Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Books you've read and liked

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by solari, Apr 2, 2018.

1. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    My favorite book of all time is The Last of the Mohicans. It is hard to get into as the first chapter is horribly dull and the old American English is off-putting. But, if you stick with it, the book becomes a page Turner.

Of the Leatherstocking Tales, it is the most popular and the most interesting. The others are good, but Mohicans is the best.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    This one is not literature but it is an easy read and it taught me a lot back in the early 70s, Alinsky is a polarizing figure but a very smart tactician and a very good student of human behavior

Rules For Radicals ~~ Saul Alinsky

3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    the movies were good so I suppose the books would be too

4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Um, books? I will get back with you, I need to Google what a "book" is.

5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    It's like a Kindle, only it's made out of paper, you can't make the text bigger, and it takes up a lot of room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Anything by Daniel Silva
    Anything by Michael Connolly
    Anything by Carl Hiaasen

Although Silva is mainly noted from his Gabriel Allon series, all of which are excellent by the way, I would also recommend the Unlikely Spy, Silva's first novel set in the UK during World War II. Great read. Would also make a great period film with the right director and cast, especially considering that historic films set in England during World War II were very popular this past year (Dunkirk and the Darkest Hour come immediately to mind). Another of Silva's novels that I would recommend is the English Girl. Although set largely in the UK it's actually somewhat relatable to current events in the US today. Interesting coincidence considering that the book was written in 2013.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm a real relic. I have a Kindle but prefer to read print on paper. I also receive print editions of two newspapers although it would make more sense just to read the digital versions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    The Great Gatsby
    Nineteen Eighty-Four
    Far/Aim 2005

9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    2 good ones in my book (NPI)
    CH is devastatingly good on Florida politics and environment

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I like the idea of books, hardback books at least, esp. old books, but I don't like to actually use them. My Kindle can hold an enormous number of books, it weighs almost nothing, it takes up very little space, I can select the font, I can read it in the dark (or direct sunlight), and I can instantly look up any word I don't know. I can also read the same book on my phone, tablet, or computer, which comes in handy every now and again. About the only downsides to it are I can't use it to decorate a room, the rare times a book includes a graphic or some sort it's not the greatest, and I need to charge it once a week or so.

If I were Bill Gates I'd have an awesome and impressive library full of books from floor to ceiling, but I'd still read everything on a Kindle (or I'd make Microsoft make an eInk reader and use that).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Cross, by James Patterson

Alex Cross was a rising star in the Washington, DC, Police Department when an unknown shooter gunned down his wife, Maria, in front of him. The killer was never found, and the case turned cold, filed among the unsolved drive-bys in D.C.'s rough neighborhoods.

Years later, still haunted by his wife's death, Cross is making a bold move in his life. Now a free agent from the police and the FBI, he's set up practice as a psychologist once again. His life with Nana Mama, Damon, Jannie, and little Alex is finally getting in order. He even has a chance at a new love.

Then Cross's former partner, John Sampson, calls in a favor. He is tracking a serial rapist in Georgetown, one whose brutal modus operandi recalls a case Sampson and Cross worked together years earlier. When the case reveals a connection to Maria's death, Cross latches on for the most urgent and terrifying ride of his life.

From the man USA TODAY has called the "master of the genre," CROSS is the high-velocity thriller James Patterson and Alex Cross's fans have waited years to read - and the pinnacle of the bestselling detective series of the past two decades.

This novel was originally published under the title Cross. The movie tie-in editions are published under the title Alex Cross
    :star::star::star::star::star:

12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Robert E. Howard

3rd time doing the whole series. 1st time was my last summer in Gainesville when I only took 13 hours - mostly electives to help me get my degree - and shared a small place with 4 other guys. Needed something to pass the time.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unbroken

By Laura Hillenbrand

• Like Like x 3
  14. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    11/22/63 - Stephen King
    Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis (kids and I reread these every year or so)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Top 5:

1) The Godfather

2) Catch-22

3) Clear & present Danger

4) Christine

5) Thinner

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. solari

solari GC Janitor Premium Member

Meanwhile...To assist in your reading endeavors:

Seoul-based designer Yang Si Young created the "Library Chair" in answer to a personal challenge: to design a piece of furniture that's also a library; with built-in shelving and a place to read.

[​IMG]

yangsiyoung

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2018-4-7_14-58-27.jpeg

upload_2018-4-7_14-58-50.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Category 5: The Labor Day Hurricane by Thomas Neil Knowles

Fascinating stuff. I’ve read it twice and since we are on our way back from spending some time in the Keys I can put all the places in proper perspective.

If any of you have been out to Alligator Reef the part of the book concerning the lighthouse is nothing short of miraculous.

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Alas Babylon
    Ugly American
    Advise & Consent (Great flickas well)
    Catch 22

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    As said above, Daniel Silva is awesome, every single book. Carl Hiaasen literally makes me laugh out loud, which can be embarrassing on an airplane.

The Vince Flynn’ Mitch Rappaport series is first rate, and I highly recommend them.

Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone series are usually really fun, particularly if you like history.

Nelson DeMille is great. I loved all of his books, but one of my top 5 books was his early one, The Charm School. What a great read!!

A really interesting and fun book was Seth Grahame-Smith’s version of Jesus’s birth, Unholy Night. (Beware of Zombies, because, well, why not?)

If you like Ancient Rome, read the Dictator trilogy by Robert Harris, about the Caesar-inspired civil wars.

Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth, about life and intrigue surrounding the building of a cathedral in a England, is one of my all-time favorites.