Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bombshell dropping late last week

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by danmann65, Sep 2, 2018.

1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    There was some reporting mostly by Chuck Todd saying that a bombshell would be dropping before labor day weekend. No bombshell dropped. The theory was that Mueller in order not to have much impact on the election would do a release before election season which this pundit stated started after labor day.

I have two questions on this, one is it true that special councils dont drop bombshells before an election and two has Mueller made any public statements about the progress of the investigation?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't pay much attention to bombshell reports that might drop. I think speculation of this type is another way media get themselves into trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with this.

And fwiw, based on how the investigation has been managed to date, I don't think Mueller would take the "bombshell" approach.

It would not surprise me if there are additional indictments before the election, though, as the investigation continues to move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I think Mueller is letting the plea deals and trials do the talking. Eventually, whatever *bombshell* there is to be had will be in the form of a recommendation about Trump himself, where we get a more complete scope of what has happened, likely in a report.

@danmann65

[Edit]: There is a norm in which LE tries to stay out of the political fray right before any election but there is also an internal DOJ rule prohibiting DOJ employees from interfering with an election (or the appearance of it). This was what the bruhaha re: Comey and HRC's emails/Weiner laptop was about.

As far as I know, Mueller hasn't made any statements, however there have been leaks, likely tidbits of info provided by individual investigators or other support staff on his investigation team. Seems though they've been pretty tightlipped otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I've heard at least two references on TV to the White House possibly not making the Mueller report public once it is issued. What is that all about, or is it just another form of "fake news"? Why in the world should the WH be able to decide if the people can see the report?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Generally best to not pay much attention to bombshells that do drop, because they're rarely bombshells.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I haven't read that anywhere, and while I can understand the concern, I am not so sure he'd be able to bury the report.

9. Rocinante

Rocinante All American

May 28, 2013
    I agree with Leon Panetta on his advice to the Dems, wait for the full report before talking impeachment. Mueller appears to be very measured and conservative in his approach. Just like Trump.:))))

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, if Bush could delete 28 pages from a joint House/Senate intelligence report on 9/11 so that no one could read them (not part of a cover-up or anything like that), I can certainly see Trump using the same (abuse of) power.

11. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Of course, I could see him doing so as well. Almost goes without saying...

But this is a bit different and there are few if any legit legal or political arguments he could make. Plus the public pressure would be enormous.

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Right. The legend is that these apolitical agencies can’t do anything that might influence the election within 60 of said election. That’s the number that Todd was using.

However, when Comey was asked about this 60 day rule in reference to the Clinton thing, he said there is no such 60 day rule. The rule is simply never to get involved in interfering with elections if you can help it.

Not sure if Mueller, who is very-by the-book, would consider the most appropriate approach to be holding more indictments until after the election or just ignoring the election timeline and letting his investigation keep at its intrinsic pace.

13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    One bombshell that could drop before the midterms is Trump going from the White House to the bughouse (committed by his family).

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Never fear guys, the fair and balanced, unbiased media, will figure something out to smear trump before the midterms.

15. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Smearing Trump is no problem. He smears himself all the time. He doesn't need the media. You know, the enemy of the people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    The 60 day rule was something Giuliani made up on The Giuliani Misinformation Tour. There is no rule, and there should be no rule. Plus, Trump isn't running so what difference does it make.

Only Mueller knows what Mueller has, not the media, not Rudy, not the Dems. No one. And he has access to a lot more info than the media speculates about-good prosecutors (and Rudy was one back in the day) have a way of connecting all the dots.

We'll find out soon enough. I wish until then the media would go cover real news and not speculate about the investigation, but when you're looking for ratings in a 24/7 cycle, much filler is needed.

17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The One America Network is good at covering stories that you won't hear about on CNN and FoxNews, who don't want to cover anything but Trump. It's more like a real news network.

18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If the unwritten rule is within 60 days, he still has until next Friday. The midterms are 60 days from Friday. I think that Andrew Miller’s appeal of the contempt finding based on the ruling that the special counsel does not violate the appointments clause will slow the process.