Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Books you've read and liked

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by solari, Apr 2, 2018.

1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I just read and am meeting in a couple of hours the author of The Devil in the Grove. I am rethinking my thoughts on racism and policing based on this work of nonfiction. I at the very least will never think of the 50s and 60s as the good old days. Evil was running wild in Florida at the time and it often carried a badge.

Forgot the author Gilbert King.

2. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I think I've read almost everything that Brandon Sanderson has written by this point.

Ironically, when I first read his contributions to the Wheel of Time series after the creator and author, Robert Jordan, passed away, I was very unimpressed with Sanderson. He's now my favorite fantasy/sci-fi writer. He does an exceptional job at creating fantastic stories that buck all the standard tropes of the genres. If you like fantasy or science fiction, you won't find much better, IMO. His Reckoners series (1st book titled Steelheart), is a fascinating take on superheroes, i.e. what would the world be like if it was full of people with amazing abilities, but who all chose to use their power for selfish reasons.

I haven't checked out Rothfuss, yet, but I've seen his name and books before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I can assure anyone that doubts the veracity of the accounts in the books that their doubts are unfounded, I grew up in South Lake County in the late 50's & 60's, Sheriff McCall was the law, and his exploits were legion. Suffice it to say there are enough incidents under his reign to fill a small library.

4. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    He was such a scumbag that Kings 2nd book is about him. So perhaps King is going to fill the library himself.

5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    there is more than enough material

6. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    It would be easier to take if after his douchebaggery(sp?) was revealed he didnt keep getting reelected. It wasnt a secret, that he killed black people when it was expedient. He framed a white retarded boy for a rape that a black man did because the woman was virtuous and would have been humiliated if it was known that she had been violated by a black man.

The people of Lake County had to know it and kept electing him anyway.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Big fan of Carl Hiaasen as well. Doesn't hurt that he is a Gator.

Not huge into reading, but I finished this book pretty quickly. It's hilarious.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    You should get residuals. I'm going to pick up a copy because of your reaction to and review of it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    I met the author last night. He was a yankee but not a bad guy. I will now honestly critique the book. It starts off trying to make Thurman Marshall a superhero. It is weakest in that attempt. Marshall's treatment of his wife was not good. That bugged me for a bit but get past that and you just keep saying no one can get away with this crap and then they do something worse and get away with that crap too.

10. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I found the book so horrific I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. I went to a seminar last summer at UCF and another teacher there was from Lake County and had had McCall’s great grandson in his class.

The part about grove owners in general made me look at our stadium’s name a bit differently although one can’t look at that time period with strict 2018 sensibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    I think I am an optimist. My optimism and unfounded belief that good overcomes bad in time kept me going. I kept thinking somebody was going to bring these jerks to justice but it never happened. The victories were black men who did nothing wrong not being executed.

12. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    A Land Remembered is my current book. Patrick Smith’s historical novel is a Florida Cracker epic. A book must pull me in to keep me. It took some pushing through early chapters, as I am primarily a non-fiction reader. There’s enough Florida history, and my familiarity with the places and some of the early founding families described by Smith as they were (well researched) in the 1800’s to connect the fictional MacIvey's to a sense of realism. The actual early settler's struggles to raise and drive cattle, starting with the Florida Cow Cavalry during the Civil War, must mirror those of the MacIveys. Smith as a writer doesn’t have the gift of a Marge Rawlings, but few do. It is solid however, and I’m enjoying it more as I progress through it.

On deck for me…A Will to Win, The Life of General James A. Van Fleet.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida