Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Jul 6, 2022.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Surprised this has not gotten more mention here (at least that I have seen). Though always hard to handicap foreign political system, it really looks like he may not survive.

Things have gotten really serious, given the latest resignation (this is tongue in cheek, though the larger issue is real)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yeah, they are leaving his administration in droves. Calling on @LimeyGator to ‘splain it to the colonists.

• Like Like x 2
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Brexit backfired terribly and he's been caught up in a bunch of scandals. His administration is trying to save their future political careers by distancing.

4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And someone needs to give him a comb

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I watch the BBC. Boris Johnson is in really deep excrement. He's being abandoned by members of his own party including several cabinet ministers. Although he recently survived a vote of confidence another one is not beyond the realm of possibility and it's unlikely that he will survive a second time around.
    Boris Johnson could face new confidence vote within days

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    So they need a palate cleanser too

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Sounds like after Brexit, total incompetence, and the litany of personal and political scandals, what will finally do him in is failing to handle allegations of somebody else’s sexual harassment… more specifically homosexual sexual harassment. You can’t make that ish up.

Still, I came to appreciate this guy as British PM. Trump made him seem entirely sane. Troubled, but sane.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know Brexit is unpopular now I Britain, but I thought most of this arose out of the partying while the rest of the public was locked down for Covid I know very little about it.

One of my personal axioms is that one should never attempt to applying authoritatively about any other jurisdictions political structure. I have a hard enough time feeling like I know what's going on in my own town, where I've been my whole life and participated a lot. I would never hope to try to give an authoritative opinion about politics elsewhere. But that's at least what I have read.

9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't Johnson get seriously sick with Covid?

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. Very. Rumored for a while that it might take him. He was hospitalized

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I think the thing that really killed him is his apparent numerous parties going on in the middle of Covid lockdowns. Unlike Trump Johnson at times tried to advocate for responsible Covid policies even lockdowns, but all the while him and his buddies where Whooping it up at 1 Downing Street. Think of the crap Newsome took for his one unmasked dinner event. Johnson apparently did this frequently.

I don’t know what the overall opinion is in UK on Brexit. I imagine it is still pretty mixed like it was originally.

12. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    He's been circling the drain for a while now. The "partygate" already caused a lot of discontent. He did survive the recent confidence vote but by a shockingly small margin. It wasn't that tight if you just looked at the numbers, but compared to expectations the results were terrible. He was already teetering on the edge after that. The latest scandal came out when he appointed a well-known sexual-harasser in Pincher to a high position, and of course he promptly groped some people in public after getting drunk. The number of ministers to have resigned is over 50 now, I think he's gonna resign before his party changes the rules and calls for another confidence vote.

13. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
  14. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC

15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    “Brexit not going smoothly” strikes again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

:) Guy is a numpty, driven by personal interest and a disdain for the truth. British electorate have had enough of his excuse making. He surrounded himself with so many sycophants that nobody was qualified to do their jobs properly. Eventually (and I cannot stress that with enough sarcasm - it's taken scandal after embarrassment after chaos after disaster after breaking his own laws on Brexit and lying to the Queen for them to even admit he might be a problem...) they realised how toxic his name is and have jettisoned him. I have contempt for anyone not calling out his rubbish since the beginning - this has only been done out of self-preservation, not some sort of moral awakening. Only problem is that when you spend ages putting a Teflon wall around you, you can't see anything sticking and Boris still thinks he's been hard done by. No apologies, regret or anything in his departure speech - just typical, bumbling, dead-cat waving trollop about Darwinian politics. He still doesn't get it. Heck, he now thinks he can hang around until September/October time...

It's an end to one embarrassment. Sadly there will be a queue of charlatans waiting behind him to have their shot at self-aggrandisement over public service. The right thing to do would be to call a general election and see what, if any, mandate exists for his party after years or horrendous governing, but everyone knows they'd lose, so they won't. So much for the will of the people!

It's a poop show. It won't be getting any better just because this guy is leaving.

This was one of many, but yes, it got the most public backs up that would have otherwise have voted Conservative. He lied repeatedly about it, got found out, lied again, more evidence came out, and then with his trousers firmly round his ankles said he was sorry but now wanted to get on with Governing the country. All platitudes. All self-preservation. See through. Teflon Boris, where nothing sticks. Dead-cats wielding in Ukraine and off he goes again! Nobody ever holds him to account - he just waits for it to die down and carries on. Can't blame him - if there's nobody going to stand up to you, of course you'll do whatever you like. It's a broken system, for sure. No accountability.

Who knows. People who voted leave still stick rigidly to their viewpoints even though our economy has basically tumbled. The evidence has been overwhelming about what a disaster it has been, but it's easy just to shout "sovereignty!" and run away. No point - head in the sand, types. It was the same at the time of the vote. It has led to partisan politics in this nation and probably gave Boris his platform, ironically. It is what it is though. I'm politically homeless - they're all self-serving. Wouldn't it be a delight to have people interested in public service, who told truths and fought elections on the basis of policies they actually ended up enacting? Pipe dreams I know.

Priti Patel, Michael Gove or Liz Truss likely to replace him I suspect. GOD help us all.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Interesting, at least in the Uk, like a cat, was able to cough up like a fur ball their lying narcissistic demagogue. We here in the US don’t seem to be able to do that with Trump.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Thats nice Limey, but enough about American politics. What juicy stuff to you have about your side of the pond?

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Thank you Limey! I always considerd Boris to be a "Trump Lite".

I do admire his women, port and cuban cigars parties though!
    Guy knows how to bust Covid regulations with the best of em.

I bet Profumo ain't got nothing on Boris - Just wait until the "swinger-party" pictures from Downing Street are released!

Hey - At least Boris could "get it up"! Trump - not so much......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From Andy Borowitz Boris 1.PNG

• Funny Funny x 6