Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Jul 6, 2022.

1. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    His prime ministership has got to be most spectacular series of own goals in modern history.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Do they not have combs or brushes in England?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

You have no idea how this made me feel. My work here is done.

It's part of Boris' 'bumbling appeal'. It's all an act though - there's plenty of interview evidence that explains how he does it. The fact it sits in broad daylight and people let him get away with it is still amazing.

What you may or may not know about Boris - on the eve of Brexit, he had (and this is well documented) written two articles about the EU situation. One for staying, one for leaving. He decided that it was in his best interests to publish the one about leaving and the rest is history. Several senior members of his cabinet also were resolute about staying at the time. It's only in serving their own ambitions they cow-towed to frothing Johnny Public.

I saw an article this week saying now that every region of the UK has a majority saying they think leaving the EU was a mistake. Sadly, Russian money and influence led to this and by heck did it work.

The next group of his party are already lining up with their bids to take over and 'restoring trust'. etc etc puke puke puke. It's like letting a bull run riot through a china shop for 10 years, the last 3 of which have been by far the most blatant and intentionally smashy, and then going "Ah, yeah, you probably won't let us bring the bull in the shop again. I PWOMISE I'll behave now." And sadly, there's no end of gullible numpties who will buy it because that's what at least 3 of the big national paper networks will tell them to do. BAAAAAAAAH!

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Something so familiar about this description.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t read German, but this feels like a big deal, and a story I was not previously familiar with

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yep. Hat's off to the Brits for learning from their mistakes. Wish more Americans would.

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    More. Very Trump like

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

BJDS. ;)

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Thanks. Didn't know that Russain $$ pushed for Brexit but it makes sense as a way to divide the EU and provide oligarchs a safe haven for their $$ in Britain. For all their moral superiority, it seems that Britain sold out to the oligarchs a long time ago and became addicted to that Russian $$.

good read here on the russian money in the british banking system but I am skeptical that it is all being flushed out. behind firewall

The rise and fall of Londongrad | The Economist

different article here about Russian $$ influence not behind firewall. think I will make time to watch this documentary. Seems like Putin is a wise investor if hew as nearly able to topple two of the worlds largest powers without ever firing a shot. Infiltrate, divide, and hope your guy can do enough damage before voted out...I didn't know about the volume of killings of russian oppositions that were all declared suicides

Once Upon a Time in Londongrad review – a blazing fireball that could topple our democracy | Television & radio | The Guardian

Ah, so it’s a documentary about why Young died, and Berezovsky is the answer? Sort of. Berezovsky kills himself at his Surrey home in 2013, sustaining a broken rib and head wound in the process. Then, at about the halfway point in Once Upon a Time in Londongrad, the real story hits. BuzzFeed identifies not one, not two, but 14 deaths on British soil between 2003 and 2016 of individuals who might have angered the Putin regime. Two fall in front of tube trains; one dies in a helicopter crash. A man in his 40s collapses while jogging. Another stabs himself many times using two knives. In 2010, the MI6 analyst Gareth Williams is found crammed into a holdall that is zipped, padlocked and placed in the bath in his Pimlico flat.

In every case, the official verdict is suicide or natural causes and, in statements given to the programme-makers by police and the British government, it is reiterated that no direct proof of Russian involvement has been found. Yet BuzzFeed repeatedly uncovers instances of missing, lost or withheld evidence, or basic inquiries apparently not carried out. If such things are incompetence or coincidence, they’re incompetence or coincidence that always happens to point towards there being nothing to see. You do not need a paranoid mindset to feel like Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, powerlessly observing a shady, malign system at work.

It’s only at the very end of the series that Once Upon a Time in Londongrad explicitly discusses the core problem: that allowing London to become a murky reservoir of Russian money is likely to involve a reluctance to act on any unseemly fallout, and that this weakness of governance seriously threatens both the rule of law and our democratic integrity.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    google will translate for you..from the article

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has come under fire for an unaccompanied meeting with oligarch and former KGB employee Alexander Lebedev. The conversation took place in April 2018, when Johnson was foreign minister. The British opposition on Sunday called on the government to investigate. Johnson had admitted the meeting on Wednesday for the first time, saying there were no government officials present. The talks took place shortly after a NATO meeting at which the alliance discussed how to deal with Russia.

Nevertheless, the opposition is outraged. "The fact that this meeting took place at this time shows a reckless disregard for national security risks," Labour politician Yvette Cooper told Sky News. She called it "inconceivable" for a foreign minister to meet an ex-KGB agent who is also known for his ties to Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin. However, the incident fits in with Johnson's behavior with lies, violations of the law and alleged abuse of office.

Johnson and his Conservative Party have long been criticized for close ties to the Lebedev family and other wealthy Russian citizens, many of whom are major donors to the Tories. Lebedev's son Yevgeny, who owns the London Evening Standard newspaper and holds shares in the Independent newspaper, was appointed a member of the British House of Lords in 2020 at Johnson's suggestion. In the House of Lords, he is appointed Baron of Hampton in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and Siberia in the Russian Federation. The appointment is currently being reviewed by a parliamentary committee.

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. I find that very troubling. I’m always hesitant to comment on another nations politics because I don’t know the norms that govern that office very well. But just in terms of the Western alliance, I find it immensely troubling that he would do so without other British officials present. I can think of no good explanation for doing it that way. At a minimum, it makes the Russian side of the conversation the only so-called record.

• Agree Agree x 1