Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bill Murray and the horror of Cannes +

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorjjh, May 16, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    CELEBRITIES
    Tribune news services
    Bill Murray and the horror of Cannes
    CANNES, France — The Jim Jarmusch zombie movie “The Dead Don’t Die” includes masses of flesh-eating zombies and an Earth thrown off its axis by “polar fracking.” But the Cannes Film Festival, where the film premiered Tuesday, has hordes and horrors of its own. When asked what horror films he finds frightening, its lead star, Bill Murray, didn’t hesitate.
    “I find Cannes frightening,” Murray said. When it was suggested that at least there hadn’t been any zombies at the fest so far, Murray replied, “Says you.”
    “The Dead Don’t Die” did, in fact, bring zombies to Cannes. Staggering actors in full zombie makeup lined the entryway to the film’s after-party Tuesday night.

In the film, Murray is sheriff of a small town, Centerville, where Adam Driver and Chloe Sevigny also play police officers. When the planet stops rotating, night never comes and the dead begin roaming Centerville’s streets while clinging to their old habits (seeking Wi-Fi, chardonnay and coffee). Townspeople include Tilda Swinton as a funeral director, Tom Waits as a hermit and Steve Buscemi as a farmer with a MAGA-like hat reading “Keep America White Again” and a dog named Rumsfeld.
    Bill Murray and the horror of Cannes

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I'm really looking forward to this film. Bill Murray is a freaking national treasure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Love Jim Jarmusch movies. Bill Murray has been in a couple of them. The Dead Don't Die looks really good. Amazing cast, though mostly actors who have been in his previous films.

4. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    I'll let yall see it first. I'm a little worried it may have tried to go soo over the top it's gone plaid (ie, ludicrous speed). If I end up being wrong and it did hit the sweet spot, I'll be glad.

But Bill Murray is just the right kind of crazy. He used to run a shtick in NYC and my friend was a victim: He'd come up behind a tourist cover their eyes and say "Guess who?" When you turned around and saw him all he would say was "Noone will ever believe you" and walk away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Love that Bill Murray. Lately I've been watching "Lost in Translation" a few minutes at a time.

It's a different movie- perhaps his best performance. I've heard he said it was his favorite film of his own movies.

7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    One of my absolute favorites

• Like Like x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    A friend of mine was on a flight with Bill Murray. He said Murray was just as nice as he could be and since he was sharing a 1st class row with home, Murray talked to him for the entire three hour flight like they were old friends. A couple of years later he ran into Murray in NYC and Murray remembered my friends name and asked about his kids, etc. Very impressive man

• Like Like x 3