Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Boardingham commits to UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 4everaGator, Feb 9, 2022.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope he's a full 220lbs.

3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
  4. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He plays like he weighs 210 on offense and 235 when he's playing defense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Never saw any measurables other than a six-cone time, whatever that is. Those numbers are very impressive, though I did see some defenders catch up to him in the open field. Then again, I remember Toney getting run down from behind once. Nobody runs at top speed when they've been on the field for almost every snap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If we could just get his perceived offensive playing weight down to 205 for a pass catching role and his perceived defensive weight up to 267 as DE/ILB. That's development.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’m sure that had to be it

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Toney was never that fast top end...but he was instant on the bottom end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    this is like a Logical Fallacy Soup

1. Chris Steele watched his roommate Jalen Jones rape a woman and Dan Mullen refused to remove him from Steele's apartment even after Steele talked to Mullen about it - not sure how California plays into this, except that maybe because he is from a liberal state Steele doesn't like sexual assault? Very strange conflation of disparate facts.

2. our current WR coach played at USC and is a well-regarded recruiter out West. if you are going to overreact like this every time we sign a Cali kid, you might want to speak to your doctor about doubling your dose of blood pressure medication.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Zoom makes being so far from home not so bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    And chicks, cash, beaches and great food lol

12. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uhhh…California has those things too.

13. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Don't rain on Daddy's parade! Lol

14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Along with high taxes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine last year. I was surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    They didn’t have a combine last year.

17. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Napier said at his recent press conference he measured 6”3 1/4” 235 when he made his visit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Must have been Pro Day or an individual workout. Saw a lot of times for players leading up to the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I’ve talked to many Gator athletes. The first year is when most are homesick and missing family and friends, but the same is true of most college freshman. Takes a while to make friendships and develop a new routine. Sometimes it is the Mom that can’t handle the distance. Players also talk about other players going home for long weekends to see families and they are alone on campus, as can’t just hop in the car for a 4 hour drive. Some handle distance well and others transfer to be closer to family. Can’t begrudge them. We did have a CB coaching change at that time Steele joined UF as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    As far as #1- you are completely wrong. It was reported on these boards that Steele's mama had been urging him to come back home almost from the get-go.
    He used the Jalen Jones thing as an excuse to become immediately eligible. Players are immediately eligible now but back then it went to the NCAA. The Jones thing provided a handy excuse and it did work, but Steele would have left anyway. Candy talked about it at length on here.

As far as #2- that's fine about our WR coach. BUT you are still bringing kids a long way from home AND to a completely different climate/culture. While all recruits are a risk, I would cut our risk by staying a little more local. While fans can retreat to A/C comfort, athletes have to get it done outside. The humidity in Florida is like nothing they have experienced in CA. It's a huge adjustment. And college is already such a big adjustment. I know this because... wait for it... I grew up in CA then was a part of an outdoor sport at UF, and I know how hard it was for me.

Again- I hope the kid adjusts fine and becomes the 2nd Kyle Pitts. But as a risk/reward thing, I'd rather stay local as a guideline. But frankly I was just questioning Strange's crowing that this proved recruiting CA was a good investment. No one knows whether this kid will work out. Though again I hope he does.

So looks like you were wrong twice. Steele was homesick (per Candy) I know from personal experience what a big adjustment the climate is from CA to UF.
    Maybe its you who need to adjust your pills. Cause you sure forgot about facts that were posted ON THIS BOARD just 3 years ago.

Edit- before anyone brings him up- I know Najee Harris went from California to Bama and was great. As an aside, Harris went to my high school back in CA. While he did great at Bama, he talked at length about how hard it was for him and how he almost left Bama many times.
    I hope Boardingham is the exception like Harris, but again, as a rule, I wish we would stay in the south for most of our recruits as more of a risk/reward thing.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1