Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Boomers who believe facing discomfort has a significant benefit may be right.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Apr 10, 2024.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I've done this many times in my life. You learn to persevere and keep going---

People admit the one thing that Boomers really got right and some folks are uncomfortable
    An overarching Baby Boomer stereotype is that they have a problem with the younger generations, especially Millennials because they were coddled growing up and lack the determination to do hard things.
    Many believe that when helicopter parents shelter kids from discomfort, they never develop the emotional resilience that it takes to succeed on their own.
    Some may even attribute this to the increase in mental illness.

This is actual science. You literally build pathways in the brain by doing hard things, pathways that make it easier to repeat doing hard things. By quitting, fleeing, avoiding hard stuff you make it less likely you’ll succeed next time. This is actual brain science.
    — Tom (@mulltf) March 20, 2024

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    I believe kids learn a great deal from parents as regards how to face life’s challenges. IMO, many kids who struggle with these challenges learned to struggle from their parents.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This might make sense if boomers weren’t actually the biggest Uber entitled snowflakes in current society. Alas…

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Bingo. The Greatest generation coddled and let Boomers run wild (ex woodstock). Millennials and Gen Z are the result of lack of parenting, not bad parenting. Boomers continue the gift to the younger generations by not providing childcare to their grandchildren, causing Millennials and older Gen Z to pay for daycare, adding to their already heavy financial burden.

Boomers are the most entitled, spoiled, self-centered generation in human history. The generation that gave us Bill Clinton, GWB, and Trump... Real outstanding people...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You’re on thin ice there, bud

:):):)

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You just made the list, too:cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Damn, must have been so hard growing up during a time of unprecedented prosperity when college cost like $2 a semester and you could immediately become CEO of a bank just by completing a year of college and dropping out. We younger generations have it so easy, knowing your $50,000 college degree will earn you minimum wage at the Gap. Shear entitlement on our part. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Now, that’s funny!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't like to generalize, but I will say we Americans give lip service to "family values".

As for the topic, there is no doubt that struggling with and overcoming adversity builds character.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You left out Ronald Reagan.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Ronald Reagan wasn't a boomer, though he does suck

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Okay, so this is one of those threads where young people have it so easy in the world, not one of those threads where older people pretend to be very concerned about housing prices, education prices, etc. paid by younger people in order to advance their narratives on inflation.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

The brain science is right.

But can we stop saying it's Boomers who have this all encompassing knowledge?
    I know it. I'm in my 40s. I've worked with kids a quarter of my age who know - and live it daily - too.

The issue isn't the science. It's the claiming of it like some sort of trophy...

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Says the man who thinks that inflation is a narrative, not a problem.

FYI, inflation hurts the oldest and the the youngest the most. The oldest who are on fixed income and savings aren’t going to get raises and worry about exhausting their savings too early. The younger folks will get raises over time but that doesn’t do them a damn bit of good right now when they are trying to buy a starter home that is 25-30% higher than it was 3-4 years ago, and they have $10K-$15K less to put down because they’ve been spending more on food, rent, repairs and damn near anything they enjoy doing for entertainment.

Please go peddle your divisive comments elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Resilience is a thing, regardless of age.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Reagan was a member of the "Greatest Generation" but then so was Richard Nixon as were most of his accomplices like Haldeman, Mitchell and Erlichman.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Your proposed cures for inflation are even more painful to the same set of people

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Oh yes, your comments are really about bringing people together. So you are now saying that young people have faced discomfort? Take it up with the OP. You two seem to be arguing entirely different things. I'm just pointing it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I have no desire to bring people like you together into anything. You are a lost cause. Inflation has been hammering older, younger, and lower middle class people for four years now and you and your elitist ilk deny it as a problem because your doing fine telecommuting to your job and haven’t felt the pain.

I have not really felt a pain either, but I know that my children have. Their friends have. I hear from employees on a daily basis of their struggles. The difference is that I don’t claim it’s only a political narrative because it hasn’t hurt me much.

I thought you libs were supposed to be caring and compassionate? You’ve been claiming that while demonizing conservatives for 40 years. I think people are starting to realize that that was all a narrative as well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Haha, wow. A lot to unpack there. Let's start with the factual inaccuracies:

1. I don't telecommute to my job.
    2. I bought a house less than a year ago.
    3. I am a millennial!

So now that we know some basic facts about me, perhaps you would like to revise your rants?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1