Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Booker Commits to Bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jul 16, 2021.

1. florida72

florida72 Senior

Dec 31, 2019
    For the most part I agree. We don't live in a country that practices academics. It's preached but not practiced. Obviously this isnt ALL athletes but, it's most.

Most schools will look the other way to get recruits in. It's not about the high quality student but the high quality athlete that helps generate money.

This is why Mullen fits well at UF. He gets the most out of developing athletes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The star rankers were waaay off on that one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Cash is quite easy to hide, but most likely they made a deal with his parents; that's usually how it is done now. Keeps the player out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. florida72

florida72 Senior

Dec 31, 2019
    No 5* and hardly 4*. But there are 3* players that will play higher than their ranking.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    As they often are. I’d like to see the best classes as they turned out, not as they were originally ranked. I’ll bet the best classes are when a coach hits very well on the bottom half of his class.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And since the ncaa has no subpoena power, no one will ever know. Copes mom sure was pissed.

7. mkfgator

mkfgator Premium Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Since college football is really a business and most players don't give a damn about their education, we ought to divide the players into two classes: those who want to use the college as a stepping stone for the NFL with no desire to get past their junior year, and those who want a degree. The ones who want a degree get recruited the traditional way, with no cheating. The others get drafted. They all get paid , but there is a cap. We hire a retired federal reserve board chief who is still alive to oversee the cap and compliance with the rules, with the help of the FBI. We pass a federal law that hold coaches, players and parents accountable--thus the FBI's enforcement powers. And don't forget it is a violation of federal law to lie to an FBI agent. We also have two national championships every year: one for on the field and one for recruiting the real students who want a degree, since most fans put more emphasis on recruiting than coaching anyway. It will encourage better academics. The old NCAA can oversee the gender fluctuation league that will emerge probably in the next 5 years. Keeping with NCAA tradition, there will be no objective test to determine gender identity or even lack thereof.
    Either this, or just get rid of college football as a sport. Make it the minor league of the NFL.
    None of this will probably work , of course, but whatever we have right now will soon be obsolete anyway. Might as well plan on the future and tweak it 20 times to make it make sense and cents.

8. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    Did y'all hear Saban's recruiting pitch he gave virtually during the Covid era? You can't argue with that or deny that if you're a top rated recruit. You're guaranteed to win a championship. Your practices will be harder than most of your games. You'll get to the NFL and get more breaks. You've got a very high chance of being developed into a first round pick. I don't care who you are, it's darn hard to compete with that as a college coach. We should give Mullen some grace - year over year he has improved our recruiting and gotten us to the top of CFB. I think the recruiting will catch up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. mkfgator

mkfgator Premium Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I agree. Recruiting is a projection of the future success of your team. We don't know how good a class is until they start playing. The field counts more than the table with the 5 hats. Absolutely, better players usually play better. And , no doubt, we need to get our share of the top 10 players. Then we have to do what Mullen has done best --coach 'em up. Alabama has a great coach who can recruit and coach. I think he develops players excellently. Thus they play better. They win. Winning is the best recruiting tool out there. Under Mullen , too many of us forget what is most important--we are playing better and winning more than we did since Urban. Mullen has done a lot in 3 short years. Besides the wins and final rankings on the field, we are now building a new football facility. We are moving up. Winning on the field is the most important thing. Great recruiting is an assumption of future success--a damn good one at that. But college football is and has been all about the coaches. Our minds have gotten so conditioned to the cottage --actually castle--industry that is recruiting that many of us actually put more stock into that than winning on the field. And if you have a number 1 recruiting class, you just inherited a new curse: win a NC now or we will find someone else to take us over the top. I promise you if Alabama doesn't win the next three national championships, their fans would be saying it was time for Saban to retire.

10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ah, okay, that's what happened. I was wondering how much bama paid Booker but I should have been asking how much they paid his parents. I do wonder how they coordinate that so successfully between coaches and bag men. Doesn't matter I guess, we just know they are doing it.

11. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    They really do need a minor league system in football now and let kids be drafted straight out of HS like MLB does. But some people would probably take a hit financially with that system so it likely doesn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. maxgator

maxgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia beat us at the portal this year (of course, Arik Gilbert made a big difference)

13. maxgator

maxgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe we have seen what we are going to see from Mullen recruitingwise. Perhaps an outlier top 5 class once every 5 or 6 years. It is going to be around 10 to low teens and we are going to have to continue to develop and hit the portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mkfgator

mkfgator Premium Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I agree and honestly, I am so disgusted with the direction everything is going, my post was more sarcastic than real. But it seems today's sarcasm is tomorrow's reality these days anyway my friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did they? Bowman, Newkirk, Valentino, Perkins, and quite possibly Blades. Pretty strong haul

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. uf32259

uf32259 Sophomore

Jun 17, 2021
    Yes, in addition to Gilbert they got 3rd Team All American Tykee Smith from WVU and 1st Team All ACC Player in Derion Kendrick from Clemson

17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    To be fair our coaches had Gilbert. But somehow admissions did not allow him to get into UF and then All of a sudden about a week later Gilbert is academic honor roll at UGA? Smells fishy to me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    Very. In fact damn stinky if you ask me. Either he was trolling us all along, our admissions dept. sucks or Ugaly's admissions dept is shady. Take your pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    Completely agree, and I'm actually quite ok with that. Mullen can do a lot with classes ranked 5-10, including win a championship if the stars align.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    College is their free minor league

• Like Like x 2