Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bizarre Ejection at Louisiana Tech

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by MadduxFanII, Feb 10, 2018.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Not Gator-related, obviously, but we like talking about basketball here, and this IS White's previous job, so I thought I'd share this.

Anyway, Louisiana Tech star Jacobi Boykins was ejected from a recent win over UNC-Charlotte. Not terribly interesting in and of itself, but it was one of the most pathetic ejections you'll ever see.

Here's (https://deadspin.com/louisiana-tech-player-ejected-for-being-too-rad-1822872788) the full Deadspin story on it.

For reference, here's video of the first technical () and here's video of the second ().

The second technical is pathetic, but you can squint really, really, REALLY hard and see taunting there. But the first is, without hyperbole, one of the weirdest and most inexplicable technical fouls I've ever seen in my life. He blocked the shot! Cleanly! There wasn't even a foul on the play!

(Sorry for the weird non-embedding of the links - the icons to do that have disappeared for me for whatever reason)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Unfortunate. I would like to know the explanation for the first tech. The announcers claim that on the second, that he did not do any jawing, but I'm not sure you can tell from the video. The second tech is certainly suspect, but there's a small possibility he yelled at the player on the floor. A bizarre ejection for sure and unfortunately, may be due to the player's boisterous nature. Let the kids play, ref!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    PATHETIC! I don't care if you were playing the Gators I would defend the player instead of the ref on that one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Imagine that call against Duke.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Usually refs give a lot of leeway on second tech when they know it will result in an ejection.

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Really looks like he may have earned the 2nd one. IF he yells something at the kid. The first one seemed weird though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Funny story that I think you guys will appreciate. Last night I sent that to assistant coach Darris Nichols and told him "i'm glad you're not dealing with conference usa refs like that anymore."

and he told me "who said we didn't... had him at georgia."

So if you thought that game against georgia where we lost was badly officiated... this was the same official!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Players talk on the court, I think the ref just had it out for him. The ref that called the tech was way on the other side of the court far from the action. The ref that was right there at the point of action didn't call the tech.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Think somebody should be suspended for that nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would have to imagine it because it would never happen in reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    It's a scary thing when you take away the emotions and joy out of the game. My favorite memories from the NBA happened because the moments weren't ruined by a technical foul. Shawn Kemp's dunk on Alton Lister was my favorite sequence for a long time. That moment would've been erased from NBA history had the ref been a tightass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Junior

Oct 28, 2014
    Truly pathetic, yet another ref who thinks people watch the game to see him and not the players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    ridiculous

14. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Wow...

Tech's shouldn't be called if I have to watch the video clips over and over again while perplexed as to what I should even be looking for. If its not clear - it shouldn't be a tech.

The exception would be if there was something subtle but completely unacceptable that wouldn't have shown on camera - in which case an explanation is all that is needed.

15. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 27, 2009
    ...yea, no excusing either of those calls, that's downright pathetic.

First one was a clean block and I'm baffled how that gets called; second one is waaay too big of a stretch to call it taunting. I'm never one for cheap showmanship, but smiling at a player after a big-time steal/dunk? If he's saying something to the guy or getting in his face/standing over him, that's one thing. But just looking and smiling at the guy? Come on, that's ridiculous