Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bill Maher Nails It. And No it is not about wearing a mask...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Aug 2, 2020.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    McDonald's

3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    What if you don’t want to? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, they had “McDoubles” on the dollar menu for a long time... not sure if it’s still there, though, prices went up with COVID19.

5. interrygator

interrygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the regular restaurant meals is a part of the problem. I've lost weight in the past 5 months even though I've eaten some comfort food, but I stopped eating restaurant food for lunch and dinner.

• Like Like x 5
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    McDonald is crap, but i dont even think the issue there is people ordering off the .99 menu, it’s the supersize coke and fries. If they just had a plain cheeseburger and a water, that probably isn’t obesity calories. It’s the Bic Mac’s and supersize coke and fries that is the problem.

That being said, I think the obesity problem is actually much bigger than just the low income fast food, and actually fast-casual places - even ones that advertise clean or natural foods, dish out redicous calories. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess a Chipotle burrito or bowl is just as bad calorie wise as the worst McDonald’s can dish out. I’m not going to be a hypocrite because I love me some Chipotle once in awhile (McDonald’s, not so much). Sit down fast casual gets even more ridiculous calorie wise, I can’t even fathom eating a full entree at a lot of those places - huge piles of nasty azz processed food. ‘Murica.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    You can cheat every now and then, heck I've even ordered pizza delivery a time or two (or more), but not very often. And I love me some pizza no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    The 99 cent menu at Mic Ds has dwindled to a few items.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Get the Big Leo at Leonardo’s on 43rd street in Millhopper. Deep dish pizza Chicago style. Best in Hogtown.

You won’t be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I haven't been there since March so I was just guessing.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Taiwan has a commercial nature to its economy. Commercial nature of the economy just means that businesses like restaurants provide what the public wants. Taiwanese people want different things from their food than Americans.

The main difference is that all Taiwanese kids are educated about food from a young age, and that is reinforced at home. American parents do not see the greasy, sugar-laden foods they give their kids making them morbidly obese because it happens slowly. And it makes the kids happy. American parents will do anything, including poisoning their own kids, if it makes them happy. If kids are unhappy, give them sugar and put them in front of a television--what could go wrong?

Secondary factors include a history of poverty as recently as the 1980's, when few could afford meat, a lot of which was imported (there are very few cows in Taiwan because there is not that much flat land that hasn't been developed). The parents did without meat, so they raise the kids to get by with less meat. The U.S. hasn't had an economy that bad for a decade or more since the 1930's. Some Taiwanese in the 1980's ate dog meat. There are also a lot of Buddhists in Taiwan, and apparently serious Buddhists often prefer a vegetarian diet.

I like the shabu shabu (hot pot) in Taiwan, and many of the other foods, but I can't handle the stinky tofu and durian.

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Shabu shabu is terrific and there are so many great chicken & seafood dishes served fresh at the markets. I'm with you on stinky tofu. To me, it was the Taiwanese equivalent of chitlins.

Edit: Dimsum! great stuff

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    US has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    America is the worlds leading producer and consumer of simple carbohydrates. There’s your obesity crisis.
    It’s not about fat. It’s about fat AND carbs.
    That’s how I’m down almost 75 pounds since March 1

• Like Like x 3
  15. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Don't go chasing discount burgers. Please stick to the Double Downs and McRibs that you're used to.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    I had it once in in 1992. Not a fan. I prefer Chicago style in Chicago. Though my preference is St. Louis style pizza (not Imo's, which is crap pizza).

17. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Interesting to watch movies made pre 90's and pay attention to peoples size's compared to post 90's.
    No doubt we have a major diet issue in this country.
    I also agree with Maher's segment on "cancel culture".

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    I don't. I watch Maher every week (when he doesn't take a month off), and this was simply an echo chamber. He had two people on with the exact same views when he otherwise praises himself for getting people who have divergent views. This week's episode was self-congratulatory and masturbative.

19. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Our food and healthcare industry are bosom buddies, and is stacked against the consumer..

But hey, so long as we have the freedom to eat shit, it’s all good!

20. WC53

WC53 GC Legend

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The food pyramid was fake news! Okay really.

Order a burger no bun and broccoli:) but damn do fries smell good!
    Sugar and flour used everywhere it is not needed combined with the snack industry... over half the grocery store Contributes to a bad diet. Bill has been on the pro fat shamers for a bit now. He is not wrong.

It is all habit and what we are conditioned to purchase. Glutony?

• Like Like x 2