Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bill Maher calls out US media over Covid coverage

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator95, Apr 17, 2021.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Did you miss the part of your own link that talked about the impact of aggressive lockdowns on Africa? You quoted it.

Africa's low numbers are a combination of a lack of testing, swift lockdowns and experience with mitigation tactics, and age (partially caused by the high rate of other diseases, which has caused a lot of death for people that would be older).

BTW, a lack of testing is part of what Florida is doing. While they have about 7k more cases per million people than California, they have run about 200k less tests per million people as well.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. Hey, when you know the death rate in FL and CA are almost identical, lets focus on something else! Good job. Proving Maher right again!

3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At some point will the media call out these so called "experts" on their BS?

Opinion | How Texas and Mississippi's Covid unmasking pours gas on a fire

"Faced with a fire burning down your house, you don’t reach for a can of gasoline. But that’s exactly what the governors of Texas and Mississippi are doing this week, by giving up on mask mandates when the pandemic fire is still raging. And their decisions are putting people at risk of losing everything, including their lives.

These announcements came the same day that Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said “now is not the time” to loosen protections because the number of new cases and deaths are again increasing across the United States.

We know, absolutely and unequivocally, that masks stop the spread of Covid-19. Masks are one of the most effective nonpharmaceutical protections against the pandemic. Studies of individuals show that when both the infected and uninfected person wear masks — even cloth masks — the rate of transmission of the virus decreases by approximately 70 percent. The protective effect increases even further when better-fitting or higher-quality masks are worn. The amount of protection we get from good masks is, in fact, only slightly lower than that of vaccination (although vaccination obviously has other benefits)."

[​IMG]

Maybe someone can help me out here, but it seems that TX and MS are doing ok. I guess we should wait 2 weeks LOL.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Obviously I didn't miss it, since I quoted it--but they down played its impact against other factors (they also down played the whole testing/under-reporting angle that y'all hung your hats on), while age featured rather prominently.

The end result is the same however--our efforts to control the pandemic yield paltry results against their costs. Average age, climate and such--things we have no control over--have much greater impact than government policies (except it appears, with Cali vs Florida, where Cali's policies have managed to keep it competitive with Florida's far more elder population...hmmmm...I digress...).

Either way, it does not bode well for the neo-progressive government worshipance.

Now, if you dare factor in for 'affordability'--as in, can we afford to lock everything up until the pandemic fades into history? Can we afford more 'stimulus' bullshit???

...and recognize that we are not 'paying' for the stims, but rather borrowing monies, taking about 2/3 of it in pumping it into (read: pissing it away) bloated ass bureaucracy, then trickling the left over crumbs into the population as 'stimulus', you see we add about 7 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT, for about 1.5 TRILLION DOLLARS invested in the economy....for a robust ROI of alike .5 % GDP per annum. Groovy!

We'll probably finally get the upper hand on the pandemic by imploding the economy, and starving our population to death (hey, viruses can't proliferate without hosts, right? "Scorch the earth", on steroids!). :ninja2:

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Aren't you the person who, on this very thread, declared death statistics "BS numbers?"

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, if you just ignore the role of government interventions that your own links state, suddenly government interventions don't matter.

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They are. Still have to use some semblance of data when comparing how a state is doing versus other states. Keep trying! I get it. You have no answer to why CA and FL are so close yet had drastically different requirements. Keep trying to poke holes, because we both know you don't have an answer to why CA and FL are so similar.

8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So they are BS numbers but you rely on them to make comparisons fully? I used other data and you were mad and want me to switch to BS numbers now?

It seems like your opinions on the usefulness of death statistics is very contextual on whatever argument you want to make. When they work for you, they are the only thing that matters. When they don't, they are BS. Seems disingenuous to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All the numbers are not accurate. Positive PCR tests are BS for sure. The false positives are a huge issue as well as using any positive PCR threshold over 30 but the US uses 40. That's a joke. I'm sure you know that as well but have your head in the sand, again. But hey, keep it up. Keep fighting for CA lockdowns! Good job!

10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    All numbers are BS, but let me head over here and try to compare numbers when they can be shaped into matching my narrative is a pretty weird position.

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Stop posting all these graphs. No one is buying it. And it’s kind of odd.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You mean like "testing"? Weren't y'all saying that the reason for Africa's low numbers, was lack of testing??? Which is it?

Are Africa's numbers low due to lack of testing, or because-they--in the aggregate--had their shit so buttoned up, that every single nation in the continent of Africa so aggressively clamped down, that they all but eradicated the pesky bug from their continent...

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They both lack testing and engaged in massive lockdowns. There were two strategies that work to locking down the virus early (and you can check the mega threads, I was saying this in mid March last year): draconian lockdowns and a massive testing and isolating regime. Africa went with the first. While the lack of testing likely means that the impacts on the continent are not fully captured, draconian lockdowns are an effective strategy early in a disease to minimize it's spread and stop it from getting out of control. The most successful responses were countries that picked a lane and committed to it fully.

Africa has a lot of experience in substituting behavioral change for medical care for obvious reasons.

14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably an under-count attributable to lack of testing.
    But numerous seroprevalence surveys, which use blood tests to identify whether people have antibodies from prior infection with the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), point to a significant underestimation of African countries’ COVID burden. Undercounting could increase the risk of the disease spreading widely, hinder vaccine rollout and uptake, and ultimately threaten global efforts to control the pandemic, experts warn. Wherever the virus is circulating—especially in regions with little access to vaccines—new mutations are likely to arise, and it is crucial to identify them quickly.
    Hidden Toll of COVID in Africa Threatens Global Pandemic Progress
    The following article is almost a year old but it's apparently still relevant.
    African Countries Scramble to Ramp up Testing for COVID-19

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. Yeah if I was a lockdown/school closure enthusiast I wouldn’t want someone posting those graphs either. Tough luck

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You can’t offer one factor that makes the counties different. Except your snarky condescending attitude. And that is a distinction that had no effect on the virus. For example. Melbourne and Sydney aren’t big enough cities for you? Please explain the differences. Everyone is waiting.

17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Where did I say DeSantis should have shut down air travel. Your post is a flat out lie. Stop lying about what I say and don’t say. The most deceitful form of argument is to make up an argument and attribute it to someone else just to refute that argument. Not really surprising from you. DeSantis cannot shut down air travel. It is interstate commerce.

18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. One factor? Australia-25 million residents, 3.3 people per square Kilo

US-330 million residents,92.9 per square mile.

thanks. Again, you are proving MAHER right post after post.

19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Your Distinctions are meaningless. There are wide areas of Australia where no one lives. It has large cities where the virus could have spread. That does not explain the lack of presence of the virus in those large cities.

20. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I don’t know why people literally continue to argue with someone who just obviously trolls everyone.