Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bracketology Jerry Palm 3/10

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    The only worries I have are someone winning the mountain west other than Nevada. Same with the Atlantic 10 and VCU. Last but not least would be Oregon or Colorado winning the pac 12. If the favorites win those 3 tourneys we should avoid the bid stealing and be in without beating LSU. If we lose, those are the 3 tourneys to pay close attention to.

I guess it's possible Bama or usce could run the table, just doesn't seem likely to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Beat LSU today: remove all doubt.
    Lose today: sweat a bit during the selection show...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    St John's has been safely in for some time now and I don't get it at all. They did beat Marquette twice but lost yesterday by 30. They remind me of Indiana, hot start, then conference play killed them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People are focusing far too much in the net, it’s just one tool that the committee will use. Back when they used RPI there were teams with top 30 RPI who didn’t get in. One team didn’t get in with a top 20 rpi.
    It’s the whole picture, and ours is decidedly mixed.

6. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 Premium Member

That's a pretty impressive track record

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Magically, palm has us last 4 in this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Yes,...but RPI was such a bogus and flawed metric. I think committee members were quick to reference other metrics like Sagarin and Pomeroy. NET seems to be a better amalgamation of them all. And since it is “their’s”, they might be inclined to reference it more or rely on it more. But:agree. It is just one tool.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    And Bama is in it too. The same Bama with 3-4 horrible losses. Smh, he makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015
    407king;

And with a better seed than us (11 vs 12). A team we beat during the regular season at their place. Me thinks Mr. Palm has a "hard on" about our Florida Gators..........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    They lost to Georgia State and Northeastern. And got swept by A&M. Like wth?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    And, they only had 4 games against UK, UT & LSU compared to our 6, although they did go 2-2 in those 4 games. They beat UK in their SEC opener; what a benefit to play Cal's teams earlier in the season when Cal is hoping they're not playing too well yet :rolleyes:

And they split their 2 games with LSU.

A lot of the conversation in this thread reinforces my opinion that we can shoot ourselves in the foot with overly difficult schedules; and may have done so this season. The metrics indicate that we're easily a Tourney-level team, but our raw record (which isn't that bad when taking into account who we played) appears to clearly be hurting us compared to some teams whose results (when viewed in detail) are far from impressive, but include some "record padding" with wins against powder-puff opponents.

I'd like to see us try to line up OOC schedules that are closer to a 50/50 mix of tough and easy games. That would still give us tougher schedules than most, but would give us a slightly "prettier" win/loss record at season's end (assuming of course that we'd take care of business against the powder-puffs :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I have to think next season’s thanksgiving tourney won’t be so tough....but actually this year’s Bahamas wasn’t either: we just didn’t play well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BuckyGator

BuckyGator Junior

Sep 9, 2007
    The record/schedule cuts both ways though... all those Quad 1/2 games - many of which were actually SEC conf games - are why UF is in relatively good position despite the mediocre W/L record. In general I feel like the tourney committee *usually* tries to reward harder schedules over gaudy records racked up against an easy schedule. Although I'm not sure 'Bama is the right comparison here - the metrics actually favor them in terms of strength of non-conference schedule.

Gators profile is certainly hurt by not having actually won any of their biggest, Quad 1 non-conference games, but I think the biggest negative is easily the home losses to USC and UGa. Those were really bad, Quad 3 losses per the NET rankings - far worse than 'Bamas loss to Northeastern for example - and with wins there, UF is far above the bubble.

Regardless, will be interesting to see how the new NET ranking system plays out in the selections - I'm sure it won't be the sole factor by any means, but the more weight it gets the better when it comes to Gators' position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    VCU losing to Rhode Island.. That's not good for the bubble

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

Congrats Gators. That was a wonderful ball game. LSU ran out of luck; however, those last two threes by Ried were gutzy.

Florida is firmly in the NCAA; however, they have really increased their seed by beating LSU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. cmail000

cmail000 Freshman

Nov 25, 2008
    Shut this thread down because we are in baby

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    Lets Dance!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "They beat the SEC Champions 2 out of 3 times with both wins coming away from home!"

That's a nice argument that will be made on our behalf now instead of "yeah, but only 18 wins"

Let's win two more and make the argument just about seeding.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 All American

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    You think we just moved past the first round "play in" game?

• Agree Agree x 1