Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Bracketology 2/11

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by djohnston, Feb 11, 2020.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Sounds like he had a big game against Duke. But, I've heard on here (I haven't independently verified it, but no one has disputed it that I've seen) that his points and rebounds averages this year are pretty close to what he averaged last season. And, that is despite Blackshear getting into foul trouble* a lot more this year according to White. So, it seems like we're getting the same production in fewer minutes** than he got last season when he became the hot transfer commodity. That doesn't seem to indicate we're not using him correctly in comparison to how he was used at VTech.

* - usually due to some phantom fouls if you ask me

** - fewer minutes is an assumption due to the foul trouble; perhaps he sat out a lot last season in games that weren't competitive or some other reason

2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What was KB’s 3-point shooting last year at va tech vs this year at UF? Seems like he is away from the basket a lot. More pick and pops vs pick and rolls, I’m guessing, right?

that may be what is different in how he is being utilized.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    He's taking 1 more three a game this year and shooting a tad worse 33% to 31%.

He's getting to the FT line much more this year, taking 1.5 more FT attempts per game despite the reduction in minutes. Interesting numbers to look at.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Gators are right in that bubble territory. Kenpom has us at #38, realtime rpi at #41, Real GM at #41, and CBS at #41. Not sure what the Selection Committee uses. I've heard in the past that you really don't want to be outside the top 48 or so if you're an at-large. Anyone know where we were heading into selection day last year?
    Arkansas is right there with us, by the way. Tomorrow's game is a big one for both teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Heard some predicting only 4 or 5 SEC teams may get in this year. Auburn, Kentucky, LSU and then several teams fighting for the last spot or two. TN, South Carolina, UF, Miss/MSU, Arkansas. Who do you think is selected? The good news is that UF can knock out Arkansas and TN by beating them in upcoming games. The bad news is that these teams can jump us with wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I think it will be UF and probably MSU. Either MSU or USCjr will get that last spot, imo.

UT's loss at USCjr was big and they still have 2 games left with Auburn and a game with UF and UK. At 6-6 they probably need to win 4 of their last 6 conference games and that's going to be really tough.

I think Arky is done if we beat them, they would need a huge turnaround. Would be 4-9 in conference. But they do have a favorable final 5 games, only tourney team is LSU and that's at home.

USCjr is hot right now, they need to get at least 3-4 more conference wins. Those Stetson and Boston U losses are killer. USCjr plays MSU 2x, LSU at home and at Bama. They may need 2 of those 4. Won't be easy for them.

MSU doesn't play a team projected in the field the rest of the regular season. They could easily finish 5-1 down the stretch. Favorable schedule for them, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Think Alabama might be in that 2nd tier SEC mix as well since there Net Ranking is up to 36.

Net Rankings as of today for SEC teams:
    Kentucky - 24
    Auburn - 25
    LSU - 29
    Florida - 35
    Alabama - 36
    Arkansas - 48
    Miss St. - 53
    Tenn - 62
    USCe - 64
    Miss - 81
    Missouri - 88
    Georgia - 100
    Texas A&M - 134
    Vandy - 148

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Don't forget the SEC Tournament March 11-15 will give teams an opportunity to improve - or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. lawgator1

lawgator1 Sophomore

Nov 13, 2018
    I find the bracketmatrix to be a useful guide because it represents a consensus of a lot of different resources, not just Lunardi or any other single bracket.

The Bracket Project's Bracket Matrix - 2020

This latest version is comprised of 78 brackets. The Gators are in each of those brackets, and the consensus is that we are the top team at the 10 line. Interestingly, USC is the bottom # 9 team, but appears in only 73 brackets. And if you look at it as a snapshot, we are the only team in the 9-10 seed area that is in all 78 brackets. We are as high as an 8 in a couple, and 12th in at least two that I see.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    It is very simple: win and you are in. It doesn't matter what the other teams do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. lawgator1

lawgator1 Sophomore

Nov 13, 2018
    Our remaining games are Arky, Ky, LSU, UT, UGA, and Ky.

If we can go 3-3 with that schedule and win one in the SEC tournament that gets us to 20 wins, and a winning SEC regular season record. Usually that's good enough.

If we only win 2 of the last 6, however, and lose in the SEC first game, that's an 18-14 record, and we limp into the NIT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

...and if we go 6-0 we are winning a natty!:ninja3:

16. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I love my wildcats but y'all assuming that game in Rupp isn't winnable haven't watched many UK home games this year (which would be understandable given that you're not Kentucky fans). Besides the obvious, Evansville, UK has had a number of games in question in the final minutes at home - sometimes seems like more often than not this is the case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I think it's winnable, but not really probable based on history and Rupp being a tough place to play. If the Gators pull out a win there it would a good resume builder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Per the site linked below, USCjr has 3 Quad 1 wins, as do we (currently).

The rest of the SEC contenders below us have 2, except Ole Miss, who has 1.

So, I'm not sure how important it is, but does MSU's easy finishing schedule possibly hurt them with no chance for any more Quad 1 wins?

Team Quadrant Wins and Losses Tracker

19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    if you look at the 3 objective matrices:

Net - 35 (9 seed)
    RPI - 41 (11 seed)
    Elo - 28 (7 seed)

Bracket matrix has us as the highest seeded 10 right now, I think we are more like a 9 today. Some of those bracketology sites on BM haven’t been updated in a few days.
    Of course things are so fluid that a couple of wins or losses could move us up to 7 or out of the field.

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Plain and simple we need to finish strong.

• Agree Agree x 3