Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Brad Stevens receives ZERO votes for Coach of the Year...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, May 9, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Brad Stevens didn't receive a single vote for the NBCA Coach of the Year award

Another reason why these awards mean nothing. The guy lost 2 All-Stars for the majority of the season and still got the #2 seed and is 1 game away from the Conference Finals.

How did some of these guys get votes? Must have voted from themself:

The eight head coaches to receive votes were Philadelphia’s Brett Brown, Toronto’s Dwane Casey, Houston’s Mike D’Antoni, Indiana’s Nate McMillan, San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich, Utah’s Quin Snyder, Portland’s Terry Stotts, and Doc Rivers of the Los Angeles Clippers.

“There’s no way in hell I would have voted for me, I would have picked ten people in front of me and felt bad I had to pick just one. We're all just fortunate to be one of thirty."

That is probably a little too much, but he should have received some recognition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Alvin Gentry was also a noticeable snub. Stevens was clearly the best coach this year but Gentry was almost equally impressive. I'd be curious to see who voted for Doc Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    And we see why 6-8 of those voting won’t be on the sidelines next year

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

This is insane. Stevens may be the best basketball coach on earth at any level right now. Seriously.
    Butler and now this run without two stars? C'mon.

And what the heck did Doc Rivers do this season?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Let's not get carried away. That distinction probably belongs to Pop at the moment. He's the current Phil Jax.

6. tilly

I would have agreed until this past month. I don't know if Pop gets this from this team.
    I am a huge Pop fan though, so I will rephrase and say best coach under 50.

7. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    All such popularity contests are nothing more than popularity contests, and provide little meaningful information.

8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass

Not saying you aren't correct in your point, buy Kyrie was injured mid March. He played most of the season and was phenomenal. Horford was an All Star and Tatum has been great. It's not like Stevens was playing with nothing all year.

Stevens was indeed great this year but the truly impressive part has been in the playoffs.

Doc Rivers getting one vote is worse than Stevens getting zero

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. tilly

This. He was overrated in Orlando, Boston and LAC. He has a ring because Boston bought him a big 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I hear ya. They did win 12 of their first 16 without him. He certainly has talent on the team. I would argue that it isn't as much talent as other coaches have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Stevens did a terrific job, but you really can't go wrong with anyone on that list. You must really think these coaches are stupid if you don't believe they can tell how good the coach on the other end of the baseline is.

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, like Stevens said, each person gets one vote, and all 30 options are the best in their craft.

That said, Stevens is looking great right now. Looking forward to the next round against LeBron.

13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Doc Rivers has no place on that list

14. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Most NBA coaches are a fraternity of guys that are about the same age, many of them played in the league at the same time, and have gone through the ranks the same way.

Brad Stevens is much younger and took a different route coming right from college.

He instantly was way better than the old guard.

...My suspicion is that the old boy's club of coaches doesn't love him. Not that I think they hate him or anything, but I feel like when it comes to them voting on a coaching award they lean towards the seasoned vet and are still waiting for Stevens to earn his due or something. Anyone who watches NBA basketball know Stevens was a top coach 3 this year, no question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tilly

Casey just got fired in Toronto BTW.

16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Agreed. Plus the media swung from Steven's nuts all season, especially of late. That may have rubbed folks the wrong way, too.

I'm a huge BS fan, but that team was, and still is, in fact really good. Yes, they lost GH, but no one was expecting Tatum (nor Brown?) to be this good this quick. Not much drop off there. Losing KI late in the year hurt, but damn - Scary Terry is legit. Certainly a drop off, but it's not like they rolled a scrub out to replace. Rozier would be the starting PG for a lot of teams.

Next year will be interesting for them. Too few minutes to spread around. The best thing for the Celtics is their scoring droughts (which plagued them this year - sound familiar NBN?) should be a thing of the past with Rozier and Brown coming off the bench. :eek:

Unfortunately, the way LBJ is playing, they'll be lucky to push a game 6.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Did anyone catch Al's comment after the overtime win against the 76'ers last Saturday? Gave all the credit to Coach Stevens for drawing up the play that got Al the ball under the basket for the last second shot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Saw that. Kind of crazy, must be some back story there.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Disagree completely. Pop had his time. Stevens is by far the best. And when I say Pop had his time I mean he's not the coach he once was. Still good but not like Stevens this year.

20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Um, Al averaged 12.9 during The regular season and due to Stevens adjustments is averaging almost 19 points a game in the playoffs.