Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Black uniforms appear to be....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by G8torsRUL, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Emissivity, pretty much THE primary factor in radiant heat transfer, is highest for the color black. They call it “black body radiation” for a reason.

2. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Physics explains why dark clothes are better than white in summer

The heat our body produces is also being reflected back onto us, therefore keeping us warmer. The reason this occurs is because lighter-colored objects absorb less photons.

3. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Understood. I was comenting on the underarmor guy saying white colors reflect heat back into your body. That’s insane.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    So wearing black rather than white while playing football on a hot sunny day in September day makes no difference.

Guess that explains why there are so many black cars in Florida. Black doesn't get as hot.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not enough to matter if you've got the right gear. In today's measured/data driven world, UF (and all southern schools) would be whites at home if it made a difference.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. FearNoSpear

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Did you read my response? I attached a link explaining it for you. Physics explains why dark clothes are better than white in summer

Here's another one in regards to cycling jerseys
    MDS - The Website of Matt D. Smith

"White clothing reflects sunlight, but also reflects internal heat back towards your body, so the net effect under identical conditions is less cooling than if you wore black." Interesting stuff.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I am fairly new to the long sleeves while fishing and cutting grass. I came by the change hard. But when your dermatologist continues to cut skin cancers off of you like he's carving a sculpture, your perspective changes.

So I began wearing those shirts. It turns out that I Love them and wish I would've started wearing them a long time ago. I am cooler because the sun isn't scorching bare skin and because they breathe really well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Probably a tad early to get too concerned about tweets and associated rumors, particularly around any uni developments, BUT...if it would help us win...I don't care if we use unicorn uni's (occasionally substituting in the standard orange and blue :eek:o_O:rolleyes:)

I'll hold my official opinion until the truth is released. Now don't be opening up a whole can a whoop ass...;)

Go Gators:D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    “Storing” heat isn’t the factor in play - that’s a function of the specific heat, or heat capacity of the material. This is about absorbing heat. For the same material, black surfaces absorb more radiant heat than any other color.

10. FearNoSpear

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Yes. Storing was a terrible choice of words. Black surfaces definitely absorb more heat but transfer less heat to the wearer and can actually draw heat from the wearer. This explains it more intelligently than I can.
    Physics explains why dark clothes are better than white in summer

11. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Good night we are starving for football

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I'm famished!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 11708cht

11708cht VIP Member

Jun 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008

15. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Accentuates our brand quite well. Better than white.
    If we wear this at home, it will be a night game.

16. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Yes, this is true. It becomes hot black plastic like the hot green plastic turf fields! There are fabrics, by aluminized threads, that are cool in the sun and warm during the night. Maybe there’s a breakthrough in fabric tech? Uniforms are nylon/polyester which have an emissivity of .85 but how much of a uniform is touching the skin vs shoulder pads anyway? They’re baking in a foam latent plastic shell anyway! This is a good question for a MEB211 Heats lecture!

• Like Like x 1
  17. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    I’d expect the whole black uniform thing from programs that rely on gimmicks to get motivated. You know, the F$Us, Miamis, Louisvilles, Arizona States, etc of the CFB world.

I consider UF a CFB Blue Blood. I’d hope we would have some f-ing pride in our tradition. Great programs don’t need silly gimmicks to get motivated. I’m skeptical any supposed super-recruit will base his decision on college attendance on something like black uniforms. If that’s really a deal breaker, then I don’t want them in this program anyway.

I’m sure I’ll be shouted down as an out-of-touch geezer... yet I’m younger than prolly 80% of this board.

It’s going to be awfully embarrassing struggling against Vandy in these.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. co_gator89

co_gator89 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2009
    Always been opposed to uniform gimmicks like this, but if they really insist, please do it for an opponent like Towson or UT-Martin and not a game that matters. Would really bum me out if I got to the Auburn game in October only to see our guys running out of the tunnel wearing one of Georgia's colors.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. steve6137

steve6137 GC Legend

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta
    On the brink of a 4 page uniform thread.
    I’d like to applaud everyone involved,

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Uniform gimmicks is how Oregon got its start.

• Winner Winner x 1