I wouldn't name them.

I brought it up to see if others have heard of other candidates. If no one's heard anything (and just because no one's heard anything doesn't make the following part true), the candidate I KNOW they've reached out to might be the first and only one. I hope he says yes but he's currently on a successful SEC staff and the same position on this team would be lateral at best.

19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Interesting choice of year.

Out of that list, have any contributed anywhere else? Maybe a couple have and I don’t know about it but it is also possible that class simply wasn’t good.

Lang is interesting. He hasn’t improved over his 3 years. But then others did like India and Bader.

I find the discussion on this quite interesting because I am not in the know but there are lots of data points on both sides. UF develops well and UF doesn’t. No idea which one is real.

In the case of 2016, by and large the guys didn’t go elsewhere and light it up as far as I know but I don’t follow smaller schools like some on here do. A MacGregor Hines who did well at DBU would be a case of a guy that perhaps the staff ran off too early? Maybe he just matured a bit later? Maybe he got better coaching? No idea.

20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The 2016 group was not normal simply because it was full of guys who didn’t work out and Sully hasn’t had too many classes like that. There were at least two others, Nate Brown and Austin Bodrato, from that class who moved on also. But two things... first, outside a couple of guys, there wasn’t much money invested in that group and several were walk-ons. Second, and while the book is still open, none of those guys have done much since moving on. It was simply a bad recruiting class and when you add in the injuries to the ‘16 signees still on the roster, you are correct in that it was a major reason why this year’s team struggled.

But just to compare, seven players from FSU’s 2016 class are not on their roster this season. Again, yearly multiple transfers are the norm in college baseball.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1