Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Black uniforms appear to be....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by G8torsRUL, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What I highlighted in bold makes no sense. You are correct that black surfaces definitely absorb more heat.

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

He meant photon torpedoes

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Exactly...where are the photons that are coming out of your body? Black color heat absorption only applies to light.

5. chunks1

chunks1 All American

Jan 2, 2014
    Green,black, white, purple and maybe a little garnet and gold. From what i am reading dont resist change because change is inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I don't understand all of the disdain for black uniforms, alternate uniforms, or'gimmicky" uniforms because it bucks tradition and the Gators are a blue blood school.

If change is that bad, how do you even watch football now that we don't wear leather helmets, wool or cotton uniforms, and the forward pass has been introduced?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Four pages and no mock uniform pics???? What's wrong with this page?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Light waves and heat are two different things, aren't they? . Black absorbs light waves, white reflects them. Your body does not produce light waves, so I'm calling BS on the notion that white reflects heat back onto your body. And the business about how the wind speed affects all of that is just plain sill; why would black colors be better in more wind if the original premise is true?

And the poster above that says black cars are not hotter than white cars is wrong also.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I'm not an expert. I can only go on what experts in the industry have told me. I'm simply passing along the information that was given to me. I trust the source and my own personal experience of wearing recent performance products. Like someone else mentioned above modern fishing apparel works the same way. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it not true. I encourage you to go out and buy a gator blue shirt and a black shirt like Huk, Under Armour, etc makes. You'll find there's no difference.

10. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Humans emit light. This is nothing new
    Strange! Humans Glow in Visible Light

11. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    So did mullen say that or not? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Sophomore

Jul 4, 2011
    Really? Just wait until they hit the field in September in those black unis and melt. Maybe us "old codgers' won't look so out of touch or "resistant to change".

• Like Like x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I feel hotter in black during the summer. Perhaps white clothing retains my body heat, but I still think I would be less hot initially wearing white, as not absorbing as much heat from 95 degree sun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Absorbing light is not good around radiation and hotter

Reflecting light is cooler and safer

Especially in humid climates

15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    If it were 1965 and they were 100% cotton, then maybe so. Nike/Jordan Jumpman uses Dri-Fit material which is sweat/water, UV, and odor resistant.

That, and these kids are used to the heat and humidity no matter what color they wear. Even the ones with very dark skin.

Black uniforms don't affect the baseball and softball players for UF. It will be okay. ;)

16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You are definitely showing your age if you think UF is a CFB Blue Blood. UF has been playing longer than the past 30 years. The majority of UF's football history is avg at best. The 90's under SOS put UF football on the map and the 00's put UF into the elite level of programs.
    UF is more nouveau riche as it pertains to CFB history and the blue bloods of the sport.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't look now, but Michi, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all go regularly to the alternate unis. That's 5/8 of the top 8 in wins all time, which is about as blue-blood as one can get.

It's really got nothing to do with a gimmick for motivation, it's simply what the kids like at this point. One more angle for recruiting, just like better dorms or a new football complex.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I just wish we would do the alternates in our own colors!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I imagine that's what we'll actually end up with. Maybe there will be a black one-off uni at some point against a cupcake, but it's more likely we get a few helmet variations (matte or blue shells, new decals, etc.) and some minor tweaks to jerseys. Add a change for a game each season and then having them in the rotation from time to time. That was Mullen's m.o. at MSU.

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Cal, Minnesota, Army and ND were the original college football blue bloods back in the day