Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Big Tech (Particularly Google) Present Biggest Threat to Democracy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by madgator, Jul 21, 2019.

1. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    It doesn't take a genius to understand that these tools gather data for a multitude of purposes. One search on shoes and every web site you go to has an ad for shoes on it. What the US is trying to avoid is regulation such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). These regulations were implemented in Europe in 2016 to protect the consumer. They are much more stringent in the handling of your personal information. In a GUI driven environment they must identify what they want from you and for what purposes it will be used. The request must be presented to the end user in a question answer format that requires the end user to respond. The end user may at anytime ask for their personal data and may at any time require that their personal data be removed. Also GDPR requires explicit confirmation from end users to share their data with any third party. IE a company cannot collect data on you and share it with anyone else which effectively puts a stop to selling mailing lists.

Is GDPR the answer to online protection? Possibly not but it is a huge step in the right direction and one I doubt we will ever see in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    But seriously, it's much harder to see the bias when your liberal.
    For example...I have a hard time sorting through pro-liberal content if I'm looking for US is not a racist nation. It's all there, but one must do a little wading in the weeds.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If you think it's some evil plot to influence your thinking, you could always just turn that feature off.

... -> Settings -> Advanced -> Sync and Google Services

[​IMG]

But then you wouldn't get to advance conspiracy theories about it any more.

4. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    If only it were that simple. Not so fast...six.
    I made a joke, but the pages of pro-liberal web articles out number the conservative ones drastically. Kind of the same thing on TV. One Fox news and then the rest are...ugh.

5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I didn't know that. Do you have a link to the data that shows it to be true?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

You know what they say, garbage in, garbage out. If you search for things like that, no wonder your search results are a mess. On a purely quantitative basis, don't you think "liberal" publications write quite a bit more about racism in America than conservatives, who in polling don't seem to think its much of a problem? Likewise if I googled "Obama birth certificate" in 2010 what sort of results was I going to get? A lot of conservative media that's for sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Now I'm curious.....be back in a few

8. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Ok....I know that search results change but here's today's result

Obama's archives
    wiki
    cnn
    nyt
    wapo
    snopes
    rationalwiki
    vox
    economist
    amazon

9. wgbgator

Unless you also time traveled back to 2010 then this is a pretty useless experiment.

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Unless you have a time machine, setting the date range to 2010 in your Google search doesn't guarantee you'll see all the articles and websites from 2010. It only means you'll see all the articles and websites from 2010 that are still around in 2019.

Also the top results in 2016 of a search confined to articles from 2010 will differ from that same search in 2010 as the results people are interested in in 2016 most likely differ from the results that they were interested in in 2016. Googles search algorithms take that into account.

11. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Not a bad point, however, you might be surprised how many liberal outlets wrote against the birther idea as well as other myriads of defending Obama pieces.
    You cannot convince me the liberal presence on the web is any where close to even to the cons.

12. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Not entirely....being that these days I'm sure that the topic isn't as frequent or as relevant a search, it's curious to see who is getting top billing.

might also have to re-visit the "American inventor" search now that we are decently removed from black history month

13. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Just googled "American inventors"

of the 13 pictures at the top 11 are black (Edison and bell being the only whites)
    of the next 12 pictures 6 are white and 6 are black

so that's 17 of first 25 American inventors

Hmmm, pretty consistent with the results of the search back in early March when it was explained to me that google returns are based on relevance and frequency of the queries and that being that we were so close to February (black history month) that the results would therefore be skewed to return African-American inventors

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. wgbgator

Sure but at the height of birtherism WorldNet Daily, Newsmax, etc cranking out 3 pieces daily to readers who cant get enough coverage vs. one monthly NYT piece about birtherism developments, that's going to weigh search results toward the former if you're not refining your search criteria.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

It really gives up the game when you insist that not showing more white inventors is somehow evidence of bias toward conservatives.

16. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Sure. But that's just one example. The libbies own the net....now you just have to eventually own that fact.

17. wgbgator

I don't particularly understand the idea that google is some kind of "liberal" institution. Seems far more committed to say, capitalism, keeping its taxes low and making sure it dominates the market, like you know, a corporation. Your theory is that Google is more committed to say some vague, squishy notion of cultural (rather than political) liberalism than its own bottom line? That seems far fetched to me. Most of this seems to be conservatives lamenting that they don't also dominate the culture instead of just politics and power, but if you did then what would you complain about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    It's not just my theory. Epstein just revealed his studies on this subject.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Remember the big discussion on the board about google search results on "American inventors" back in early March?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. wgbgator

Which Epstein ... the guy that says google directly affected millions of votes or the pedophile? Either way, I'm not sure what credibility they possess other than you agree with them.