Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bill Maher calls out US media over Covid coverage

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator95, Apr 17, 2021.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t always agree with Maher but he hit the nail on the head with this take.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Thank you Bill!!! The media has been a source of major confusion and misinformation. The only party to this fiasco that has done worse is that fool Fauci!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For some reason neither @AgingGator nor @gator95 were praising Bill Maher when he bashing Trump, Republican politicians or the right-wing media for it's distortions. That being said it shouldn't be surprising that the media emphasizes the negative aspects of an issue, that's what sells. Using an analogy although only an estimated seven percent of BLM protesters engaged in looting and vandalism, it's the destruction and violence that receives the coverage by both the MSM and especially the right-wing media. I have to admit that I was surprised by the ignorance of the left on the issue of Covid-19. On one hand we have righties some of whom still believe it's a hoax and oppose any measures to limit its spread and on the other hand there are the liberals who believe the virus is worse than it really is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I have thought he was quite reasonable (well half the time) lol, since before he was kicked off ABC.

He calls out BS all the time

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Fail. I didn’t vote for trump in 16 or 20. Trump was a terrible president and is a terrible human being. Besides that, glad you and others listen to what the media says. That’s the problem. The media used to have standards and did their jobs. That time has passed. I think a media member who actually reports the news and stops the BS could be successful. I don’t think we have that with any of our MSM at this time unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Sounds very similar to the libs who loved John McCain when he was
    'The Maverick", hated him for a year while he ran for president, then fell in love with him all over again when he voted against repeal of the ACA.

Or the libs who hated Romney as a presidential candidate but loved him as a Senator because of he and Trump's dislike of each other. Something tells me that the love affair would be short lived if he announced a 2024 campaign.

The fiasco of COVID is not that it is a hoax. It is that it has never been serious enough to inflict the amount of economic devastation that has been inflicted on the US economy. I have maintained this for a year now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009
    Actual facts and context are hard to come by. Everything turns into a political football. One side calls it fake. So the other side takes the position that it is worse than it actually is.

Part of the issue is people really don't understand stats. Even republicans had a greatly exaggerated sense of how likely you end up in a hospital.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    For perspective, our country lost 450k lives in ww2 in four years. 48k in Vietnam in Approx 10 yrs. And we know the distress and anguish those losses caused.

In just over a year Covid has killed over 560,000 people in the us...and counting. Maher disregards that fact. He’s then dismissive and even mocks the covid sick and dead about being overweight.

agree the press should give all the facts (they aren’t?), but Maher should provide specifics on how the press is misleading instead of using generalities and silly hyperbole to make his point.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The MSM and social media outlets are obedient lapdogs eating up every load of unadulterated horseshit that rolls out of our ministries of control and telling us we're idiots if we don't do the same. TASS was no worse.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The truth is hopelessly lost in the agendas. We'll never know what it is.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One should not boast about how long one has been consistently incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The right has never treated the pandemic with any seriousness because of one reason. POLITICS. Look how they reacted to Obama and the virtually non-story Ebola. Killed like 2 or 4 people? Then look at how they reacted to Trump in office with coronavirus. Heck, righties closed down their own states while complaining about liberals. There have been some minor disputes over some nuances between states mostly with density differences.

As the right lied about the virus the officials used the worse case scenarios more often to get their attention.

Sure there are some issues I take exception too, like wearing masks if fully vaccinated for the 5 % chance it didn’t work on you. But with righties being stupid I’m fine with overcorrecting.

• Come On Man x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Maher was pretty specific in calling out the data and where he thought the misinfo was. He used that as a springboard into his normal anti-obesity/diabetes schtick that fat shaming might be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, this has been an odd part of his crusade. I don’t disagree on his larger point about obesity and the lack of will to address it. But he acts as if the CDC is failing by not leading every announcement with instructions on how to boil asparagus. By his rationale every convo with your doctor is a fail if it isn’t just about your crappy diet.

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It’s the way the US counts deaths that is the issue. When you make anyone dying with 30 days of having Covid be the cause of death, than all you have is BS numbers. Did a lot of people die from Covid? Yes. Do I think it’s close the reported number? Not even close. IF we counted anyone who has had the flu and the. Died within 30 days I wonder how many deaths the Flu would cause in the US? Especially if we tested people who don’t feel sick at all and use a very hyper sensitive PCR test. This is not to dismiss Covid as the flu, I’m pointing out the disparity in how they are tested, counted and covered by our media. One of my best friends had Covid and Hs had long Covid symptoms for months afterwards. I know this is real. But the closing of schools in the fall was stupid with the data that was present at the time.

• Come On Man x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    if anything it’s under reported.

‘There’s no doubt that deaths were underreported:’ Many Iowans dying with symptoms like COVID-19

Florida is undercounting COVID-19 deaths, per new report

Study: US COVID cases, deaths far higher than reported

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And, again it should be pointed out that this is not how death reporting works. Not even close. Here is a description of how it actually occurs if somebody is interested in how it actually works:

How are COVID-19 deaths counted? It’s complicated

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL. I guess heart disease, dementia and cancer stopped happening during Covid...

The math doesn’t workout even if you assign every single excess death in 2020 to Covid. Most rational people know that but that’s what happens when some people listen to what the media tell us and believe everything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    Not sure if this was posted before, if so I missed it. I am pleasantly surprised that NYT printed this as they were part of the problem.

[​IMG]

Covid coverage by the U.S. national media is an outlier, a study finds.

20. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Better perspective, IMO. Spanish flu:

Population of USA in 1918. 103 million.
    population of USA in 1918
    Deaths from Spanish flu. 675,000
    History of 1918 Flu Pandemic | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Equivalent deaths today would be 2.162 million; or, about the number that was initially estimated when this broke out.

Thankfully, we’ve learned some things about the flu and contagion in 100 years and that’s helped; but, the shutting down of the economy was excessive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1