Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bits of Tid Post Vandy 11/11/19

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007
    Please try and discuss active players on the main board. I love talking about the Gators, but when I click on a recruiting thread I want to read about recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Visitor list is getting interesting for 12/6

Morven Joseph
    Jaylan Knighton
    Derek Wingo
    Richard Leonard

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't think anyone is trying to disrespect Perine and I don't think there's a single person here who isn't rooting for the kid. But after the way he finished last season, and with no other established competition coming into this season, I think most of us thought Perine was in the position to have a big season and get drafted into the NFL.

That hasn't happened. The offensive line's run blocking hasn't helped him, but there's clearly something more to it. I don't think it's lack of effort but his pass blocking hasn't been very good this year either. Other than the huge run against Auburn, Perine has looked like a pretty average college RB.

But in the last 2 games, Perine's touches have been cut by over 50% from his average over the first 8 games. Part of that appears to be that the coaches seem to have pretty much given up on the traditional running game. Even in the 56-0 Vandy win, in a game you'd think the coaches would give Perine a lot of carries, he had 4 carries for 13 yards. The other RBs didn't fare much better. But the QBs and WRs combined for 16 carries for 116 rushing yards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ShadowCat

ShadowCat Senior

Jan 6, 2015
    Until we have an Oline worth anything, what RB with his head screwed on right would come here and be fighting for 1 yard gains... When they see Perine, a pre-season pick, having no chance to run what hope does a freshman have to gain yards?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    FSU has a worse OL than us and had 2 solid RB commits. But then again, until ink hits paper, you never know where they're going to sign. I do think we'll land an RB though, I just hate that we don't already have one in the fold.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bongogator

Bongogator Senior

Aug 21, 2007
    Tampa
    You beat me to it, by a minute!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Certain kids want to play at certain schools based on the culture they're from. We can't always change their minds. Plus many other factor$ in play wrt recruiting. Hard to judge when we don't know all the facts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    Oui oui

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    First, credit to the staff for adapting and moving the ball with WRs. Whatever it takes.

But the question is, will our OL learn to run block better with practice and strength training? Is anyone concerned we have a group of guys that inexplicably will not be able to open up run lanes eventually?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think the verdict is out on the upper classmen . The young guys hopefully take over and improve next year.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nodakgator

nodakgator Freshman

Oct 14, 2019
    I am worried for next year somewhat, but I'm confident in the younger guys we having coming in and on our roster. (Walker, Harod, Gouriage, White, etc.) three being four star guys. Keep in mind our starting offensive line recruiting ranking average is a 5.7. That's with Gouriage being our highest rated at a 5.9 as a freshman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    The Oline is almost entirely new this year, and is gradually improving, but still gets little push, however, a year of working together will help a lot next year losing only Buchanon, meaning that Heggie will move to Center next year, and White graded out very highly in his first start replacing Bleich, and Couriage looked good replacing the injured Heggie at left guard.

Next year should be considerably better and all of the most likely new RB prospects, look good if you've watched their HS film.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    UF's O-line should be better next year and very good the year after. Any RB recruit will be told this and should know this if they are paying attention.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Well, technically FSU probably has the worst o line in the nation. Lol

Coaches can sell their vision and it doesn’t matter who is on the o line and how they performed this year. For example, UF coaches may tell a RB prospect that we aren’t running our normal o this year. With Franks out and less QB runs due to trasks different skill set we are not able to open up the running lanes like last year and at MSU. Kids can see Jones and Richardson are next QBs up and we sell that the traditional offense we run with those QBs (running threats) opens up the running lane for the rbs.

See, I’m not even a coach/recruiter but I am sure I have you convinced UF is now the place to be for RBs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I could be wrong but I’ve felt having him share more of the load with pierce could’ve benefitted him in games , much like Scarlett did

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. tmape01

tmape01 Sophomore

Apr 18, 2007

• Like Like x 8
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    How did you get a come on man for this post!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Once again, Mullen knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    From a guy that has posted once in twelve years, no less.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    NFL looks at things much different than fans. Perine has actually helped himself as the league wants guys who can catch the ball. That catch for a td yesterday earned him some dough.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4