Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Billy addresses Kentucky rumors. Kinda

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 10, 2024.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Billy gave similar non-answers during the 2007 Final Four… when these rumors pervaded and somewhat dampened the moment. I very much appreciate Billy, but have always found this type response annoying. Close the door.
    He has never been able/willing to do so. Perhaps be likes the dance.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I thought his answers were perfect. And why would he slam that door? His current team is bad, and maybe his own continued employment with the Bulls is no sure thing. Why not keep a window cracked open, just in case he needs the air?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t think his answers reflect any potential “need”. It just
    seems to be how handles these type rumors… whether with the Bulls or at Florida.
    And I’m not saying it’s “right” or “wrong”.

4. ForeverGator

ForeverGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe KY will go after him. He would be given the necessary financial support to close the deal on big-time recruits and not have to worry about losing out on too many of them.

5. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Kentucky fans know that BD is a longshot at best, but from what I have read out of Kentucky, BD gets the first offer. Worth a shot from their perspective.

6. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    If he went to Kentucky, would we keep "Billy Donovan Court"? Seems like we would have to remove it, at least while he was an active SEC coach for someone else.

7. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Problem with Billy is the timing of how late his season ends. I dont' see how UK can wait to know anything related to his interest. I think it's possible that he'd be interested but, as UK has seen with Billy in the past, his interest doesn't automatically indicate that he'll make the jump.

8. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    It's possible Billy caught lightning in a bottle those two years but struggled to maintain that high. The thing about UK imo is that they the fan base expect a final 4 team every year or a NC. Lots of pressure and stress with this position more so than most. Win and you're a hero, lose and we hate you. UK wants to be relevant again and I'm not sure how patient they will be for the next coach.

I think Cal was tired of the vitriol and probably he and his family felt the brunt of peoples anger wherever they went. He has enough money not to put up with that even though it's a huge chunk of change. To his credit he didn't hold UK hostage by simply playing out the years.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Struggled to maintain that high? I mean in his last five years, he went to three elite eights and a final four. I don’t think he was struggling. He got tired of where the sport was heading.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    After listening to Billy, I think he's willing to discuss the position with UK. Hopefully, he decides to stay in the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    My bad, you're right. Chalk this to bad memory.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    and his last year was a losing record, right? That was the struggle!

13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Ironically, Billy’s struggles and frustrations related to some incidents that involved Kentucky… and ending up in “second place” in a couple recruiting battles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Lightning in à bottle? What? That’s crazy talk. So you watched UF basketball just those 2 years?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeh, the overall number 1 seed with a completely different team a number of years later is just an asterisk.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Listening to Billy on Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem makes me think he does not want to return to college, but that was a few months ago Kentucky is calling..

He has demonstrated success in the NBA and his efforts with Chicago cannot be understated. They lost several key and franchise players and him steadying the team to even be where they are now is a marvelous feat

Stay in the NBA... or coach somewhere not in conference... please...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. lifetimeg8r

lifetimeg8r All American

Jan 18, 2008
    World Wide Wes

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Patterson

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

Geez, how much more firm of an answer do you want?

Tough crowd.

He remains by favorite gator coach of all time across all sports. BD has been more and more spiritual over the years and he speaks similar to Sam Presti, if you’ve heard him speak. It’s all about openness and understanding that BD staying at Chicago is not entirely his decision. They might not want him around at some point, so it’s all a fluid situation and everyone involved knows that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    “I have not … nor will have ….any interest in the head coaching position at Kentucky. I built my career and legacy at the University of Florida, at which I am honored to have the court bear my name. I coached my last collegiate game when I resigned from Florida, and look forward to retiring and returning as a fan. I will, however, never return as a rival coach.”

How’s that?

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1