Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bill Maher Nails It. And No it is not about wearing a mask...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Aug 2, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    While Bill Maher and I disagree on many things. He nails it here. This is not about masks. It is about Health. This is a serious virus. And while I would argue Bill Maher supports policies that perpetuate what he is rightly describing as the problem. He at the same time understands that is the Catch 22 of Freedom. As I have said...if you want universal healthcare. You must remove Freedom for people to treat their bodies without regard for personal responsibility. If you want to beat Covid...take care of yourself.

Not politically correct. But so many need to look in the mirror when it comes to the Public Health issue of Obesity.

• Like Like x 6
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I completely agree with Maher.
    Pubs(and Dems) wouldn't listen to Michelle, maybe they will listen to Trump.

[​IMG]

You knew someone would post it....:D:ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Maher has been on this anti-obesity kick for awhile but doesn't mention he smoked for much of his adult life to stay thin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I didn't watch the video, but if what you posted is the essence of his argument, then it doesn't make sense. People are in complete control of what they eat and their life style, it's not like shopping at the same store as a fat person with heart disease is going to make you fat with heart disease, too. Unfortunately, with Covid, beating it is a group effort because one selfish turd not wearing a mask when they go to the grocery store has the ability to infect dozens of other people...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Solid satire post.

The only problem is that most eating those burgers are extremely fit and healthy. So a bad meal here and there is not going to be a problem. :)

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    He smoked to stay thin? Or did he smoke to smoke (plenty of other reasons)?

I honestly do not know. It would not surprise me if it was something people did. If he is not smoking now it is great news that he is taking his health seriously.

7. l_boy

l_boy GC Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm going to mostly agree with Maher, but on some of these health issues he tends to get awfully simplistic. He isn't an anti vaxxer, but he rails against flu shots. He smokes pot, which probably isn't exactly healthy. He exaggerates the impact of nutrition. While I totally agree we should abandon this body positivity crap, to assert that in the middle of a pandemic you lose 5 or 10 pounds that it dramatically helps your chances seems a stretch. True the obese are less healthy and makes covid more dangerous. But it is likely the long term effects of obesity, like diabetes. If you have diabetes, it isn't likely it will just go away and with a quick weight loss of 5 or 10 lbs.

Nonetheless he is correct that our poor eating habits are a societal problem for us that costs us a crap ton of money. But we are afraid to talk about it because somebodys feelings may get hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    Prior to the "everyone has a trainer and a nutritionist" era, smoking was a widespread Hollywood habit to stay thin and camera ready. Trading the eating urges for nicotine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WC53

WC53 GC Legend

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    So was cocaine

• Like Like x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Good news is he is putting forth the type of Public Health policy we need to see.

I hit 197 on the scale in November of 2008. It was my trigger (not going over 200). I have been 160 for years now. It took time and discipline.

Obesity is the arguably the number 1 Public Health Policy that needs to be addressed. Yet all we hear is we need to wear masks. And now potentially goggles?

If only we would focus on all of Public Health instead of allowing covid to be the only issue. But it is an election year... :sigh:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good points by Maher. Health and government officials should have been stressing the obesity issue as it pertains to Covid from day one. Daily exercise and a better diet can go a long way in avoiding many health issues and not just Covid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    As someone tried to indicate with Michelle Obama, people have the same anti-mask response when you ask them to eat healthy.

Also, as movies like Food, Inc. have shown, some poor people only have the time and the resources to eat exclusively from the fast food 99 cents menu.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    All I know is I've avoided restaurants and fast food joints, and relied on my own cooking and seasoning choices for the past 2 years. I'm down 70 pounds, back to my HS wrestling weight, and I'm pretty sure it isn't a coincidence. My blood work is solid and my belly disappeared. Funny how that works. It works pretty good on the budget as well.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What? Poor people only have time to exercise and only enough money to eat from a .99 fast food menu? That is ridiculous. It is cheaper to eat healthy in many cases and the great majority of Americans can find a half hour a day to exercise, even if it’s just going outside for a brisk walk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If the numbers Maher are citing are accurate, there is definitely something to this. I've yet to see a study specifically linking obesity to covid consequences. Perhaps @philnotfil or @duchen know something about this. To the bigger problem - American diets are lousy and it's not all the fault of the populace. Look at the confluence of FF restaurants and all the processed garbage sold in the grocery stores. What are the commercials pimping on TV? Is it fresh fruits and vegetables? Also - eating healthy requires more than effort and careful planning; it can tend to be expensive.

A visit to Taiwan is worth the vacation, even if only for the food. Every city hosts endless street vendors who, get this - don't peddle caramel corn, corn dogs, hot dogs, and chicken tenders; they sell fresh foods including meats, vegetables, tofu, rice, etc. Sure - you can get your share of fried delicacies there, but the biggest difference is that very little of what they serve is processed. The last time I visited, I'd take a walk early every morning to explore new streets in Taipei. Just about every corner has a micro-sized food vendor preparing fresh food early on. The smells are amazing. They eat great food. It's fresh and it's balanced. For America to do that, we would have to rebel against the commercial nature of our economy.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Still is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Latest evidence on obesity and COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Got to disagree with on that point. Healthy choices are almost always more expensive. If you have to eat on the road as part of your job, a double.cheese burger is often 99.cents and a grilled chicken sandwich 4 or 5 bucks. Sub the fries for a salad is often an up charge.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Where can you get a double cheese burger for 99 cents? Asking for a friend.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    That is awesome. You've definitely added quite a few years to your life (I should know).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1