Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Billy D

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by rj_gator, Apr 28, 2022.

1. rj_gator

rj_gator Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    So earlier tonight Billy D's Chicago Bulls were bounced in the first round of the NBA playoffs, and I can't help but wonder why the heck he left us to go be a mediocre NBA coach? What were the odds that he would be as successful there as he was in college? That never happens. Why couldn't he stay and be our Dean Smith, Roy Williams or Coach K? As much as he has done for Gator Nation, it really bothers me that his ego ruined his opportunity to be an all-time legend at UF and in college basketball in general. Jumping to the pros and failing has damaged his legacy. It's probably why he's still not in the basketball HOF.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 14
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A big ego would have kept him at UF. He wanted the unrestricted ability to coach players, rather than the limitations that are placed on college coaches. He has done a great job in the NBA, but he has not yet had a championship-level roster.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    He is our “Dean Smith” as is, just like Spurrier on the football side, despite going to the pros..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    i disagree that he has failed. He was actually a candidate for coach of the year this year before his team tailed off in the latter half of the year. He was one game from the nba finals with okie city several years ago and like when at UF, has done less with more in several of his seasons in the nba. Granted, I haven t watched any nba games in 20 years - not one second - so my info is second hand from what I read and hear from others who follow the nba.

Leaving UF to coach in the pinnacle of his profession was a new challenge for him. I don’t knock him for trying to coach with the best of his sport. He also left college ball because of frustrations with the recruiting scenario (see the shoe company money scandal and quotes from Billy in new book with him ripping into Nike) and will not be returning.

his nba success or failure has zero to do with him not being in basketball hall of fame (has 320 wins and 234 losses - that is not a bad record at all) but I cannot explain why he isn’t in.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Ego? Seriously?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dumb post. Billy has anything but an ego. He was sick of the antics of the college game recruiting wise when he was playing it clean. Had he engaged in the shenanigans the blue bloods do we would have another 2 banners at least.

Also, he is a darn good NBA coach. NBA is all about the players / roster. He has had a top tier roster since he entered the league with OKC when Durant and company were there and he was a Durant choke job away from probably winning it all. Then Durant instead of sticking it out and trying to finish the job left Billy D high and dry by pulling his chump move of going to a 73 win championship level team.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Umm, our basketball court has his name on it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He’s doing a pretty good job in the NBA, although this playoff exit is probably a bit below their expectations, he’s generally had his teams perform.

Billy D had a nice run here. Could could have (and almost did) leave after the back to back. That extra handful of years and run of elite 8’s was special and I think it was an even 20 years? Almost capped off with that 3rd ‘ship. I think it was basically a case of “nothing left to prove” probably combined with some frustration of how stupid recruiting was starting to become.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Losing Lonzo Ball really hurt them. They were in first place in the East for a while when they had had Ball, Levine and DeRozan and Caruso playing together. Then Ball went down and Caruso went down and they ended up tanking a bit in the second half of the season. Ball never returned.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rzinger

rzinger Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearly the hunger was gone yet the pressure increased. The only way to make that better was a new challenge.

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I hear this from time to time, and it always leaves me confused. I can't imagine being a basketball fan and not watching even a second of pro basketball... not even a Finals closeout game? I might even watch a high school game or an international game if its on TV or if there's a specific player I want to see. I watched a lot of Scottie Wilbekin's overseas games for years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I doubt Billy D ever felt “pressure” at UF other than perhaps where we were in the midst of that “1st weekend NCAA exit” streak, obviously that created pressure specific to the tournaments. Back to back championships was basically lifetime job security barring something truly catastrophic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Some people are only fans of college sports.

I used to watch a ton of college football and never NFL, but as the college product has worsened now I surely watch more NFL games than college, and practically don’t watch any college football at all except for UF games. If I hadn’t graduated from UF, I probably wouldn’t even keep tabs on college football at all.

Some could look at basketball like that, where they are only interested in the college game but not the pros or vice versa. I’d say I watch less basketball in general than I used to when MJ was in the league, where I’d watch practically every televised playoff game. Now I just check out a specific game or if there is something historic going on, might catch a few random playoff games but I don’t even follow through and watch a series.

It’s better than baseball though. As a kid I knew all the players and was a baseball stats junkie (I was also a good player myself). Now I couldn’t even tell you the last time I watched a televised game… including the World Series, the World Series comes and goes and every year I hardly notice and I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched an inning of play… even the World Series! I have absolutely zero interest for whatever reason

• Like Like x 2
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    For a big-time coach, Billy D ego's is in the bottom 10% of all coaches.
    We were blessed to have him as long as we did.
    Foley's best move of all time.

• Like Like x 5
  15. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Really uninformed op

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I get it if you aren’t interested in the NBA as much as college, but if you are a college BBall fan and won’t watch one second of a pro game as a he other poster suggested, that seems like more than just preference.

I also stopped watching baseball for the past 30+ years, but that was because I stopped playing it and lost interest. I used to know every player as well. But… it’s not like I haven’t ever watched a few minutes of a game here and there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Over his last couple of years at UF I believe it was clear from his press conferences and interviews that he was frustrated with the additional burden of managing player entitlement as well. In hindsight, after the deflation from the two miracle seasons and a fresh opportunity to be part of a franchise supported by fans starved for NBA hoops, his path was pretty much set. He read the tea leaves very well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    How is he a mediocre NBA Coach?

Has already won NBA COY and was a game out from the finals that lost to arguably one of the greatest teams of all time. Had a really good team this year that was decimated by injuries and couldn't regain their early season form.

It is really hard, nearly impossible to win a title in the NBA when you are without a Top 5-7 caliber player or two.

Lets look at the past 10 Champions:

Bucks - Giannis
    Lakers - Lebron, AD
    Raptors - Kawhai
    Warriors - Curry, KD
    Warriors - Curry, KD
    Cavs - LeBron, Kyrie
    Warriors - Curry
    Spurs - Duncan, Kawhai
    Heat - LeBron, Wade
    Heat - LeBron, Wade

I think the Pistons in 04 were the last team that won a title that did not have that caliber of player on their roster.

Anyway, Billy D is doing just fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Some people need to read over their thoughts and take a few deep breaths before starting a thread. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    When I see it in a post and there is commentary about the nba, I’ve always wondered the same, and why the comment has to be made.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3